Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canadian style bacon.  (Read 1103 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Canadian style bacon.
« on: May 26, 2023, 06:54:08 PM »

The other week a local store had whole boneless pork loins for $0.99 a pound, I picked up a few and turned some in to jerky, decided Canadian style bacon would be good.

Since winter is over I talked to my plow guy and he said he only plowed twice, he gave me the option of paying cash or making him some meats, so I did him 2 racks of back ribs and turned a butt in to pulled pork, we had to make BBQ sauce so I gave him a jar of it also. Asked him if he liked Canadian bacon and he said now I am hungry. I said be 2-3 weeks till I get that to you.

Cured it for about 15 days. Weighed each piece and made up the cure mix for it and then vac sealed.

0.20% Cure 1
 2.0% salt
 1.0% sugar, just used white because my brown was not cooperating. I did leave the sugar out of 1 piece to see which way I like it better.

In the past I used Tenderquick. 1 Tablespoon of it and 1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar to a pound. So this was a new recipe for me.

After the 15 days I rinsed them well and put on a sheet pan with a rack and in the fridge over night. Used the tray smoker with hickory dust and and some cherry chips and pellets. After 3 hours I turned the smoker on to 200° for an hour then bumped the temp to 235° to finish. Pulled them at 137° and left sit about 30 minutes before plastic wrapping then cooled a while and back in  the fridge, will slice and package over the weekend.

I did try a small piece of the sugar and a small one with out, not really sure which I prefer just yet, but will figure it out.

Will post pics of sliced and packed when I get that part done.

First pic is just in smoker, second is after the 3 hours of cold smoke, then finished pictures.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Canadian style bacon.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 07:13:08 PM »

Lookin' good.
Definitely different than my recipe.  I do a brine for 6 days.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 09:14:44 PM »

And you will use this how?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 09:18:41 PM »

And you will use this how?

Breakfast just browned some, or in an egg mcmuffin type sandwich. chopped goes nice on pizza. I sometimes just eat it.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 12:27:27 PM »

Did I read this correctly, you cured them vacuum sealed? Whatever you did, they look great. I hope they taste as good as they look.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2023, 01:01:48 PM »

I don't make near that much, just one loin and it is strictly for pizza.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2023, 08:06:10 PM »

Did I read this correctly, you cured them vacuum sealed? Whatever you did, they look great. I hope they taste as good as they look.

weighed a piece then calculated the cure mix amounts, mixed and rubbed them well, then vac sealed and in the fridge, I would go back and flip them every few days.

The samples I tried while warm were good. The plan is to slice and package tomorrow.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 08:09:16 PM »

I don't make near that much, just one loin and it is strictly for pizza.

these will get sliced and packaged, some will go to my plow guy and some to a cousin that had asked when I was making some again a while back, I will put some in the freezer and some in the fridge just for snacking or whatever.

hughver

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2023, 10:41:44 AM »

weighed a piece then calculated the cure mix amounts, mixed and rubbed them well, then vac sealed and in the fridge, I would go back and flip them every few days.

I assume that you used a chamber vacuum sealer.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2023, 11:26:06 AM »

I assume that you used a chamber vacuum sealer.

yes but a regular suction machine or even a good freezer bag would work just as well. There is no liquid in the cure mix, just the 3 ingredients rubbed in to the meat. I would imagine you could even wrap very well with plastic wrap, one would probably have some leakage as it pulls some moisture out of the meat.

I use my chamber sealer for everything that will fit in it. I had to break out the big suction machine for some whole racks of ribs, took me 20 minutes to figure out how to make it work. Getting the setting right. I have a Vacmaster Pro380 suction machine, it rarely gets used, as I don't do that much large stuff, but for the deal I got on it new I had to buy it for such cases.

hughver

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2023, 11:54:08 AM »

Thanks for the details. Your post has inspired me to give this a try. When I've done it before I always used a wet cure mixture and only cured for a few days (cannot remember how many). I'm a very impatient person, I wonder if your dry method would work in a shorter time, it sounds easier.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2023, 12:08:03 PM »

Thanks for the details. Your post has inspired me to give this a try. When I've done it before I always used a wet cure mixture and only cured for a few days (cannot remember how many). I'm a very impatient person, I wonder if your dry method would work in a shorter time, it sounds easier.

I have done it in 10 days and have seen some do it it in 7, if you really want to shorten the time use tenderloins since they are smaller they will cure faster.

If I remember the cure penetrates 1/4" a day so I guess one could figure out  how thick your piece is and then multiple by 2 ,as it would penetrate top and bottom 1/4" a day. I would add a day to that number you end up with.

hughver

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2023, 12:27:57 PM »

Thanks

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2023, 06:06:16 PM »

Only picture I got of the sliced stuff, the GF was helping and as I sliced we bagged and she was sealing them they are in the back fridge now, we put 12 slices in each pack, sliced on the 6 setting on the Berkel not sure what that is actually maybe 3/16" these are of the nicely trimmed and lean pieces, some have more fat through out.

As it has been a few years since making any, i don't remember it being this moist. Had a nice flavor and just trying a little as I sliced I really can't tell much difference between the sugar and no sugar one. The GF couldn't taste the difference at all and I was surprised she liked it, I am sure that will change in the future.

I will update with better pictures when I open a pack of it.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2023, 06:31:29 PM »

All I see is Eggs Benedict,...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1]   Go Up