Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Nov 2021
  • Those look like tenderloin roasts that you would find on a pig.
  • #47 by Bentley on 10 Nov 2021
  • They reminded me of Country Ribs!  Man, I hit the wall had on this meal, most is still on my plate!
  • #48 by W6YJ on 10 Nov 2021
  • Aha, maybe time to get my eyes checked....

Aha, your last photo looks great
  • #49 by 02ebz06 on 10 Nov 2021
  • One thing I have to say about this testing, you sure are eating good!
  • #50 by Bentley on 13 Nov 2021
  • Ok the final cut.  The Flat Iron.  6.03 & 5.87oz. respectively.  Kristin will come in with the rest of the data and insert in here later.  I am also going to cook a 6.4oz USDA Select Strip from Restaurant Depot that has been Wet Aging since 11/1/21.  I want to see the comparison between $8.71/lb and a $30/lb piece of meat. 

• #51 by Bentley on 13 Nov 2021
  • 1st photo USDA Select Strip in back, Flat Iron in front. 2nd & 3rd photo Strip L, Flat Iron R.

Bent's comments:

I would rate it tender to very tender.
    I would say average flavor.  You needed salt n pepper to make it flavorful.

• #52 by Bentley on 13 Nov 2021
  • All done.  I want you all to know that I did not doubt those that felt this meat was way over priced for the money.  I just wanted 1st hand experience.

You have a piece of USDA Select Strip Steak from Restaurant Depot that is on the bargain table for $6.54/lb. and even regular price is $8.71. Wet aged 2 weeks, but the Omaha says it is at least 28 day aged, that is better then any of the beef from Omaha.

I do not say this to belittle the company, it is hard to run a business, and this is a family business.  I wish them no ill will, but this is not even supermarket beef.  Restaurant Depot and Costco are far superior at 1/2 to 2/3 the cost depending on the economy.   I thank you all for participating with us.

I am glad this was done 1st.  Can't imagine having had a bunch of quality tasting beef and end with this.  Will probably be next year before I get to the SRF. 
  • #53 by Bentley on 13 Nov 2021
  • "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!" Michael Corleone

JD just sent me a code for 25% off Certified Piedmontese Real Nebraska Beef...so being Bentley I said this is BS and went to set up and order, expecting when I got to check out and put in the code it would say all discounts have all ready been applied!  It did not, so they had me!  So 2 10oz. Boneless Ribeye Steaks, 1 28oz. T-Bone, 2 10oz New York Strip & 4lbs. of Complimentary Stew Beef will be on there way 12/19/21.  Figured we could have it over Christmas time.

Sorry folks who were waiting on SRF...it appears that wont happen till we get back from the West Coast trip in Feb!

No more lesser cuts either.  Rib-eye, T-Bone, Tenderloin or Strip from here on out!
  • #54 by bbqking01 on 13 Nov 2021
  • Bentley,

Off topic, but what are the small pieces of fruit with your burger and chips?
    Looks like Cheeto style cheese puffs to me.
    And the burger thing, rule of thumb is 80/20, and don’t smash out the flavor….unless you are doing smash burgers….but that’s a whole other bird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #55 by Bentley on 13 Nov 2021
  • 80/20 is for a healthy cheeseburger...I want 70/30 minimum!
  • #56 by bbqking01 on 13 Nov 2021
  • I want to taste it, but not have it shrink too much…I agree 70/30 has more flavor, but shrinks to much for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #57 by Bentley on 13 Nov 2021
  • Add more beef!  5oz patty seems just about perfect for my needs!
Pages:
Actions