Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Hank D Thoreau on 05 Nov 2021
  • In my opinion, if it is an outstanding piece of meat, it should taste good with no seasoning at all. I think you gave it a fair test adding just salt and pepper.
  • #17 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Nov 2021
  • I think most people, me included, are thinking they will have one of the best steaks they have ever eaten in their life for what they paid for meat from Omaha Steaks.  If it is possible for one to not think about what they paid for the steak while they are eating it, I think it would rate better than steaks bought at most grocery stores.  I can certainly understand the disappointment when you assess the value of what you have eaten versus the cost of what you have eaten.

To me a $66/# steak that you buy from the menu in a good steakhouse cooked at that price is so much better than what you get from Omaha Steaks.  But, I if my memory serves me right, the Omaha Steaks are probably better tasting than what you get at Texas Roadhouse, Outback, or whatever your local chain steakhouse is named.

Omaha Steaks is about as good a marketing company as Bose speakers IMO.
  • #18 by Bentley on 05 Nov 2021
  • I have been to very few Steak Houses, High or Low end!  My benchmark is a Steak I had with Larry & Brenda Hill in 2013 at the Old Homestead Steakhouse at Caesars in Las Vegas.  It was $65 just for the Rib-eye, but as I said, best Steak I have ever eaten!

This Omaha Rib-eye was no where near as good as something you can get at any Costco!
  • #19 by elenis on 05 Nov 2021
  • I haven't gotten Omaha steaks in a long time. I was so excited maybe 10 years ago when I ordered a bundle only to be really disappointed in the meat. I hope something that you bought ends up being enjoyable for you. I just hope as you order from these places you don't go broke before trying out the stuff from Snake River Farms. I really want to try a nice Wagyu cut or two, but I am so afraid of messing up such a beautiful piece of meat. I buy most of my meat at a tiny gas station / grocery store near my house. It is family owned and the groceries are expensive there, but they have pretty good meat prices and they sell enough meat out of this tiny store to have 5 full time butchers on staff.
  • #20 by Bentley on 05 Nov 2021
  • Snake River is up next!
  • #21 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Nov 2021
  • I have been to very few Steak Houses, High or Low end!  My benchmark is a Steak I had with Larry & Brenda Hill in 2013 at the Old Homestead Steakhouse at Caesars in Las Vegas.  It was $65 just for the Rib-eye, but as I said, best Steak I have ever eaten!

This Omaha Rib-eye was no where near as good as something you can get at any Costco!

I've been fortunate enough through my work experiences to have eaten at probably 20+ steak houses in Chicago and other places throughout the country.  I don't eat at them often on my own money.  But, I am a firm believer that paying that $65 for a steak is a much more enjoyable experience than paying $20-$30 for a steak at a national or regional restaurant.  I think the Omaha Steaks are similar in taste and tenderness to what you would find at those $20-$30 places but the cost of the raw meat is 2x+ of those places so the value has never been there for me.  Even places like the several steakhouses by Emeril, Shula's, etc are worth the money to me on someone else's dime or on a very special occasion.
  • #22 by 1MoreFord on 05 Nov 2021
  • While no first hand experience I have heard favorable things about Creekstone Farms meat and Wild Fork foods too if you taste test more down the road.

https://www.creekstonefarms.com/

https://wildforkfoods.com/
  • #23 by jdmessner on 06 Nov 2021
  • I appreciate the review. It meshes with what I have heard and know about them.

I have only had an Omaha rib-eye once. Several years ago I was invited to a cookout by someone who wanted to do something nice for my wife and I. Glen was a great guy with a big heart. If he liked something he would buy into it 100% and I think he bought into the Omaha marketing and sales pitch 110%! He often talked about how the cows were raised along with the quality and tenderness of the meat. I think he ordered them fairly often, even though he lived on a very limited fixed income.

The Omaha Steak Company was not selling him meat, they were selling him an image. He was probably their target customer because it didn't actually matter what the meat tasted like. He was not a coinsure, but because of what he beloved to be true he sure felt like one. To him it was the best steak on earth and there was no way you could ever tell him otherwise. Even though there were better steaks at a better price, there was no way to match the satisfaction he got from grilling those Omaha steaks. I felt fortunate to have shared that experience with him. He passed away not too long after we were over. His wife later told me it was his last time behind the grill. RIP Glen!
  • #24 by ylr on 06 Nov 2021
  • Can you reuse the Styrofoam cooler? At least that's something, if you can. Never seen a round ribeye before....
  • #25 by glitchy on 06 Nov 2021
  • Bentley, with SRF you should order a couple Gold Ribeye Filets as they’ll be cut identical to the Omaha Steak you just ordered and a couple of the Prime full sized steaks under the Double D Ranch label…if you haven’t already decided exactly what to order. You experience with Omaha is about what I remember from 10-15 years ago when I tried it.
  • #26 by reubenray on 06 Nov 2021
  • Bentley - thanks for taking on this.  I have always wondered about Omaha, but I won't anymore.
  • #27 by Kristin Meredith on 06 Nov 2021
  • n order to clarify folks, it was not $66 for one ribeye.  It was 4 ribeyes for $66 or $16.50 for one ribeye, which is still plenty for one 6 oz piece of meat (comes out to $44 per pound). And I have eaten in a fair amount of steakhouses with clients -- Morton's, Ruth Chris's, Peter Luger, Nick & Steph, etc -- and this was near that level of tenderness, but not flavor.

We were gifted a wagyu brisket from Snake River Farms.  I was not impressed.
  • #28 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Nov 2021
  • n order to clarify folks, it was not $66 for one ribeye.  It was 4 ribeyes for $66 or $16.50 for one ribeye, which is still plenty for one 6 oz piece of meat (comes out to $44 per pound). And I have eaten in a fair amount of steakhouses with clients -- Morton's, Ruth Chris's, Peter Luger, Nick & Steph, etc -- and this was near that level of tenderness, but not flavor.

Thanks for clarifying the cost and your assessment of the tenderness.

I know you are attempting to have a controlled environment with your comparative evaluations.  However, do you think if these Omaha Steaks were cooked in a different manner with different seasonings, butter in a pan, or with some sort of sauce, etc. that they may have had similar flavor to higher end steakhouses that you mentioned?
  • #29 by Kristin Meredith on 06 Nov 2021

Thanks for clarifying the cost and your assessment of the tenderness.

I know you are attempting to have a controlled environment with your comparative evaluations.  However, do you think if these Omaha Steaks were cooked in a different manner with different seasonings, butter in a pan, or with some sort of sauce, etc. that they may have had similar flavor to higher end steakhouses that you mentioned?

We won't do it immediately, but Bent has mentioned that for the remaining two, he will maybe cook in a pan with butter. He then wants a sauce.  I would just like to see if pan and butter would make a difference without a sauce.  I mean, you can put a good sauce on cardboard and make it tasty, so not a fan of paying big prices for a piece of meat and then really just enjoying the sauce.
  • #30 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Nov 2021
  • That will be good to hear and see the results of that cook with butter and/or sauce.
Pages:
Actions