Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by 4given on 07 Feb 2022
  • Anybody try Knotty Wood pellets?  They have 100% Almond and  100% Plum
  • #2 by Canadian John on 08 Feb 2022

•  Never heard of them.  Had a look @ their website. Different for sure - expensive too @ $1/ lb..  Not sure what flavour if any they would impart..  Why I say that is I used some lilac wood for smoking.  As

fragrant as lilac flowers are, the wood smoke was bitter with an unpleasant taste..  One would be led to believe these Almond and Plum pellets would impart a unique taste to the food. Perhaps they would.

I as well would be interested in how they play out.
  • #3 by Darwin on 08 Feb 2022
  • I think it was Curtis Stone that uses almond in his restaurant.  I would like to try them for cold smoking.  A restaurant I worked at used pear one night a week for grilling.  That’s the closest to plum I have used.  I think I was indifferent about it.
  • #4 by Mac_5 on 11 Feb 2022
  • I've used both the almond and the plum. Almond was very good and I'll use again. Plum had good flavor, but jammed the auger periodically so I probably won't use them again.
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 11 Feb 2022
  • Welcome to the forum Mac.
  • #6 by 4given on 11 Feb 2022
  • I've used both the almond and the plum. Almond was very good and I'll use again. Plum had good flavor, but jammed the auger periodically so I probably won't use them again.

Was the almond strong flavored?  I can buy some locally for $12 a bag. 
  • #7 by Mac_5 on 11 Feb 2022

Was the almond strong flavored?  I can buy some locally for $12 a bag.
    I don't think I would call it strong, but they gave a good level of flavor. At $12 you don't have much to lose.
  • #8 by JoeGrilling on 16 May 2022
  • The "Mad Scientist BBQ"  YouTube channel did a review on the Knotty Wood pellets a few days ago.  He conducted a brisket test comparing those cooked on a stick burner and a pellet smoker.  The pellets are sourced from orchard trees that were just thrown out in the past when an orchard is cleared and replanted.  The reviewer was impressed with brisket cooked with the Knotty Wood pellets when compared with the stick burner.   
  • #9 by JoeGrilling on 17 May 2022
  • The "Mad Scientist BBQ"  YouTube channel did a review on the Knotty Wood pellets a few days ago.  He conducted a brisket test comparing those cooked on a stick burner and a pellet smoker.  The pellets are sourced from orchard trees that were just thrown out in the past when an orchard is cleared and replanted.  The reviewer was impressed with brisket cooked with the Knotty Wood pellets when compared with the stick burner.   
    I went to my local ACE Hardware listed as a Knotty Wood retailer.  None were in stock.  The BBQ department manager said they were no longer carrying them.  He said Traeger pellets fly off the shelves, but it took a year for the pallet of Knotty Wood pellets to be sold.  The reviews on Home Depot and Lowes websites were mixed.   Some folks really did not like the pellets for things like ash and flame outs.  Some of the reviews sounded like they were coming from the same person.     
Pages:
Actions