Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 09 Dec 2021
  • They just shipped this, so I am going to assume we should have it by Saturday!
  • #2 by W6YJ on 09 Dec 2021
  • Looking forward to your results.
  • #3 by Bentley on 22 Dec 2021
  • OK, Covid in the rear view window and appetite coming back. So we will start with the T-Bone for Christmas Dinner!

The Certified Piedmontese Beef evaluation product will begin.  I have tried to develop some criteria which we will apply to each sample and each producer.  The criteria is as follows:

A.  Objective Criteria
         1.  How the meat was packaged and whether it arrived fresh or frozen
         2.  Size of the piece of meat including measurements and weight
         3.  Price per item/ dollar per pound
         4.  Photos of meat in packaging, prior to cooking, during cook, after cook
         5.  All meats will be cooked on the Memphis Pro using the same pellets.  Temperatures of the cook will be noted but will try for a medium rare on all
              pieces. There will be no marinating of meats.  Only salt and pepper will be used for seasoning

B.  Subjective Criteria
          1.  Both Bentley and Kristin will taste test and offer opinions.
          2.  Tenderness will be graded on the following scale -- tough, slightly tough, slightly tender, tender, very tender
          3.  Taste will be graded on the following scale -- no discernable flavor, average flavor, good flavor, excellent flavor.

We understand our subjective criteria may not be the same as yours and so we may offer additional comments.  We will also answer questions.
    Modify message
  • #4 by Brushpopper on 22 Dec 2021
  • OK, Covid in the rear view window and appetite coming back. So we will start with the T-Bone for Christmas Dinner!

Glad to hear you have that behind you. :clap:  And even a Select T-Bone is always good in my opinion and one of my favorites. :lick:
  • #5 by Bentley on 25 Dec 2021
  • Trying not to be biased and judgmental before testing, but for the per lb cost, not the marbling I would expect!  I will say it looks more Porterhouse then T-Bone to me!

• #6 by Kristin Meredith on 25 Dec 2021
  • This is the evaluation of the T-Bone Steak.

A.  Objective Criteria
         1.  The meat was vac sealed and arrived in a refrigerated container, but not completely frozen.
         2.  The T-bones total weight pre-cooked was 28 oz.
         3.  The cost before discount or shipping & tax $56.95.  That is $2.03/OZ or $32.54/lb.

B.  Subjective Criteria
          1.  Both Bentley and Kristin will taste test and offer opinions.
          2.  Tenderness will be graded on the following scale -- tough, slightly tough, slightly tender, tender, very tender
          3.  Taste will be graded on the following scale -- no discernable flavor, average flavor, good flavor, excellent flavor.

We understand our subjective criteria may not be the same as yours and so we may offer additional comments.  We will also answer questions.
  • #7 by hughver on 25 Dec 2021
  • I noticed on their web site that there is no USDA grade to their meat. Tenderness is supposedly breed in. It does not need marbling.
  • #8 by Bentley on 25 Dec 2021
  • Memphis Pro set @ 625°.  Steak grilled 3 minutes per side then turned.  After 3 turns and 12 minutes, temperature set to 500° and steak cook additional 9 minutes till IT of 127°.  Rested 5 minutes and cut at 137° IT.

The Tenderloin side.

The Strip Side.

• #9 by Bentley on 25 Dec 2021
  • Tenderloin side very tender.  As tender a filet as I have had in awhile.  Good flavor for tenderloin, most flavor comes from seasoning, but for me that is usually true of any tenderloin.  Strip side was tender, average flavor.  Not like I had hoped, but when the marbling is not there, I usually expect that!  Worth $54, far from it for me, not worth half that price.
  • #10 by Kristin Meredith on 25 Dec 2021
  • I thought that both the tenderloin and the strip were very tender.  I also thought both had good flavor, but not great flavor.

$54 would be for the two of us, so each of our "steaks" cost $27.  In this meat price inflation era, a bit more than I would expect but not overboard.
  • #11 by yorkdude on 26 Dec 2021
  • Cooked perfect.
    I have looked at their website a few times, seems to be priced like the other mail order stores.
  • #12 by 02ebz06 on 26 Dec 2021
  • Thanks for the review!
  • #13 by Bentley on 26 Dec 2021
  • We will see Weds if the Rib eyes have a little more flavor.  They also sent some stew meat that I am going to make Beef Stroganoff with!
  • #14 by Free Mr. Tony on 26 Dec 2021
  • LOVE a good beef stroganoff. Haven't made it for quite some time.
  • #15 by urnmor on 26 Dec 2021
  • I like the idea of the beef stroganoff
Pages:
Actions