Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoked, corned beef--easy peasy.  (Read 879 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Smoked, corned beef--easy peasy.
« on: February 09, 2023, 02:27:55 PM »

Bought a 4.5 lb corned beef brisket flat. Unwrapped, rinsed, patted dry. Then added the seasoning pack to meat side put my Meater in center and on the 1070 at 275*. Smoked for three hours, fat side down. Temp at removal 161*. Then into foil bake pan with about 1/4" of Coors Light beer, covered with foil with Meater sticking through, and sealed on 3 sides, and incomplete seal on 4th side. Back into pit at 275*. (I know,  I could have just used the kitchen oven for the rest, but why bother?). Plan to take it to 203* and probe then. Will have it with boiled cabbage tonight. Will get pics when done. Not my favorite, but when its good, its good! More to follow.

okie smokie

Re: Smoked, corned beef--easy peasy.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 10:05:21 PM »

Got to 203* in total of 5 hrs. Rested 1/2 hr before slicing. Probed slightly thicker than butter, so I cut it thinner. It was great and so was the cabbage. Nothing fancy, and not professional plating but flavor was great, and texture fairly good. It appeared to be standard quality beef to my amateur eyes. I scraped the spices off before slicing. Froze the leftovers into two meal packs. Overall a good venture. Cabbage was boiled with salt,  onion powder, and served with rice vinegar. It too was very good.
;
;
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 10:09:46 PM by okie smokie »

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 09:41:54 AM »

Very nice!
What store did you find it at ?
I've seen flats, but never corned beef flats. Or possibly I was just not looking for it.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 12:11:05 PM »

Nicely done, almost a pastrami coating for rub.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 12:46:08 PM »

If that wasn't super tasting i'll eat my shirt.  Wow!

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 01:17:23 PM »

This type of corned beef flat and point are normally available on sale around St. Patty's Day. I frequently buy one, rinse it well, then soak it for a day or two in fresh water (changing the water once or twice) to remove some more of the salt. I season it with 1 Tbs. each of black pepper & coriander, 1.5 Tbs. brown sugar, 1 Tbs. paprika and 2 tsp. each of garlic & onion powder. Otherwise cook the same as Okie. Resulting in reasonably good pastrami

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 01:19:50 PM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

okie smokie

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 03:01:16 PM »

Purchased at Costco. Around $4.50/lb. I added extra pepper. Good flavor, almost pastrami. Actually if only cooked to *160-170 and then sliced paper thin, it would still have enough fat to be more corned beef /pastrami like and would be tender when cut that thin. I used to buy kosher corned beef sliced thin for sandwiches and remove the fat before eating. That was before I discovered where the distinct flavor was. Pastrami the same, just not as much fat left as in corned beef.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 03:30:25 PM »

Thanks
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven
Pages: [1]   Go Up