Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 05 Nov 2021
  • The Omaha Meats have arrived and evaluation of the product will begin.  I have tried to develop some criteria which we will apply to each sample and each producer.  The criteria is as follows:

A.  Objective Criteria
         1.  How the meat was packaged and whether it arrived fresh or frozen
         2.  Size of the piece of meat including measurements and weight
         3.  Price per item/ dollar per pound
         4.  Photos of meat in packaging, prior to cooking, during cook, after cook
         5.  All meats will be cooked on the Memphis Pro using the same pellets.  Temperatures of the cook will be noted but will try for a medium rare on all
              pieces. There will be no marinating of meats.  Only salt and pepper will be used for seasoning

B.  Subjective Criteria
          1.  Both Bentley and Kristin will taste test and offer opinions.
          2.  Tenderness will be graded on the following scale -- tough, slightly tough, slightly tender, tender, very tender
          3.  Taste will be graded on the following scale -- no discernable flavor, average flavor, good flavor, excellent flavor.

We understand our subjective criteria may not be the same as yours and so we may offer additional comments.  We will also answer questions.

Arrived by FedEx.  If I had not been in the garage working, would have never know it was here.  No door bell, no text from FedEx, but I despise them as a company, so will move past that.  No text or call from Omaha, even though a preceding email had told me to be prepared for a call.  I do see that an email arrived 1:07pm, I guess about the time the package was delivered.

• #2 by Bentley on 05 Nov 2021
  • There was still dry ice in container.  The meat is vac sealed and rock hard.

CFS

Top Sirloin

Rib-Eye

Flat Iron

Burger

• #3 by Bentley on 05 Nov 2021
  • This will be dinner.  When I 1st started opening boxes, here is the 1st cut I recognize, Tenderloin.  Then I realized I did not order any Filet!  All I will say is it is the most unique looking Rib-eye steak I have ever seen.  The marbling looks like USDA Choice to me, maybe I am being unfair.  Your thoughts?

• #4 by bbqking01 on 05 Nov 2021
  • I’ve read and heard  about Omaha steaks for a long time. At one time there was an Omaha steak store near me….I can’t stand their meat. I’ve tried it more than once and it’s like, utility grade packaged fancy. Lipstick on a pig. I’m not dissing you, and maybe I was just unlucky….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #5 by Bentley on 05 Nov 2021
  • I have heard other comments like yours.  We will see, it is the reason we are doing it as we have never had it and I want 1st hand knowledge.  Kind of expensive knowledge for a Cheap Screw!
  • #6 by bbqking01 on 05 Nov 2021
  • I’ve not seen an extensive review, so I’m very interested in hearing your impressions. Keep posting pics and impressions of the meat….

• #7 by Kristin Meredith on 05 Nov 2021
  • Rib-eye evaluation:

1.  Arrived frozen and vac sealed, thawed for cooking. There were 4 pieces in the total order, but we are cooking 2 tonight.
    2.  One piece weighted 6.24 oz and the other 6.10 oz.  They were each 1 3/4 inches tall and about 3 1/2 by 2 3/4 in width and length.
    3.  The rib-eyes were $66 for 4 steaks, $44 per pound, $16.50 per steak (if I have done my math correctly).

Kristin's comments:

1.  The steak was tender.
    2.  The steak was well cooked, but had no discernable flavor.  My mashed potatoes had more flavor.
    3.  I love rib-eye and have eaten a lot of it over the years.  The flavor was very disappointing and about on par with an average cut from a supermarket.  No one is missing anything by giving this cut by Omaha a pass.

Bent's comments:

Tender, trending to very.
    No discernable flavor, no taste of a well marbled piece of meat.  I would compare the flavor to a USDA Select.  And my steak was heavy seasoned.
  • #8 by Bentley on 05 Nov 2021
  • Grilled on Memphis Pro, 550° turned 3 times @ 2 minute intervals, then pit set at 425° and steaks cook till IT of 135° and pulled.  Screwed the Pooch on the 3rd turn!

• #9 by Bentley on 05 Nov 2021
  • You can see the carry over.  Should have pulled at 127°.

• #10 by SmokinHandyman on 05 Nov 2021
  • They look good and juicy.  :lick:
  • #11 by 02ebz06 on 05 Nov 2021
  • Looks tasty!
  • #12 by Kristin Meredith on 05 Nov 2021
  • They were very juicy.
  • #13 by bbqking01 on 05 Nov 2021
  • Wonder if a marinade would add flavor?

• #14 by W6YJ on 05 Nov 2021
  • 2.  The steak was well cooked, but had no discernable flavor.  My mashed potatoes had more flavor.

This is a classic. From what I have read, it is about what is expected of their meat.

Hopefully some of the other cuts will be more positive.
  • #15 by Bentley on 05 Nov 2021
  • For the price/lb. it should rub my feet before it is cooked!  For me, meat at this price should not even need SnP...but you are right in the sense that the next time I eat the rib-eye, it will be steak Diane or will have a bearnaise sauce!

Wonder if a marinade would add flavor?
Pages:
Actions