Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Bacon Weave Tacos and Big Burgers  (Read 3969 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Bacon Weave Tacos and Big Burgers
« on: January 11, 2024, 11:52:19 AM »

After the big win by Michigan, I started thinking about the Super Bowl. Since I am not delusional enough to think the Lions will win it all, my thoughts quickly turned to the most important thing about any Super Bowl, the food.

The last few years I have brought food for a youth group Super Bowl party. Usually there are about 80 kids. Last year it was the pizza taco. An extra large pepperoni pizza was used as the taco shell and there were probably 8 lbs of filling.

This year I decided to keep the taco theme going with bacon weave taco shells filled with Mac and Cheese.

After extensive research and development, and high level discussions with my engineering consultant, I think I have a plan.

Each shell is made 3 bacon strips cut in half, so the weave is 3×3. The squares are being baked at 400° until the bacon tightens up a bit and can be placed on a wire cooling rack to shape the taco shell. Then it is back in the oven to crisp it up.

I have found I can post pictures directly by using the camera feature, rather than attaching them from a file. However I can only do one at a time. Please forgive the multiple posts.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 01:09:49 PM by jdmessner »
God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Re: Bacon Weave Tacos
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 03:19:20 PM »

That sounds great, it really does.
Who doesn’t love bacon and filled with mac and cheese will be a huge hit.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 03:21:53 PM »

I did one shell as an experiment the other day. It turned out great, so I thought I was well on my way.

Today I thought I would kick it up a notch and do six. It did not go nearly as well. The squares did not fuse together and fell apart when I tried to shape them on the wire rack. I think the problem might be solved by rigging up a bacon press when they are first baked.

The next time I give this a try, I am going to try using another sheet pan on top of the bacon pan with a cast iron pan on top it for weight.

Pictured: Bacon press, rack set up, and my one good shell.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 05:44:25 PM »

Ever thought about filling with Western Mac-n-cheese?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 06:25:22 PM »

Ever thought about buying some of these and using them to cook the bacon?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FBNFPHG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've never done it, but after seeing what you were trying to accomplish was wondering why it wouldn't work.  You may possibly need to drill some holes to let grease drip out.

What do people think of this idea to help out JD?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
FE PG 1000

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 07:50:34 PM »

I think that a bacon weave taco shell is a marketable product.  Take it to the Shark Tank.

I also think that WiPelletHead's find is perfect for forming them.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2024, 08:04:30 PM »

I have the holders first suggested, they work well. The second is nice also.

I would use these if it were me, and when I bought mine had I paid more attention I would have bought these. See how the first two products are more sharply bent, and look at how these are more of a radius. For forming I believe these would be better and even if you used them as we do to put the shells in and warm, that radius I believe would allow the shell to open more allowing more fillings.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Stylish-Material-RTT-Dishwasher/dp/B08RD5G7MG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=VUH7R52GKSPT&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.KqpfwR_9wnXrClUfuO16mDBaVV9wbUwme9NdMElGF_-atx6SckbXl_UGppxjfKsPXd7Ox4PHO07-aFAwSPuqLw.6NhrKJqgJR3uEl5R2itUFn58E_ux6XTMrUGpIY7iFjQ&dib_tag=se&keywords=taco+rack+holder+stand&qid=1705021096&sprefix=taco+rack%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2024, 08:25:21 PM »

Great finds by WI and Big Dave.

Waiting for JD to jump back in here after he orders them and gives them a practice run.  He has 4 weeks or so before the Super Bowl to practice.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2024, 08:52:32 PM »

2 words...Meat Goo.  Send me your address and I will mail you some that jimsbarbeque donated to the site.  It has been frozen and vac sealed and I believe will still be viable.  You should not have to weave and i would hope the shrink will be much more uniform & manageable!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 09:04:02 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2024, 09:01:21 PM »

I would think the line would be micro fine between not cooked enough to hold shape, and over cooked to where disintegration becomes a serious factor!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 09:03:28 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2024, 10:13:36 PM »

Bentley, the “Meat Goo” sounds great! Thanks for the offer. My wife (a.k.a. engineering consultant) and I were joking that we should come up with a stapler that uses food grade meat staples! The goo is better yet and will be a game changer!

The taco holders are also a brilliant idea. Thanks for all the different suggestions. Big Dave, I think you are right, the wider bottom ones are probably the way to go. I have seen them used for holding tacos, but never would have thought to cook with them. They should be perfect for forming the shells. My initial thought is to bake the shells upside down on the holders. Hopefully it will maintain the shape while allowig the fat to drain, rather than pool at the bottom. I will order some tonight and keep you posted as things progress.

I am grateful for a few snow days, which freed up some time to experiment. I figured there would be a learning curve. Typically, I wait till the last minute and get really frustrated when things don’t go as planned!

Kristin, what is the Western Mac-and-Cheese you mentioned? I haven't started thinking about that part of it yet, other than making sure the filling isn't too creamy and sloppy.

Thanks for all of your help!

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2024, 10:44:02 PM »

I would think the line would be micro fine between not cooked enough to hold shape, and over cooked to where disintegration becomes a serious factor!

I do believe that is going to be very true. The one that turned out, I kept a very close eye on. The two on the rack were over cooked because I was distracted and left them in for just a few minutes too long. Quality control will be job 1! I plan to do them in small batches, so I don't get too far ahead of myself. Hopefully I will be able to establish a routine and a rhythm that will help maintain consistency.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2024, 02:29:07 PM »

Taco stands are ordered. Looks like it will take about a week to get here. I'll be looking forward to the experimental process!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2024, 11:04:16 AM »

Whenever I'm cooking bacon, if practical, I cook it in the pit at 350°.  The pit adds soooo much flavor.  It may do the same when you're making bacon taco shells.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up