Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smokeless Trisket  (Read 1354 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Smokeless Trisket
« on: August 07, 2022, 10:19:26 PM »

No smoker, waiting for my RT1070. Had a TriTip defrosted and so I decided to do it as a low/slow brisket style. Patted dry, applied Hutchins brisket rub (SPGO) and set the oven for 225*. With Meater installed, put the TriTip in, trimmed both sides at butcher. 3.5 hrs naked spritzed with apple cider vinegar q 30 min., temp was 155, foil wrapped it and back in at 250*. at 6hrs, 30 min. total time, it was 203-204 internal. Rested for 30 minutes, and cut for dinner with pasta in chicken broth, and small salad.  Best trisket yet. Nice pepper dominance. Total tenderness. No smoke. Did not really miss it much. A winner for the future.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 10:22:01 PM by okie smokie »

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Smokeless Trisket
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 08:46:55 AM »

Very nice!  Wish we could find Tri-Tip roasts. Don't show up very often.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

okie smokie

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 10:44:42 AM »

Very nice!  Wish we could find Tri-Tip roasts. Don't show up very often.
Costco here. This was a "Choice". They also have "Prime", but they looked the same so I bought the cheaper. Both grades are over priced because of the recent popularity of the cut. $8-$10.  This is my 3rd low/slow Trisket and by far the best. Gotta get to 203*-204*, and spritz often. It was moist and the Au Jus ? (sp) was added back to the slices at the table and to left over slices. Note the white flakes on the crust are not salt. It is onion flakes and maybe garlic as well. Cold left over slices are yummy to snack on or in sammies. And just for grins, my oven, a GE, temps were right on as noted by my Meater Ambient temp. Actual 223/set 225 and actual 244/set 250 and did not fluctuate more than a few degrees during the cook. Which contradicts what I was told about electric ovens. I like to use the kitchen oven during the crutch since no sense in wasting pellets when you can't smoke. Also, gives me time to cool down and clean up the pit before the low/slow comes out of the oven. Go for it!

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 03:01:13 PM »

Looks very good, like brisket.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

okie smokie

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 04:02:52 PM »

Looks very good, like brisket.
A little more dense than brisket because of almost no fat. I understand that there is a fat cap before trimming that can be left on. Any info on that? Bathing in the drippings after the cook is good. Definitely worth doing either smoke or in kitchen. 

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 05:22:02 PM »

You can get untrimmed.  That was usually they way they were sold in Fresno.  But it is not intramuscular fat, so not sure it would benefit you a great deal in a low temp cook, like the point of a brisket.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

okie smokie

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 05:45:59 PM »

You can get untrimmed.  That was usually they way they were sold in Fresno.  But it is not intramuscular fat, so not sure it would benefit you a great deal in a low temp cook, like the point of a brisket.
I agree. I'm happy with the current results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up