Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Time for ribs  (Read 2172 times)

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Time for ribs
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2022, 10:21:47 AM »

I find it harder to remove the membrane on STL ribs than baby backs.  I tried the cross hatch after reading about Okie doing it, and love the results.

I have the same issue with the St Louis style.  Difficult to remove.
Will have to try the crosshatch.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2022, 12:01:14 PM »

I almost always do baby backs and never worry about removing the membrane.  My wife likes how they come out but I'll try the crosshatch next time.  It certainly can't hurt anything.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2022, 01:22:19 PM »

I don't remove or cut the membrane, I just season it,and since I am nor a rib wrapper it usually comes out crispy and it it is not wanted it peels right off once cooked. I like it left one, maybe I am just lazy.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2022, 02:44:17 PM »

Thank a million or all of the replies. Memphis dust has always been my go-to rub in the past. I think that I'll give Bar-B-Lew 's recipe a try. I think that I'll buy a few more St. Louis racks today while the sale is still on.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2022, 04:12:31 PM »

here is what we usually use for rub for pork and goes good with chicken.

Amanda''s Favorite Rub               
   Measure                      1 Batch                         9 Batch       
Sugar                     Cup           0.5                                 4.5      
Sea Salt                   Cup           0.33                                 2.97      
Paprika              Cup           0.25                                 2.25      
Chili Powder   Tablespoon   2                                18   1.125   Cup
Black Pepper   Tablespoon   2                                18   1.125   Cup
Garlic powder   Tablespoon   2                                18   1.125   Cup
Onion Powder   Tablespoon   2                                18   1.125   Cup
Chipotle Power   Tablespoon   1                                 9   0.5   Cup
Cayenne   Teaspoon                   0.25                                 2.25   1T   

I will at times use other rubs but she likes this so it is used the  most. Don't ask why I did 9 batch instead of 10, I have no idea, this was done up to many years ago to remember. More than likely I only had enough of one or so of the ingredients to do 9 batches.

I tried to straighten it all up,I just copied and pasted from a spreadsheet, it is all nice and even then it shifts once I hit the save button.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 04:18:54 PM by BigDave83 »

hughver

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2023, 02:12:47 PM »

Started mixing my rib rub, but with so many options here that had a lot of the same ingredients, I decided to put together a spread sheet and build the rub by the seat of my pants. Canadian John's is the same as Meathead's Memphis dust. I've decided to add a bit of ground mustard, celery seed, oregano, cumin and chili powder to the Memphis Dust recipe for my first batch of ribs. I could not find ground rosemary, so I'll grind up some dried rosemary leaves in my coffee grinder.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

hughver

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2023, 11:39:29 AM »

Re; Ribs, I need some advice. I smoked three racks for 4-5 hours at 160-180°, spritzing every hour, IT was 120-130° when I pulled them. Next, I sous vide them for 24 hours at 140°, then froze. From here, what would be the best process to warm and sauce them? For serving, there will be six for dinner, should I serve half racks or cut into individual ribs?

urnmor

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2023, 11:57:40 AM »

To be honest I have no idea.  However I will be following to see what is recommended.  As to serving I would recommend cutting into individual ribs place on platter and let guest take as needed.  IMO less waste.

Just thinking if they are vacuum wrapped have you thought about placing them back in SV or defrosting and warming in oven to temp. 

hughver

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2023, 12:05:12 PM »

Yes, I've thought about SV to warm, it would be less likely to dry them out. The part that I'm unsure of is the saucing. oven or smoker and what temp? To tell the truth, I'm not sure that I've ever sauced them before, just served with sauce on the side.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 12:08:13 PM by hughver »

urnmor

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2023, 01:15:03 PM »

I have never cooked ribs this way as I have always made mine on the grills to include saucing for about 15 to 20 min at the end.  If you want to avoid the clean up I would let the guest sauce their own as some like their ribs wet and other dry. 

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2023, 03:48:59 PM »

Re; Ribs, I need some advice. I smoked three racks for 4-5 hours at 160-180°, spritzing every hour, IT was 120-130° when I pulled them. Next, I sous vide them for 24 hours at 140°, then froze. From here, what would be the best process to warm and sauce them? For serving, there will be six for dinner, should I serve half racks or cut into individual ribs?

If I were to do this, I would retherm SV at 130 for maybe 2 hours unfrozen 3 for frozen. The sauce and put under the broiler or in the oven for a while to set the sauce.

hughver

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2023, 07:49:30 PM »

Thanks, under the broiler it is.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2023, 07:52:25 PM »

Thanks, under the broiler it is.

I would be concerned about using the broiler from the standpoint that the BBQ sauce most likely has a lot of sugar and may burn pretty quickly.  I would lean toward the oven at 250 degrees until the sauce is set to your liking.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2023, 10:11:44 PM »

Good idea!

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2023, 09:10:53 AM »

This was my go to rub years ago after many requested how I made it.  One day, I finally took the time to document it.  Some friends still use this recipe all of the time.

Rib Rub

You will need 1 box of Granulated Light Brown Sugar (14 oz.)

Pour into a gallon ziplock bag (in order of ingredients listed):

1/3 Box granulated light brown sugar
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
4 tablespoons chili powder
1/3 box granulated light brown sugar
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons onion powder
4 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons ground mustard
4 tablespoons cinnamon
1/3 box granulated light brown sugar
(You may need to adjust the rub accordingly to your tastes.  The rub should taste sweet first, and then you should feel a lit bit of spice afterward).

Shake thoroughly.

Cut down or eliminate the cayenne if you don’t like things spicy. Domino quit making the granulated light brown sugar. You can use turbinado sugar.  You can also use regular brown sugar but it clumps and may burn easier if you are cooking at a higher temp about 275°.

I will take regular brown sugar and put it on a cookie sheet, spread it out and put in the oven at the lowest temp. It will dry it out. I do have to use a strainer to sift the clumps out, but now my rub doesn't cake up.

I've put a coffee grounds in my rub. I've used meatheads recipe but have doctored it up over the past few years.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up