Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by JoeGrilling on 19 May 2022
  • Mad Scientist BBQ did a comparison of 6 different pellet brands cooking brisket.  They did a reasonably good job controlling the experiment.  The YouTube of the test is here:

https://thebbqhq.com/pages/msbbq-bbqhq-pellet-test

The results are summarized here:

https://thebbqhq.com/pages/msbbq-bbqhq-pellet-test

I was a bit surprised by the results.  Traeger Gourmet did very well compared to the other brands.

• #2 by 02ebz06 on 19 May 2022
  • I'm skeptical about Traeger doing that well.  Especially since their flavors don't come from the wood.
  • #3 by hughver on 19 May 2022
  • I've used Traeger Gormet pellets quite a bit and liked the results.
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 19 May 2022
  • I've used Traeger Gormet pellets quite a bit and liked the results.
    I didn't think anyone here used them after knowing that for example;  Their Cherry pellets don't have Cherry wood in them.
    Unless they have changed and don't add oils for flavor, I wouldn't buy them.   :2cents:

• #5 by hughver on 19 May 2022
  • Unless they have changed and don't add oils for flavor, I wouldn't buy them.   :2cents:

To be honest, except for how they burn, I can't tell the difference in flavor between brand of pellets. As long as they produce heat and smoke and minimal ash, I use them.
  • #6 by 02ebz06 on 19 May 2022
  • Unless they have changed and don't add oils for flavor, I wouldn't buy them.   :2cents:

To be honest, except for how they burn, I can't tell the difference in flavor between brand of pellets. As long as they produce heat and smoke and minimal ash, I use them.

They are probably are fine, but I consider it a  deceptive way of doing business, which is why I won't use them.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 May 2022
  • I wonder if Traeger cherry pellets leave a red color on the outside of the meat like other brand's cherry pellets do.
  • #8 by 02ebz06 on 19 May 2022
  • I wonder if Traeger cherry pellets leave a red color on the outside of the meat like other brand's cherry pellets do.
    :rotf:
  • #9 by okie smokie on 19 May 2022
  • LJ was second. And for the price is a better deal than Traeger.  But in spite of the rumors about Traeger pellet and artificial additives, I have used a lot of them and was very satisfied.  I prefer the LJ competition over all. I think Mad Scientist is a reliable guy. I really like his 12 mistakes not to make on Brisket and also his recent How to Make a Brisket videos.
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 May 2022
  • I have tried pellets from probably 10 different sources and multiple wood species from several of them and have not had a better pellet than those sold by cookinpellets.  Never had an issue with auger jams or auger clunking, very low on ash left in burn pot, and always have had a nice smoke flavor with 100% hickory being stronger than their blend.  I have yet to order apple and cherry (I want to) because I have too many pellets in my garage right now.  I have not cooked much the last few years on my pellet grills.
  • #11 by BigDave83 on 19 May 2022
  • I use my heating pellets, they are primarily oak. I have used some LJ ones, apple, cherry, maple. For my taste it is all smoke and really can't tell much of a difference. Maybe that is because the pellet cookers go light on the smoke profile.

The GF isn't fond of heavy smoke, we went to a distillery over the weekend where a BBQ guy was to be setting up, had always heard great reviews and had been trying to get to him for over a year but things always came up. He was set up 2 miles from my house. When he uncovered the mac n cheese, chicken brisket and butt, I knew she was not going to be happy. The meat was way over smoked from a bad fire, it left a bad taste. She said this is why I like your stuff better it isn't so smokey.
  • #12 by JoeGrilling on 19 May 2022
  • I just snagged a bag of Knotty Wood pecan.  Both KW and LJ use some bark in their pellets which in theory produce a dirtier smoke.  KW may be using a higher bark content.  Complaints I've seen in online reviews note plastic like substance in the burn pot, clinkers, too much ash, and auger jams.  I'll probably use them mixed with other pellets.

KW pellets have not been moving well until the Mad Scientist BBQ did the YouTube on them according to my local dealer.  He was throwing them in as free pellets with grill purchases.  This is an obvious case of no "pull-through" marketing.  They put the pellets on the shelf and did not alert consumers.   
  • #13 by JoeGrilling on 09 Jun 2022
  • Just a comment on the Knotty Wood pellets.  Folks have complained about auger issues with them so on a Char Sui cook yesterday, I mixed them with my Cookin pellets.  My wife had the Char Sui last night and commented than the pork had a really good smoke flavor.  This was an unsolicited comment.
  • #14 by atlasx2001 on 17 Nov 2022
  • I use my heating pellets, they are primarily oak.

I thought you weren't supposed to use heating pellets as sometimes there are additives which may not be so good to eat.     

As for me, I really can't tell much difference in flavor from the brands.   I guess if I had 2 smokers and cooked the same thing on both of them, I might be able to tell.   Never had a complaint about the GMG gold.
Pages:
Actions