Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tamale Pie Tonight  (Read 568 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Tamale Pie Tonight
« on: March 06, 2023, 04:09:47 PM »

Yesterday I whipped up the filling for tamale pie for tonight's supper. I changed up my ingredients from my normal recipe. For the protein I used one pound each ground beef, ground pork and pulled pork. I was out of bell pepper, so I used a cup of diced carrots and a cup of diced celery. I also add some taco seasoning in addition to the normal cumin, cayenne and chili powder. I'm not sure how many pies this will make, I'll probably use 1-1.5" of filling per pie topped with masa, broth, salt, butter, cheese and baking powder. I'll freeze/vacuum pack all but one unbaked.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

hughver

Re: Tamale Pie Tonight
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 07:22:29 PM »

In the oven, done in 25 minutes. The two-quart casserole version is in the oven for tonight, the two pie plates are cooling to be placed in oversized baggies and put into the freezer. will vacuum pack after frozen.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 10:25:45 PM »

That looks good. I know what I am having for dinner tomorrow night! I just happen to have some pulled pork and sausage that I was trying to figure out a way to use up. 
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 11:39:33 AM »

Yes, that does look good.  I've never heard of Tamale Pie but it's on my list of things to try.  I'll scour the Internet for a recipe that even a dope like me can successfully follow.

👍
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 05:49:28 PM »

Is your maize dough simple masa and liquid?  Is it just on top like potatoes in a Shepard's Pie?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

hughver

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 10:44:36 AM »

It's a dough like consistency, sort of like Shepards pie. The one that I did a few days ago the topping did not do well. It ended up more like a pie crust than the normal thin corn bread consistency.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 02:40:28 PM »

So would it be correct that you look for more of a corn bread consistency then a steamed tamale texture for the finished product?  Is the topping made of masa flour or corn meal?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

hughver

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 05:34:24 PM »

The topping consist of Mase, baking powder, beef broth, butter, salt and cheddar cheese, combined an spread over the top. And yes it looks somewhat like corn bread, at least it has in the past.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 05:43:40 PM by hughver »
Pages: [1]   Go Up