Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Umai dry aging of whole beef strip  (Read 1963 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Umai dry aging of whole beef strip
« on: February 09, 2022, 05:08:50 PM »

Gave it my best shot.  First attempt with a whole strip uncut. $7.99 lb.  Total of $105. Hard getting it into the sack without making a mess. But did it on Jan 4.  Decided to open and cut it today (36 days at 36-38* in my fridge.)  Sorry, no pic of the strip before wrapping.
Results:  Unwrapped looks good, but felt very firm when picked up. I was afraid it might not be good inside but was happy to find this not true.

Lots of waste. You can see a steak vac sealed in the third from last pic.  Got 9 steaks about 1.25 inches thick.  Not show was the waste from cutting off the ends. Gonna have one of these tonight. Will cook it at 450* first, then when internal temp is 130* will use upside down GrillGrate to sear it. Will report after it is consumed. If I am not impressed with improvement of taste and tenderness, I will not repeat with other cuts. Lots of trouble ==so I hope it was worth it. 
 :bbq:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 10:35:27 AM by okie smokie »

okie smokie

Re: Umai dry aging of whole beef strip
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 08:03:23 PM »

No appreciable enhancement of either flavor or texture IMO. My wife agrees. Did my usual cook to 135* and it was medium as we like it.  It was drier than usual, and flavor IMO was not as pronounced as the unaged strips we have cooked. Have frozen the other 8 and will distribute them to my two children for opinion. Mostly, the added time, and preparation to complete the process was too much for so little (or none).  I'll just purchase individual steaks, vacuum seal and keep in fridge for 3-4 weeks, then freeze the ones not eaten. I guess that is wet aging--and not sure it enhances the tenderness or flavor either, but is a no brainer to do.
Happy trails to all.  :-[

okie smokie

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 07:15:01 PM »

My daughters family had the strips tonight. They have a Recteq 590.  The steaks were seasoned as I do with salt, pepper, onion powder, etc. Placed in smoker at 250 until  approaching Medium rare, and were removed and then the temp elevated to high. They were then placed on reversed GrillGrates and seared. They came out Medium/rare  with a nice seared surface.  In addition, they cooked two of their own un-aged prime strips of the same size and thickness. 
Report: 
Aged strips were very moist but not as much as the prime strips(more marbled).  Aged strips were more intense in flavor to them.  The un-aged strips were more tender than the aged choice steaks. So we both agreed that aging did not have appreciable effect on tenderness that was provable. 

Over all, while the flavor was bit more intense (I did not have that experience), there was not enough overall improvement to justify the work and cost of the process.
One more family trial will be done soon. 

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 07:29:16 PM »

I have never used the bag method but I have dry aged a few rib roast’s, some are on here. I have been very pleased with the difference in taste etc. Sorry to hear you were not as pleased but hey you can always lay claim to the fact you tried. Nicely done.

okie smokie

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 08:03:00 PM »

I have never used the bag method but I have dry aged a few rib roast’s, some are on here. I have been very pleased with the difference in taste etc. Sorry to hear you were not as pleased but hey you can always lay claim to the fact you tried. Nicely done.
My daughters family liked them very much but not enough to copy the process.
One more family to follow.  Will print their results when available.

okie smokie

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 01:37:48 PM »

My son's family had them Saturday.  They really appreciated the enhanced flavor. My son is an accomplished amateur chef and said they were really good in both flavor and texture.  He is interested in trying the process.  So in summary, all three families agreed on the enhanced flavor although I was the least so. Two out of the three families would not think the process and cost were worth the effort. But who knows?  Maybe with a prime strip I would have liked it better???? 
Pages: [1]   Go Up