Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Bentley on 06 Nov 2021
  • Yes, you can.

In all fairness to Omaha, I did not realize that the Rib-eyes I was ordering would be this way.  They are called Omaha-Cut Ribeyes, there was a Rib-eye, but it was $79.99 for 4 and the ones I got were $66.  So the Cheap Screw just assumed the would be the same, not quite fair to Omaha.

Intresting to know about SRF, would be good to compare.

Can you reuse the Styrofoam cooler? At least that's something, if you can. Never seen a round ribeye before....

Bentley, with SRF you should order a couple Gold Ribeye Filets as they’ll be cut identical to the Omaha Steak you just ordered...
  • #32 by Bentley on 06 Nov 2021
  • Will be the Chicken Fried Steak for dinner.  Details to come.  I will share that it says to cook in 400° oven.  That is not happening.  Will be Deep Fried in Peanut Oil.  So if it come out bad, I will have to take partial blame for the cooking style, but CFS is not baked.
  • #33 by 02ebz06 on 06 Nov 2021
  • I'm guessing they are going under the assumption that not everyone has a deep fryer, but does have a kitchen oven.
  • #34 by Bentley on 06 Nov 2021
  • Makes sense, but all I use is a 4qt sauce pan.
  • #35 by Kristin Meredith on 06 Nov 2021
  • Chicken Fried Steak evaluation:

1.  Arrived frozen and sealed, it was not thawed for cooking. There were 4 pieces in the total order, but we are cooking 3 tonight.
    2.  The pieces weighted about 4.5 oz each.  They were each 1/4 inches tall and about 4 by 5 1/2 in width and length.
    3.  The CFS were $15 for 4 steaks, $13.30 pound, $3.75 per steak (if I have done my math correctly).

Kristin's comments:

1.  Bentley fried instead of baked, so a crispy outside and tender inside.
    2.  The CFS did have good flavor and was better than most restaurant CFS I have eaten, including at Goodson's Cafe in Houston.
    3.  Bentley made gravy and had on his.  I had a little gravy on the side as I am not big on the gravy covering the CFS.  The breading to meat was pretty decent and not over-powering.  With that said, there was just too little meat in the CFS.  They need to use a thicker cut of meat to make it something I would buy again.

Bent's comments:

Great breading, better then 95% of All CFS I have had.  You would have ruined this by baking.  Very tender, but to be expected.
    Quite a peppery coating, I really enjoyed it.  Good flavor stand alone, great w/gravy!

This was the best CFS I have had in VA and better then the Goodson Café North of Houston in 2012!  This was better then 90% of every CFS I have ever had.  Would it be that way coming out of an oven, no way I believe it would!
  • #36 by Bentley on 06 Nov 2021
  • Deep Fried in Peanut Oil @ 350° for 5 minutes from frozen state, turned once

Yes, you are correct, I went with the Petro Iron Skillet double order!

• #37 by Bentley on 06 Nov 2021
  • This was flat out a great CFS!  Hard to pull the trigger on it when you look at it as $14/lb, much easier when you say that was the best $3.50 CFS patty I have ever bought!
  • #38 by 02ebz06 on 06 Nov 2021
  • I'm a CFS fan.  Unfortunately, none of the places that I go to have it.
  • #39 by reubenray on 06 Nov 2021
  • I'm a CFS fan.  Unfortunately, none of the places that I go to have it.

I am too, but I have a lot of options where I live now.  In fact I had a chicken fried steak breakfast last weekend and it was real steak.
  • #40 by Bentley on 07 Nov 2021

• #41 by Bentley on 07 Nov 2021
  • Hamburger Patty evaluation:

1.  Arrived frozen and sealed, it was not thawed for cooking. There were 4 pieces in the total order, but we are cooking 2 today.
    2.  The pieces weighted about 5oz each.  They were each 1/4 inches tall and about 5 in patty.
    3.  These were included gratis with order.

Cooked on Lodge griddle at 450° fliped3 times and pulled at 140° IT.  Only SnP for seasoning.

Kristin's comments:

1.  It was tender and cooked well, but it is a burger.
    2.  I did not like the flavor at all, it was very off putting to me.  Don't know how to even describe it.
    3. It was very juicy, but I am not having another. 

Bent's comments:

Very tender, but it is a burger.
    Good flavor.
    It was not really a special tasting burger.  Not as if you had ground up a Prime Rib Roast.  I would eat again, but would not buy them.  No better then say a Members Mark from Sams.
  • #42 by Bentley on 07 Nov 2021
  • It will be Wed. before anymore beef cooking.  Flat Iron & Sirloin left, any requests as to which one?
  • #43 by Kristin Meredith on 10 Nov 2021
  • Sirloin Supreme Steak evaluation:

1.  Arrived frozen and sealed, thawed for cooking. There were 4 pieces in the total order, but we are cooking 3 tonight. They are represented to have been
         aged at least 30 days and are the only product in our order which comes with a money back guarantee.
    2.  One piece weighted 5.86 oz, one was 6.14 oz and the last was 6.10 oz.  They were each 1 1/2 thick, and about 1 1/2 by 6 inches width and length.
    3.  The sirloins were $54 for 4 steaks, $36 per pound, $13.50 per steak (if I have done my math correctly).

Kristin's comments:

1.  The sirloin was somewhere between tender and very tender.  Mine was cooked to a medium rare.
    2.  The flavor was good, maybe "good plus". 
    3.  This is the best piece of meat I have tasted from the groupings so far.  Given current beef prices, it is probably worth the $13.50 price tag.

Bent's comments:

I would rate it tender on edges to very tender in center.
    I would say good flavor.
    It was more tender then I thought a Sirloin would be, and I have always thought Sirloin has good flavor.  This cut was more flavorful then the Rib-eye!
  • #44 by W6YJ on 10 Nov 2021
  • Bentley,

Off topic, but what are the small pieces of fruit with your burger and chips?
  • #45 by Bentley on 10 Nov 2021
  • That's a good one W! I am assuming you are joking, they are cheese balls!

Pages:
Actions