Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PG500 mobility  (Read 2177 times)

Waffle860

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
PG500 mobility
« on: October 28, 2017, 08:18:51 PM »

I just placed an order for a PG500 and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival!

Has anyone installed any handles or upgraded the PG500 wheels to make it easier to move around?  Without any stock handles it looks akward to move around on anything other than perfectly flat terrain.

I plan on keeping the unit in my garage and wheeling it into the driveway for fast cooks. For long cooks I may want to pull the unit over a small door threshold onto the back patio.

Thanks

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: PG500 mobility
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 08:21:17 PM »

Build a small ramp out of wood cut on a 45 degree angle and butt it up against your threshold.  That is how i get all of my grills onto the patio from the garage.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Waffle860

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 08:51:29 PM »

Build a small ramp out of wood cut on a 45 degree angle and butt it up against your threshold.  That is how i get all of my grills onto the patio from the garage.

I will likely build a ramp as suggested, but I am still thinking of adding folding handles just below the firebox on the legs.  Something similar to this:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0057H4KWU/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1509238077&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=stainless+folding+pull+handle

I guess i'll play around with it a bit once it arrives before ordering anything.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:56:02 PM by Waffle860 »

InThePitBBQ

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 09:04:31 PM »

The PG 500 comes with 4 casters these days, but they aren't very large. Rolls just ok on concrete, but the unit is heavy and you won't like trying to get it over a door threshold at all and larger wheels aren't going to help that scenario to much plus you'd be putting a lot of stress on the unit moving it like that.

If you need to move it more than 10-15 feet on the concrete a wheel upgrade would be money very well spent right from the start, it's heavy enough and the stock casters small enough to get hung up in the joints between slabs in a concrete driveway.

I keep mine right inside the garage doors and roll it out every time I want to use it as well I decided this was the last cooker I'm buying and don't want it out in the weather.

I have no doubts it will last a lifetime if cared for aside from needing some replacement parts down the road.

Waffle860

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 04:33:50 PM »

My PG500 arrived a couple months ago and I have been keeping it in the garage and just wheel it out to the driveway for cooking.  Even pushing it that short distance was a pain with the small casters.  I picked up 6"diameter x 2"wide, flat free casters from Apollo Caster (Model #65421)

http://apollocaster.com/store/6-x-2-swivel-caster-with-a-flat-free-black-wheel-threaded-stem-connector-and-ball-brng-65421-p-65421.html

They come with 1/2"x13 stems so they just thread right into the stock legs (assuming you have a newer PG500 with the 4 casters).  I took the grids, drawers, and pellets out to reduce weight.  Then lifted the unit up (hopper side first) and put wood under the cross braces to swap the wheels out by myself.  The grill is about 3.25" taller, but I actually like it because it is easier to see what's on the top shelf without hunching over.

I am real happy with it.  It pushes with ease and no longer gets stuck on little rocks and cracks in the cement.  I just need to make sure I always lock the wheels or it could take off down the drive!  Next I need to get some handles on it.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 01:32:26 PM by Waffle860 »

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 09:26:37 PM »

Nicely done!
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 12:17:10 PM »

Waffle, that's a welcome change.  My PG500 is an older vintage so it appears that I'll need to stand on my head and try to drill some holes in the SS legs.  I'm not yet motivated to do it.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 12:01:45 PM »

Nice...   I might have to try this in the spring...    My PG500 sits in one spot, I have no concrete, nothing smooth.  To move it, I have to layout cardboard on the ground, etc... even then it's tricky to move. Those larger wheels might just make it move across , say grass?
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 03:53:26 PM »

I think for grass you almost have to have pneumatics...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Waffle860

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »

Those larger wheels might just make it move across , say grass?

I bet if the soil was nice and dry you could make it across grass.  I went with the 2" wide wheels to spread the weight out.  I would give the grass a try but we have about 3" of snow on the ground and the first inch or so of soil is frozen anyway.

If the ground thaws out again soon I will give the grass a try.

I was able to push it through about 1" of snowy slush on my concrete driveway today with a little effort.  I purposely did not clear the snow to see how it would do.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:53:19 PM by Waffle860 »

jasonjax

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 07:47:32 PM »

Nice! I wish my PG-500 was newer as well to knock this upgrade out.

I'd like to be able to move it easier for competitions. It is a PITA to use it as is. I even knocked off one of the retainers holding the two wheels on and used a hose-clamp to "fix" that for now.

Glad to see Cookshack realized this was an issue and started manufacturing a different version.

I already put nice pneumatics on my FEC-100, and it is a new machine in terms of moving it around.

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 12:04:05 AM »

Nice! I wish my PG-500 was newer as well to knock this upgrade out.

I'd like to be able to move it easier for competitions. It is a PITA to use it as is. I even knocked off one of the retainers holding the two wheels on and used a hose-clamp to "fix" that for now.

Glad to see Cookshack realized this was an issue and started manufacturing a different version.

I already put nice pneumatics on my FEC-100, and it is a new machine in terms of moving it around.

What wheels did you use on your FEC-100? I have a FEC-120 and would like to replace the wheels.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

jasonjax

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 11:14:39 AM »

I wish I still had the link. I will see if there is anything identifying on the caster/wheel combo, but I purchased them at Grainger and it was a direct bolt-on to the existing frame. Worked AWESOME.

EDIT: Think I found it. Double check the internal diameter measurements for the bolts, but I am almost positive these are the guys.

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-6-Light-Duty-Knobby-Tread-1ULH1?cm_sp=Product_Details-_-Customer_Also_Viewed-_-AZIDPRR_9262-9435-2&cm_vc=AZIDPRR_9262-9435-2&req=Customer_Also_Viewed
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 11:21:18 AM by jasonjax »
Pages: [1]   Go Up