Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 24 Nov 2022
  •  I just read an interesting article where spent coffee grounds are transformed into pellets, both heating (Java Flame) and grilling (JavaBrrewBQ).

The company, SRG(Sustainable Resources Group) claims a 35% higher BTU output; 11,170 VS 8,100 with 80% less ash.

Cost wise, a 20 pound bag of the cooking pellets sells for $20.00

sustainablesourcesgrouo.com listed as their contact info. *

This is new to me. How about you?

* This didn't work for me. I found their site searching Google. It's interesting!
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 24 Nov 2022
  • Never heard of it or the company.
  • #3 by Canadian John on 24 Nov 2022

•  Perhaps Lew Knows them as they are located in PA ?

132 Veterans Lane, Unit A
      Doylestown, PA 1890
  • #4 by Brushpopper on 24 Nov 2022
  • I remember my dad saying they would roll cigarettes with used coffee grounds when he was a kid.  I bet that was really bitter but they would certainly burn as pellets.  Not sue of the smoke profile for food though.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 Nov 2022

•  Perhaps Lew Knows them as they are located in PA ?

132 Veterans Lane, Unit A
      Doylestown, PA 1890

Never heard of them but they are an hour from me and right down the street from a record store that I have been planning to visit for the last few years.
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 25 Nov 2022
  • Interesting. Not a fan of the flavor of coffee so I wonder what if anything they would flavor the meat when smoking. But for my heating I wouldn't care. I paid 305 a ton for wood pellets delivered this year, the most I have ever paid by far. Can't imagine these would be comparable in cost for heating, but maybe in a few years if the process get out more and more companies get involved.

Hard to imagine a Pennsylvania company doing coffee grounds in to pellets, I have lived in PA all my 57 years and didn't think coffee was one of the things grown here.

https://sustainableresourcesgroup.com/a-new-era-in-home-heating-is-here/
  • #7 by urnmor on 25 Nov 2022
  • Not sure I would use them.  Imo I wanted a coffee flavor I would prefer to use a coffee rub. 
  • #8 by Bentley on 25 Nov 2022
  • I guess I would want to know how they bind?  If they are like wood and a natural binder is created when they are extruded under pressure.  Or is something add to bind it.
  • #9 by Ruff on 06 Feb 2023
  • Tried them.  Smelled like burnt coffee to some burnt popcorn to others.  A few liked them, most did not.  Flavor and aroma are the top qualifiers in my book.
  • #10 by Canadian John on 07 Feb 2023

•   Thanks Ruff.  That was interesting.  The concept of coffee pellets is a new one; at least to me.
  • #11 by 02ebz06 on 07 Feb 2023
  • Since I don't like coffee, they won't be found in my pellet supply.
Pages:
Actions