Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Memphis Beale  (Read 8876 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Memphis Beale
« on: March 19, 2022, 07:02:18 PM »

Has anyone bought or used one of the China built Beale Street pits yet.  I watched a demo on YouTube. Was very impressed. Exterior is 430 SS. and most of internal parts I am told are 304. I have no problem with that, as my RT590 exterior is 430, and no problems. I love my 590 and 380, but need both to do what I like to do.  The Memphis would replace both of them.

Input?
 /Users/hlgaspar_1/Desktop/Memphis Beale Street Pellet Grill - First Look and Cook - YouTube.webloc
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 07:06:24 PM by okie smokie »

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Memphis Beale
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 11:34:59 AM »

Don't have one, but  I like that the controller is in the unit.

I'm not a fan of most Chinese made stuff.
My Memphis Elite was DOA.
Replaced controller first, but that wasn't it.  Was a bad RTD.
When I had the controller open I noticed the a large capacitor was wired backward.
The skimped on the metal in places.
If you saw my thread about it, the pellet ramp had a gap in it and pellets would have to jump it to the burn pot.
Pellets would end up in the ash tray so I had an SS part made that works great. 
WIFI is flaky at times.

Never had a problem with my previous USA made Memphis Grills (Pro and Elite).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 11:37:01 AM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

okie smokie

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 11:11:35 AM »

There is no comment on what type of SS is used for the interior parts, i.e. grates, fire pot, etc,  I would like to think that they were of 304, as it tolerates flame exposure better than the ferrous types.   Or am I naive? Did you magnet test them?
I am fairly happy with my RT, 590 and 380 but it would be nice to have all that ability in one unit, and in SS. I like the open flame, and symmetry of the interior. Also, the closed storage below and on both wings is also a plus. Also, the warranty appears exceptional as well.   

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 11:55:28 AM »

I've never seen a need for the open flame myself.  Maybe if I wanted to roast marshmallows. Haha
Oven goes to 700F and you can get nice sear marks on a steak anywhere north of 500F.
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 12:43:35 PM »

My  :2cents: Re the direct flame insert in my Memphis Pro.  Firstly I don't use it much.  That said, I find the touch of fire does the best job of cooking bacon wrapped  turkey medallions: the flame, fire and

sizzling goodness are tops... If doing steaks for the two of us, I use a kamado. Baked potatoes done on the same cook. I can direct cook everything on the same pit with less effort.  If done direct flame method

on the  Memphis , it would be one steak, move to the side & on to the next one.

If flavour is your goal, the touch of fire may be tour ticket.

okie smokie

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 12:51:37 PM »

The Beale Street only goes to 550* which is enough for steaks and chops.  However, I have enjoyed open flame, as it is more like a charcoal cook. I am sure that the open flame mod will increase the temps significantly. Meanwhile, this Memphis will allow me to do it all on one cooker instead of two. Also, the option to do long brisket and butt cooks with the meat on the upper shelf, and a large disposable foil pan below to catch all the drippings is appealing to those of us who do not like to end up with a very greasy grill after a fatty cook. Makes the cleanup much easier. It must be ideal as I have seen lots of videos using this method. Doesn't erase the need to clean up the inside after long cooks, but should make it easier.
Gonna find out about the interior SS tomorrow. 

okie smokie

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 01:03:46 PM »

My  :2cents: Re the direct flame insert in my Memphis Pro.  Firstly I don't use it much.  That said, I find the touch of fire does the best job of cooking bacon wrapped  turkey medallions: the flame, fire and

sizzling goodness are tops... If doing steaks for the two of us, I use a kamado. Baked potatoes done on the same cook. I can direct cook everything on the same pit with less effort.  If done direct flame method

on the  Memphis , it would be one steak, move to the side & on to the next one.

If flavour is your goal, the touch of fire may be tour ticket.
Isn't flavor everyone's goal? I can get two, ribeyes, strips, 4 filets in that space. Usually, however, my wife and I share a single 1.25 lb steak or two 8oz filets. Might be a problem with several guests, in which case would do them without the flame plate, using GG's instead to sear.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 01:06:37 PM »

The Beale Street only goes to 550* which is enough for steaks and chops.  However, I have enjoyed open flame, as it is more like a charcoal cook. I am sure that the open flame mod will increase the temps significantly. Meanwhile, this Memphis will allow me to do it all on one cooker instead of two. Also, the option to do long brisket and butt cooks with the meat on the upper shelf, and a large disposable foil pan below to catch all the drippings is appealing to those of us who do not like to end up with a very greasy grill after a fatty cook. Makes the cleanup much easier. It must be ideal as I have seen lots of videos using this method. Doesn't erase the need to clean up the inside after long cooks, but should make it easier.
Gonna find out about the interior SS tomorrow.

Sorry, was thinking of my Elite that goes to 700.

I use my gasser for steaks. Tend to use the Memphis for low and slow stuff.
Besides, I foil the drip tray to make cleanup easy, and when you get above 500 the foil will start to melt.

Canadian John

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 01:14:25 PM »

Well okie, You sound like me. I  will convince myself over & over 'ill I bite the bullet & do it.  Took me two years to convince myself to buy a Big Green Egg. I now have two. Had three.

Re the greasy mess... Lately I have been cooking just about everything greasy on a low height rack in a pan. The pan sits on the cooking grates. There just isn't any mess to clean out of the pit. The pan & rack

are easier to clean than the pit.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 01:16:05 PM by Canadian John »

okie smokie

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 10:50:31 AM »

Well okie, You sound like me. I  will convince myself over & over 'ill I bite the bullet & do it.  Took me two years to convince myself to buy a Big Green Egg. I now have two. Had three.

Re the greasy mess... Lately I have been cooking just about everything greasy on a low height rack in a pan. The pan sits on the cooking grates. There just isn't any mess to clean out of the pit. The pan & rack

are easier to clean than the pit.
Good info CJ.  I spoke to Memphis this AM and answered some of my questions: the internal parts of the Beale Street are also 430 SS except the grill grates which are 304 SS and 5/16" thick. The rep said that there have been no problems to date with the choice of 430, except he would not rec. if you live in "salt air" regions, or have pool chemicals stored in the same area. No such problem with the 304 SS models of course. I am most impressed with the ability to place slow greasy cooks over a disposable aluminum pan. Currently on my 590, that is not available, and cleanup after a brisket is a mess. I wish that the hopper was bigger, but that would not cancel my interest since a full hopper will easily do for overnight cooks.  Still pondering.

okie smokie

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2022, 12:39:37 PM »

Did it! Found a dealer offering all the accessories free (4 of them) except the Direct Flame Flavorizer. I decided that was a decent offer, as most of the others sell the accessories separately. About a $300 value. Before I ordered, I went to the local fire station to see if they would like to have my 590.  They were thrilled.  They had a Weber pellet grill purchased when they came out and it had been severely damaged by what appears to me to be a grease fire and was not repairable. I plan to give them a demo on use and care. They will pick up mine when my new Beale Street is delivered.
Feeling good about gifting the 590. They really needed it.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2022, 01:19:21 PM »

Gotta give you an Atta Boy on that one!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2022, 01:31:07 PM »

Gotta give you an Atta Boy on that one!

Me too!!  Rather ironic that they had a fire  ;)
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2022, 01:53:02 PM »

Nice gesture. 

Canadian John

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2022, 02:54:02 PM »

Bet you feel better okie - the decision that is.    Now the excitement starts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up