Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What would you but with a 3-4K budget?  (Read 534 times)

atlasx2001

• Using less gas.
What would you but with a 3-4K budget?
« on: April 07, 2024, 09:48:34 AM »

I was going to buy a new pellet grill a few years ago but was waiting on my GMG to die.   It is still going strong but going to just pull the trigger and get something new.   This time around I have a much bigger budget but not entirely sure its worth spending. 

Yoder 640S comp was on my mind.   I'm not worried about a little rust (GMG also has a bit of rust after 10+ years).   What's important to me is have a decent smoke flavor, easy to use (no offsets), and good quality.   My only real complaint about the GMG was the lid never sealed right. 

Thanks for the input and comments in advance.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
Re: What would you but with a 3-4K budget?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 10:18:46 AM »

I loved my Pitts & Spitts Maverick 850 before it died a fiery death when my barn burned down.  Very stabe temps and great smoke flavor and it was very good on pellet consumption.  I posted some pics of it in the Other Manufacturers section.  I bought a Camp Chef Woodwind Pro 24 with the Sidekick and accessories to replace my griddle and pellet grill with one unit.  Plus I wanted the have the gas grill option for searing steaks and to cook stuff in a pot outside.  The Camp Chef isn't nearly as good of quality but cooks very well.  I need to do a review on it still but I've had other irons in the fire.  I can get a much thicker smoke ring on the CC because it has the ability to use charcoal and/or wood chunks also.  There's a video of a guy on YouTube doing side by side comparison cooks on both of them if you want to look for it.  I think they were the bigger 36 inch units.  Anyway,  I would recommend either one but it just depends on what your needs and desires are.  I had a GMG before the P&S and really liked it also.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 10:56:00 AM »

I have had my MAK 2 Star for 8 to ten years and could not be happier.   I live in Maryland and have used it in all kinds of weather from down pours to snow, to freezing temps to high nineties.  I keep on my neck mostly covered however not always never empty the hopper and have never had an issue with wet pellets.  When I have had an issue I have called MAK and have found over the years their customer service to be absolutly the best.  I very strongly recommend their product and it is 100 percent American made. 

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 11:06:31 AM »

I was in the same position a few months ago and chose the MAK.  I used to tell people that the three best pits were Cookshack Fast Eddy, MAK and Memphis.

I had a Fast Eddy PG500 for 8 years and was satisfied with it but it blew ash and unburned pellet dust into the smoking area.  I sold it when I decided to quit eating that stuff.

I read that the Memphis quality dropped off when they moved production to China, so I ruled them out.

I bought a MAK 2-Star General.  I've only cooked on it a couple of times because of the weather and poor health, but I think I'll be pleased.

You may want to wait for Bentley's performance review of the new Weber offering.  I wish that his reviews hadn't dropped off.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

atlasx2001

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 12:35:53 PM »

Appreciate everyone's input so quickly.   The Mak-2 star was also on my list of ones to consider...no one every seems to complain about them.  I am in PA and would likely have this on my deck or perhaps under my deck.   The stainless steel does appeal to me.

It looks like it will put me right at the top of the number with the shelf and cabinet door.   

The China made products are out for me...I'm sure some of the manufacturing is great but I do not want to risk it for the dollars I am putting into this.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 12:55:42 PM »

Where in PA are you?  I'm on the Eastern side.  I leave my grills outside uncovered and it has finally bit me last year.  Both my Memphis (USA made) and my MAK 2 have pellet jams now.  The MAK is very versatile to use.  I enjoy the side cabinet that I bought for it to cold smoke cheese and jerky.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

atlasx2001

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 01:54:52 PM »

Where in PA are you?  I'm on the Eastern side.  I leave my grills outside uncovered and it has finally bit me last year.  Both my Memphis (USA made) and my MAK 2 have pellet jams now.  The MAK is very versatile to use.  I enjoy the side cabinet that I bought for it to cold smoke cheese and jerky.

Best landmark for me is Longwood Gardens...about 10 minutes from there.    I've never tried to smoke cheese or jerky but would have to try it if I end up with one.     As for the augur jams, I had that post storm once with the GMG...it was solid...water really got in there but easy to pull it apart and fix it.   

Getting more and more swayed to the MAK.   

atlasx2001

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2024, 06:24:21 PM »

Well..I went and did it...Mak 2 all Stainless Steel...Thanks for the input everyone.    Hope it does take too long to get it delivered to the East Coast.

NorCal Smoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2024, 10:48:48 PM »

You won't regret it. I bought my first 2 star in 2011 and my second one in 2020. Only upgraded because they offered $1000 off the second one if I sent the first back to them. The new models have much more even heat distribution than the old ones and the dual flame zone is great. Old ones only had 1/2 flame zone. Enjoy!  I hated to get the all stainless dirty!  :rotf:

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2024, 03:02:22 PM »

Well..I went and did it...Mak 2 all Stainless Steel...

Congratulations on the new pit.  I'm certainly not an expert or even knowledgable about all pits; there may be one or two that might be an equal or even better, but I've not run across any.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

atlasx2001

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2024, 10:18:10 PM »

You won't regret it. I bought my first 2 star in 2011 and my second one in 2020. Only upgraded because they offered $1000 off the second one if I sent the first back to them. The new models have much more even heat distribution than the old ones and the dual flame zone is great. Old ones only had 1/2 flame zone. Enjoy!  I hated to get the all stainless dirty!  :rotf:

The all SS will make me clean it more which will be a good thing.    The flame zone was not the convincer to me on this one...I have a grill for that...it was the no rust and "smokier" reviews compared to Yoder...as I thought of the rust, the GMG does have some after 8 years but only surface...just didn't want to spend thousands and deal with that. 

atlasx2001

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2024, 10:19:46 PM »

Well..I went and did it...Mak 2 all Stainless Steel...

Congratulations on the new pit.  I'm certainly not an expert or even knowledgable about all pits; there may be one or two that might be an equal or even better, but I've not run across any.

Actually was surprised to see some new entrants since I last looked (8 years ago)..but from every review out there, doesn't seem that I can go wrong with this.   Except for the credit card bill.  :)

atlasx2001

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2024, 09:37:56 PM »

Wow...Mak must have some stock of these.  SS 2 star ordered on Sunday..shipped out on Tuesday...here on Monday....Now what to cook first on it is the big choice.

MP09

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2024, 11:04:21 PM »

I've had 2 Blazin grills for several years. Totally happy.
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"
Pages: [1]   Go Up