Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas Prime Rib Roasts?  (Read 1953 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: Christmas Prime Rib Roasts?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2022, 06:42:38 PM »

FWIW, I've read that some people claim that raw meat absorbs smoke better than cooked meat. I've done it both ways, both turned out very good.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2022, 07:01:30 PM »

I have smoked, put in fridge, sealed, then SV for 6-8 hours at desired temp.  I think I am a 135° range guy.

I think smoking first and then sealing allows some of that smoke to penetrate deeper into the meat.  That's my story without any scientific evidence.  If it works for marinading, I'm saying it works for smoke too.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2022, 05:09:58 AM »

On Christmas day my temperatures will be in the upper single digits when I start.  It may get into the upper 20's about noon.  Should I allow extra time for smoking these?  Also what can I do if they get done early?
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2022, 08:09:42 AM »

I would say just monitor your meat temp and even cooker temp if you feel it won't hold set temp well in those temps. You may end up having to set your temp 10 or 20 higher to get the temp you actually want. I confess I don't use the pellet cookers in the winter unless we get a really nice day and I can wheel it out of the garage.

If you see it is cooking to fast lower the temp. You don't say how you are going to finish it? If planning on putting in a 500° oven to brown or crust up or if you will slice and under a broiler or some other way to raise the temp of the meat for some, like for the folks that want medium or even well done. Then holding if  it get done to early shouldn't be much of an issue.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2022, 09:02:44 AM »

I would say just monitor your meat temp and even cooker temp if you feel it won't hold set temp well in those temps. You may end up having to set your temp 10 or 20 higher to get the temp you actually want. I confess I don't use the pellet cookers in the winter unless we get a really nice day and I can wheel it out of the garage.

If you see it is cooking to fast lower the temp. You don't say how you are going to finish it? If planning on putting in a 500° oven to brown or crust up or if you will slice and under a broiler or some other way to raise the temp of the meat for some, like for the folks that want medium or even well done. Then holding if  it get done to early shouldn't be much of an issue.

I will be doing the oven route

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2022, 06:57:44 PM »

I have never done the oven route searing before.  How long do it take?  I am assuming I would have them on a cooking sheet to do this.  All I know is that the oven needs to be turned up to 500.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2022, 10:46:07 PM »

I am taking a shortcut.  I bought one already cooked from Sam's and I just need to reheat it.  My Dad loves prime rib and I don't have the time or patience to cook one when it is going to be very cold out for Christmas.  I will reheat this one in the oven and cut it to his desired thickness and call it a day.  Whatever is leftover, I will have him slice very thin so we both have some nice roast beef sandwiches in 2023.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2022, 12:25:07 PM »

I have never done the oven route searing before.  How long do it take?  I am assuming I would have them on a cooking sheet to do this.  All I know is that the oven needs to be turned up to 500.

I also am going the oven route for searing; I think that 15-25 minutes or go by looks. Beware, based on pre-pellet days experience, this step will really splatter grease all over the oven.

I have a question; Since my Traeger max temperature is below 400°, I'm going to sear in the oven prior to smoke, approximately how long after sear will it take my 12lb. roast IT to reach 133° assuming pit set to 200° and outside temp. ~60°. A guess would help. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 01:21:25 PM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2022, 12:58:17 PM »

I also am going the oven route for searing; I think that 15-25 minutes or go by looks. Beware, based on pre-pellet days experience, this step will really splatter grease all over the oven.

I have a question; Since my Traeger max temperature is below 400°, I'm going to sear in the oven prior to smoke, approximately how long after sear will it take IT to reach 133° assuming pit set to 200° and outside temp. ~60°. A guess would help.

The chance of messing up my wife's oven is on my mind.  My SmokinBrothers smoker will get up to 450 normally, but will it with temperature being below freezing.  I will try it first and if it does now I will use the oven.

hughver

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2022, 03:54:14 PM »

one or two self-clean cycles should solve the problem.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2022, 05:12:09 PM »

I will be doing the oven route
Fwiw, salt crusted rib roast is outstanding, you probably know that but if we do them in the oven, that is by far our favorite. Lots of recipes if you want to consider that option. Merry Christmas.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2022, 07:20:31 AM »

Due to the extreme cold weather it took longer to do these.  I took off the first one when it got to 135.  Apparently this is to raw for my bunch.  I sliced it and my wife put these in a cast iron skillet for a few seconds and they were ready to eat.  I kept the other one on until 138.  This one was leftovers for three families.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2022, 10:38:33 AM »

You can always fix undercooked, can't fix the other!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

hughver

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2022, 10:51:32 AM »

At pit Temp. of 225 it took 35 minutes/lb. to cook my 9lb. frenched 5 bone roast. After searing in the 500° oven, I smoked it at 225° to an IT of 129°, FTC'ed for over an hour, it was still at 128° when served.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2022, 01:21:00 PM »

I was planning on reverse searing mine, but it took to long to smoke.  I had six adults with two cranky kids wanting something to eat.  They ended up being tender and everyone said it tasted great with a good smoky taste.  It tasted flat to me.  I am wondering if after smoking for 10 years my taste buds are off.  I never taste the smoky taste in what I smoke.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up