Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mammoth Meatballs Anyone?  (Read 525 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Mammoth Meatballs Anyone?
« on: March 31, 2023, 06:20:01 PM »

Just came across this article about an attempt to recreate Wolly Mammoth meat. Sounds a little close to Jurassic Park if you ask me! Not sure exactly the best way to grill it!!

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/28/world/mammoth-meatballs-cultured-meat-climate-scn/index.html
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Mammoth Meatballs Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 09:09:01 PM »

I didn't have the energy or patience to want to read that article, but wanted to say hello as I haven't seen you post for a few weeks.

Hopefully, you got some crazy idea for your next charitable cook.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 10:47:20 AM »

The article does say they were "not for human consumption"
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 11:35:09 AM »

I didn't have the energy or patience to want to read that article, but wanted to say hello as I haven't seen you post for a few weeks.

Hopefully, you got some crazy idea for your next charitable cook.

Good to hear from you Lew. To be honest with you, I only skimmed the article. But I was struck with the idea of being able to splice and recreate DNA to create meat similar to an extinct species like the Wolly Mammoth. I wonder what it would taste like. My guess is it probably tastes like chicken (actually it maybe closer to venison?).

I have not done much in the way of cooking projects since the Super Bowl pizza taco. However, that should change this week. For Maundy Thursday I am tentatively cooking Chicken Shawarma, Lamb Kafka, and a smoked salmon dip. For Easter Sunday going with the now traditional Easter breakfast of a Steak and Egg Wrap with my wife's cinnamon rolls. This is the third year we are doing it, so I guess that makes it a tradition! I am headed to the store this afternoon, so I will see what I end up with before coming up with a final menu. I will post what I come up with on a different thread once I figure it out.

"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2023, 06:08:05 PM »

I saw a story on this on the news and they said nearly the whole meatball was lamb with "just a tiny bit" of Mammouth recreated "meat".
Pages: [1]   Go Up