Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mississippi Pot Roast on RT 1070  (Read 1243 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Mississippi Pot Roast on RT 1070
« on: September 25, 2022, 03:48:34 PM »

Saw this the other day on Youtube. "Mississippi Pot Roast"  and was impressed with the simplicity and apparent satisfaction of the cooker. So I am doing one in the RT today as follows:
1. one pot roast about 3 lbs for the 2 of us. You can use larger.
2. light application of your favorite beef rub, but go easy as you will be adding salty seasonings later.
3. into the smoker at 225 for 3 hrs. No peak or spritz necessary (although a water pan is optional)
4. At 3 hrs. pull and place in a large disposable or dutch oven pan over the sliced large onion you prepared before
5. add one 16 oz. bottle of porcini peppers medium heat (or choice of heat), whole bottle and liquid contents.
6. four large thick pats of unsalted butter (optional but I did it) on the roast
7. one packet of powdered ranch dressing seasoning on roast
8. one packet of McCormicks Au Jus gravy mix on roast.
9. 1.5 cups of beef broth
10. Often it is served over mashed potatoes, so if you like that, use a pan big enough for 5 or 6 yellow potatoes and just place them in the empty space around the roast. Or you can add carrots etc.
11. cover with foil and back in smoker at 250* for 3 more hours. You can temp check the roast if desired, but I am just leaving it covered the whole 3 hrs, knowing it will be tender then.
12. Off and let sit for 40 minutes before uncovering. Remove potatoes to bowl (you can easily hand mash them.)
13. Then  shred the roast (I will do by hand with insulated gloves) and remove all the gristle and fat, and also the stems from the peppers. Leave it all in the Au Jus in the pan and at dinner if desired, place the beef and peppers over mashed potatoes. Can be served that way in a soup bowl. Or for sandwiches etc.
 Pics to follow of finished product..I have no idea how the peppers will affect the taste. Numerous variations seen on YouTube.

okie smokie

Re: Mississippi Pot Roast on RT 1070
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 05:37:38 PM »

Gonna remove at 5PM and rest for 40 minutes. Will check for tenderness at removal just to make sure. Pics to follow.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 06:36:48 PM »

I have made it a few times in the instant pot. It is pretty good. Be interested to see your take and twist on it.

okie smokie

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 08:40:37 PM »

Turned grill off at end of 6th hr. Meat temp was 203-204 and totally tender. Covered back up and let it rest for 40-45 minutes. Then removed the potatoes and shredded the meat. Very little fat or gristle as most had melted into the liquid. We ate the mix two ways; I mashed potato and layered the roast on top with some au jus over all, and my wife preferred hers separated. Flavor was great and had a moderate bite. The potatoes went well with the roast. Over all I have three comment: 1. Slightly over salted but still great flavor.  2. A bit more bite than I expected. 3. More liquid than nec.  BUT WE ALMOST ATE ALL OF IT!.
Suggestions for next trial. A little less seasoning initially, and about half the peppers, and half the liquid from them. Beef broth was ok but perhaps a little less as we had about an 1.25 inches of liquid when we opened the cover. Also, I noted (see pic) that the seasoning that was sprinkled on the top of the roast congealed most right on top and I had to scrape it off to shred the meat. Perhaps dividing the seasoning to evenly coat both top and bottom at the middle of the cook would take care of that. Also, the butter pats were not nec. Anyhow it was very good and I will certainly do it again, with the above mods. Note the congealed seasonings on top of the roast before shredding.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 08:43:21 PM by okie smokie »

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 10:12:08 PM »

Very nice. Never did it in the smoker, it has usually been a winter meal for us so the instant pot gets the work. Maybe next time I will pop the meat in the electric smoker for a few hours at 150 or so and then in the IP to finish. I have been doing this with country style pork butt ribs.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 10:32:13 AM »

Looks like one mighty tasty meal.   :clap:
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 02:16:17 PM »

The use of Ranch Dressing on pot roast is interesting.  I also use it once-in-a-while.  Like in this post.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 04:43:35 PM »

The use of Ranch Dressing on pot roast is interesting.  I also use it once-in-a-while.  Like in this post.

I use it in my wing sauce as part of the roux. 
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 06:32:09 PM »

I see your seasonings puddle on top of the roast also. Guess that is expected. Maybe basting half way thru would disperse it better. Not sure it matters. Do you remove the roast to shred it? If so, do you try to get some of the liquid fat off the top of the remaining liquid? Then save it to moisten the meat?

okie smokie

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2022, 06:21:23 PM »

Hot sammies today.  Put the left over meat, which was coated with chilled fat into a perforated pot with water bath below. The fat melted and drained and the meat was moisturized well. Made great sammies with Miracle Whip on wheat bread. Great flavor, very tender and still a nice pepperacino bite. 

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 10:08:26 AM »

I see your seasonings puddle on top of the roast also. Guess that is expected. Maybe basting half way thru would disperse it better. Not sure it matters.
I’ve always figured that those puddles are fat.  I sometimes have to blot or pour them off of briskets and such.

Do you remove the roast to shred it?
I don’t shred the roasts when cooked like this; I slice or “chunk” it for serving.

If so, do you try to get some of the liquid fat off the top of the remaining liquid? Then save it to moisten the meat?
I just let it collect on the serving platter.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1]   Go Up