Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by RSNovi on 09 Jan 2022
  • Hi All.  Do folks still get together and go in on full pallets of pellets?  I did this a few years ago and haven’t need any since.  I think then we were getting 40lb bags for around $9.  The sticky point is being able to unload the pallet.  I would be interesting in going on one.  I am in Michigan near Ann Arbor.
  • #2 by Bentley on 09 Jan 2022
  • I think they are, it is just a matter of finding folks who need them and are close to you.  You might find you get some hits with this post!
  • #3 by 02ebz06 on 10 Jan 2022
  • I just did it in July last year.
    My guess is that pellets for $9/40lb would not be food grade.
    It cost me $9/20lb bag delivered.
  • #4 by BigDave83 on 10 Jan 2022
  • I just did it in July last year.
    My guess is that pellets for $9/40lb would not be food grade.
    It cost me $9/20lb bag delivered.

Not sure what food grade pellets are, but heating pellets are usually in the $5-$6 a bag with cheaper by the pallet.
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 10 Jan 2022

• Not sure what food grade pellets are, but heating pellets are usually in the $5-$6 a bag with cheaper by the pallet.

Google this "Why should you use 100% food-grade wood pellets?"
  • #6 by Bentley on 10 Jan 2022
  • I do not believe there is a standard for "food grade".  If there is I would love to read about it.  It is a term that started about 10 years ago and has become part of the pellet nomenclature, but I do not believe there is any industry standard that is food grade.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Jan 2022
  • I do not believe there is a standard for "food grade".  If there is I would love to read about it.  It is a term that started about 10 years ago and has become part of the pellet nomenclature, but I do not believe there is any industry standard that is food grade.

I agree with this statement.  I think Traeger probably started it as a marketing scheme.
  • #8 by 02ebz06 on 10 Jan 2022

I agree also, but what we have is what the BBQ Pellet manufactures tell us, and I have no reason to disbelieve them.
    You do get wood choices; hickory, cherry, pecan, etc. pellets.

You don't get that with heating pellets.
    From what I've seen, most just say made with wood but don't specify what kind; hard, soft, or species.
    Some do say made with Oak.
  • #9 by RSNovi on 10 Jan 2022
  • I looked back and it was 5 years ago.  We got Lumberjack and Smoke Ring pellets.  I think it worked out to be around $10 for a 40 lb bag.  I noticed at Blain’s Farm and Fleet they are selling Lumberjack 20lb bags for $10.
  • #10 by 02ebz06 on 10 Jan 2022
  • I looked back and it was 5 years ago.  We got Lumberjack and Smoke Ring pellets.  I think it worked out to be around $10 for a 40 lb bag.  I noticed at Blain’s Farm and Fleet they are selling Lumberjack 20lb bags for $10.
    Last ones I bought (1.2 tons of 20# bags) were about $600 for the pellets and $500 for shipping.
    That is about $10/40lbs just for the pellets. The shipping here is what hurt.
  • #11 by Bentley on 10 Jan 2022
  • Here in Mayberry, the Lowes had both Soft Wood and hardwood pellets. I just bought 200lbs of the hard for $6.59/40lbs. Do I know what kind of hardwood, no.  Do I believe the bag contains 100% hardwood, yes.  The only other option I believe I have, although I have not really looked in about 4 years, is $20/20lb bags of Traeger from the local Co-op!  And for me, that is not a viable option.
  • #12 by 02ebz06 on 10 Jan 2022
  • Here in Mayberry, the Lowes had both Soft Wood and hardwood pellets. I just bought 200lbs of the hard for $6.59/40lbs. Do I know what kind of hardwood, no.  Do I believe the bag contains 100% hardwood, yes.  The only other option I believe I have, although I have not really looked in about 4 years, is $20/20lb bags of Traeger from the local Co-op!  And for me, that is not a viable option.

Isn't Traeger the company that adds flavored oils to the pellets rather using wood species to get the different flavors ?
  • #13 by BigDave83 on 10 Jan 2022
  • There are no standards to my knowledge for pellet for cooking. There are standards for heating pellets, all of the talk of railroad ties and chemical additives/binders you will not find in pellets for home use, they are for industrial use. Most heating pellets will have a small square (PFI label) somewhere usually close the bottom of the bag that shows the composition of the pellets. Not the actual wood break down but it will show percentage of hardwood and if softwood is used and anything added, usually soybean or vegetable oil for lubing dies if needed.

Many heating pellets today including the brand I have been using for the last few years (AWP) to heat with have a little picture of a grill and says great for pellet grilling or something to that effect. If you find a pellet and want to do some research, most of the companies I have contacted are pretty good with telling you about where their wood is sourced and they will usually tell you if people at the company use them in their grills also if you ask. I have not contacted any companies for a while, I was using Hamers Hot Ones for heat and after talking to them I started using them in my cookers probably 8 years or so ago. What I like about the Hamers is they are short, the buckets I would carry them into the house in to dump in the stove I could get about 2  1/3 buckets to a bag, most others I had used I would get 2  1/2 buckets to a bag. because of them being shorter volume changed like kosher and table salt, also these were primarily red oak.

I have used and still have some lumberjacks, different wood profiles, I can honestly say I cannot tell much difference in flavors when using them vs the hamers.

I kind of laugh at the Food Grade label, I have grown up in the mountains and woods of western PA I have yet to see a food grade forest, I also questioned where the log burner guys find food grade logs for their cooking.

Is there a difference in the pellets from heating to BBQ, probably more than just the cost? Yes, some are labeled as Apple, Cherry or a specific type or blend of wood. Now it comes down to being like anything else in life if you choose to believe what you read on the bag or what they tell you is in the bag then you are good and really that is all we have to go on. Unless we have access to being able to run analysis of the wood make of them.

After 8+ years of using heating pellets primarily for my cooking, I have not dies, grown a third eye or anything like that, so I am pretty good with using them. We are all different in our thought process, so I guess that is where the need for Food Grade terminology comes into play when it comes to pellets.

There is a rural king I stop at when I am close, to it they usually have LJ for around 6 or 7 bucks for a 20# not as good of a deal as $9/40# but not far off if you can not find someone to go in with you on a whole pallet.
  • #14 by yorkdude on 10 Jan 2022
  • I have not used anything other than heating pellets (hardwood) for I bet 7-8 years. No problems here either.
  • #15 by Bentley on 11 Jan 2022
  • That big growth on your neck went away then?    :pig:

I have not used anything other than heating pellets (hardwood) for I bet 7-8 years. No problems here either.
Pages:
Actions