Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Fire708 on 13 Mar 2023
  • Has anyone tried them or read anything about them? The price is great, $12 for 40lbs. I was gone grab a few bags instead of Bear Mountain but I don’t wanna grab a bunch without at least hearing some opinions.
  • #2 by reubenray on 14 Mar 2023
  • I did not know they had smoking pellets.  Hopefully someone will chime in.
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 14 Mar 2023
  • I have not used them, I did use some of their heating pellets a while back.

I would guess they are made by Lignetics as that was who made the heating pellets. Lignetics owns Bear Mountain, and Lumberjack and I believe another grill pellet maker, as well as several heating pellet companies.  They are probably one of if not the biggest wood pellet producer in the US.
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 14 Mar 2023
  • I just looked them up online.
    Doesn't say what what types of wood are used, just says "Slow Smoke Blend"
  • #5 by Fire708 on 14 Mar 2023
  • Well,
    I guess I’ll give ‘em a shot. Im gonna do a pork loin Friday so I’ll report back.
  • #6 by hughver on 14 Mar 2023
  • Great, I'm running low on pellets and need another source. Am looking forward to your opinion.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Mar 2023
  • Why doesn't someone just buy a bag if you are in need of pellets and give them a try.  They are pretty inexpensive.
  • #8 by Fire708 on 14 Mar 2023
  • Why doesn't someone just buy a bag if you are in need of pellets and give them a try.  They are pretty inexpensive.

Picking up a bag today and cooking this week.
  • #9 by hughver on 14 Mar 2023

By running low, I mean down to my last three 40 lb. bags of cooking pellets, two hickory and one perfect mix and an assortment of 20 lb. Traeger pellets that came with the grill i.e., no panic.
  • #10 by Fire708 on 19 Mar 2023
  • One cook with the TS pellets done, my opinion so far.

Every bag at tractor supply had a hole in it that was taped over. Some big some small. The bag I brought home still had a full 40 lbs in it though.

The pellets themselves are really pale. Much lighter in color than the lumberjack or Bear Mountain I usually cook with. The pellets are also very small. The longest were under 1/2”.

Smoke production was very light. I started off at 160* for 30 min and the smoke was very very light. I usually get really noticeable smoke when I run this low for a reverse sear.

My grill seemed to really struggle getting up to temp for the sear.

Based on this cook alone I would pass and stick to Bear Mountain or Lumberjack.  With lumberjack getting scarse around me I may try Cabela’s or go with Cookin Pellets.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Mar 2023
  • I haven't been to Cabela's in a few years, but they were carrying Traeger pellets last time I was there and their own brand but I don't remember who made them.  Prices were good.  I may have a few bags in the garage.

I know I have issues with my MAK if the pellets are too long so getting small pellets isn't an issue for me.  I don't use high heat cooks on my pellet grills either so that probably wouldn't be an issue either.  I would be concerned with a lot of ash being generated.  Any feedback on whether you noticed more ash after the cook versus the pellets you normally use?

Thanks for sharing your feedback for others here.
  • #12 by Fire708 on 19 Mar 2023
  • Cabelas pellets are made by Lumberjack by what I’ve read.

I vacuumed the smoker out before I started cooking so I could get an idea of ash production. I’m gonna give it a couple more cooks and I’ll let you know.
  • #13 by BigDave83 on 20 Mar 2023
  • One cook with the TS pellets done, my opinion so far.

Every bag at tractor supply had a hole in it that was taped over. Some big some small. The bag I brought home still had a full 40 lbs in it though.

The pellets themselves are really pale. Much lighter in color than the lumberjack or Bear Mountain I usually cook with. The pellets are also very small. The longest were under 1/2”.

Smoke production was very light. I started off at 160* for 30 min and the smoke was very very light. I usually get really noticeable smoke when I run this low for a reverse sear.

My grill seemed to really struggle getting up to temp for the sear.

Based on this cook alone I would pass and stick to Bear Mountain or Lumberjack.  With lumberjack getting scarse around me I may try Cabela’s or go with Cookin Pellets.

A few thoughts on some of these.

The short pellet could be do to the way they were handled, given that the bags had taped up holes.

Short pellets should burn hotter as you will get more volume in to the fire pot per auger revolution, and they will feed much nicer.I used Hamers Hot Ones and they are usually very short have never had feed issues.

Color would more than likely be the wood used, I know the pellets I am heating with I will get a bag or so of lighter colored pellets, with in the same ton. I never notice much difference in the way they burn or heat when I paid attention.

Not sure on who makes them, could probably contact TS to find out. I had read in the heating pellet forum a while back that the heating were made by lignetics  but in some cases they used regional suppliers.
  • #14 by Fire708 on 21 Mar 2023
  • I figured the size was handling. They are very similar to Bear Mountain in that area. If they do use local suppliers that may explain the color smoke. Im in the northwest and alder is pretty much our main hardwood and it can be very mild. We smoke fish with alder chunks and it never overpowers.
  • #15 by Fire708 on 30 Mar 2023
  • I haven't been to Cabela's in a few years, but they were carrying Traeger pellets last time I was there and their own brand but I don't remember who made them.  Prices were good.  I may have a few bags in the garage.

I know I have issues with my MAK if the pellets are too long so getting small pellets isn't an issue for me.  I don't use high heat cooks on my pellet grills either so that probably wouldn't be an issue either.  I would be concerned with a lot of ash being generated.  Any feedback on whether you noticed more ash after the cook versus the pellets you normally use?

Thanks for sharing your feedback for others here.

Cleaned the grill today. After about 12 total hours of cooking there was way less ash than I’m used to. I’d say no more than 50% of my norm.  I use LJ hickory or Bear mountain hickory most of the time. Both have about the same amount of ash when I clean my grill

I’m gonna keep cooking. with these. If I can use a tube to get the flavor I want these would be a bargan.
Pages:
Actions