Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by JoeGrilling on 25 May 2022
  • Costco enters the pellet arena with Kirkland signature pellets.  They used to sell the exclusive gourmet blend from Traeger at a good price but the new ones are really cheap at $12.99 for a 40 lbs bag.  The contents info on the bag sounds a lot like Traeger. 
  • #2 by 4given on 27 May 2022
  • We bought a bag today and will be trying them this weekend. I'll let you all know what I think.
  • #3 by 4given on 27 May 2022
  • The Kirkland (Costco) brand is labeled as being a blend of Oak, Hickory, Maple and Cherry.  My guess is they are made by Bear Mountain because their  "Gourmet BBQ Blend" is Oak, Hickory, Maple and Cherry. That would be great. I like the Bear Mountains just fine.

Another clue is that Costco sells  40 LB bags of Bear Mountain "Gourmet BBQ Blend" on their website.
  • #4 by Bentley on 27 May 2022
  • Bear Mt makes a good pellet!  Been a long time since I have been able to get any, will have to get 4-5 bags next time in Costco!
  • #5 by Zombini on 28 May 2022
  • Thats good news. Hope our Costco has them.
  • #6 by JoeGrilling on 28 May 2022
  • Some folks on Reddit think the pellets are made by Pit Boss based on the similarity in the packaging.  Who knows.  It will be interesting to hear what people think of them. 
  • #7 by pmillen on 28 May 2022
  • Perhaps Bear Mt. packages Pit Boss' pellets.
  • #8 by 4given on 02 Jun 2022
  • The new Kirkland Pellet worked great! We cooked two pork butts and a small brisket low and slow at 225 deg F. They turned out really well. The pellets burned nicely in my DB Choice and lent the meat a nice well balanced smoke flavor. Left a real nice smoke ring!

I have had a Daniel Boone for about eight years and have burned several pallets of different brands pellets through it over the years. I think these Kirkland pellets rank right up there with the best of them.

These are great all around pellets and I would recommend you give them a try. As long as they are available at Costco for this kind of price this will be my new everyday go to pellet. It doesn’t mean I won’t get some Lumberjack 100% hickory or some Mesquite blended pellets for special cooks but I will use these most of the time.
  • #9 by Darwin on 02 Jun 2022
  • Bear Mt makes a good pellet!  Been a long time since I have been able to get any, will have to get 4-5 bags next time in Costco!
    Glad to hear this.  I can get them nearby. :clap:
  • #10 by 4given on 03 Jun 2022
  • For what is worth, a guy on a Facebook GMG users group posted: " This is the company that will be branded for Costco. Was there today and chatted with them. https://diamondkingsmoker.com/product/bbq-pellets-15-lbs/
  • #11 by 4given on 03 Jun 2022
  • Again, for what it's worth, I found this post on a Recteq forum: "20 year Costco employee here and bbq addict. I wanted to address the question who makes what, well simply put none of those companies do. (note: he is referencing Pit Boss, Bear Mountain and others mentioned in the thread)  What we do is find a smaller company that we can work with develop a recipe this is the “Kirkland signature” part of the business so in short yes there’s a tremendous amount of work trial and error in every Kirkland product we do our absolute best to put out a top notch product."

Interesting
Pages:
Actions