Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by smokymtnjonny on 19 Jul 2022
  • I’m thinking about sanding and painting that vintage Lil Tex I got on FB. It’s got a small amount of light surface rust in places, but the overall finish is dull and faded. I need suggestions on brands of paint that would be up to the task. Also, can you get a smooth finish with a brush, or is spray the way to go?
  • #2 by Bentley on 19 Jul 2022
  • I dont know any brands other then Krylon or Rust-o-lium, and they will work, but I think you are better using an engine block high heat paint.  Doubt you will be able to not leave brush strokes on metal with a brush, maybe one of those black sponge ones.  Guys with much more knowledge about it will be on to help in awhile!
  • #3 by okie smokie on 19 Jul 2022
  • Lowes or Home Depot has high temp paint for grills in spray cans.  Rustoleum and Krylon products both work. You might need to decide whether you like it "flat" or "satin" finished. Only way to go is to spray IMO. Just be careful not to overspray. Better to do a couple of light coats. After you sand all the rust and loose paint off and wipe it down, you are ready to sprits!  Be sure to pick the paint with the highest temp protection. I used the Rustoleum on my Blazn and Traeger grills with good results both inside and out.  I would let it dry for a couple of days before lighting up. I found that the heat protection of 1200 to 2000* is available, which is hotter than engine heat, so I would use the specific high heat stuff.
  • #4 by smokymtnjonny on 19 Jul 2022
  • Thanks for the advice! I want the finish to have somewhat of a shine, so that would be satin, right?
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 19 Jul 2022
  • Lowes or Home Depot has high temp paint for grills in spray cans.  Rustoleum and Krylon products both work. You might need to decide whether you like it "flat" or "satin" finished. Only way to go is to spray IMO. Just be careful not to overspray. Better to do a couple of light coats. After you sand all the rust and loose paint off and wipe it down, you are ready to sprits!  Be sure to pick the paint with the highest temp protection. I used the Rustoleum on my Blazn and Traeger grills with good results both inside and out.  I would let it dry for a couple of days before lighting up. I found that the heat protection of 1200 to 2000* is available, which is hotter than engine heat, so I would use the specific high heat stuff.

When you mentioned "engine heat"  it reminded me that they (at least HD) have spray paint specifically labeled for engines to 2000 degrees.
    I had used the Rustoleum one on my GridIron when I had it.
  • #6 by pmillen on 19 Jul 2022
  • A poster on another forum a couple of years ago concluded that automobile brake paint had the highest temperature rating.  I don't have grill painting experience.
  • #7 by focuspuller on 19 Jul 2022
  • I did my grill a few years back.

Took it apart and then had it sandblasted.

Used a metal paint prep to wash down all the surfaces.

Then used a high heat primer.  Let it dry for two days.  Then used High Heat satin black paint.  Several coats a day apart.

Set grill to 200 for an hour then up to 350 for another hour to set the primer and paint.

Not a sign of rust since.

• #8 by smokymtnjonny on 19 Jul 2022
  • Thanks for the reply, focus!
  • #9 by hughver on 19 Jul 2022
  • Thanks for the advice! I want the finish to have somewhat of a shine, so that would be satin, right?

If you want a shine use high gloss or semi-gloss.
  • #10 by smokymtnjonny on 19 Jul 2022
  • I do want more of a shine. Thanks, Hugh!
  • #11 by just4fn on 19 Jul 2022
  • You can buy factory paint from Traeger also. 
  • #12 by smokymtnjonny on 20 Jul 2022
  • I talked to customer service at Traeger and the rep said they wouldn’t sell me paint because of the fire hazard!

“Yes, the rust is something that will eventually appear with the usage of the grill keep in mind that most of the paint is flammable therefore that can cause a fire so we prefer to have rust on a grill than to have a fire that's why we don't recommend any touch up job to our customers for their safety”

:D :D
  • #13 by 02ebz06 on 20 Jul 2022
  • I talked to customer service at Traeger and the rep said they wouldn’t sell me paint because of the fire hazard!

“Yes, the rust is something that will eventually appear with the usage of the grill keep in mind that most of the paint is flammable therefore that can cause a fire so we prefer to have rust on a grill than to have a fire that's why we don't recommend any touch up job to our customers for their safety”

I guess it's OK for them to paint the grill with paint that can burst into flames. Hahahahahahahaha
  • #14 by ylr on 20 Jul 2022

That right there is classic corporate thinking. Don't want to get sued! :pig:
  • #15 by okie smokie on 20 Jul 2022
  • Have painted the inside of both Traeger Lil Tex and Blaz'n. Never, ever, seen a fire from the paint applied. Of course I never started a fire until it was super dry. Corporate policy to avoid potential law suits??  Of course some of the pits are powder coated. Not sure about any fire potential there?
Pages:
Actions