News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 1311 times)

Jon515

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Help!
« on: April 08, 2018, 09:06:02 PM »

So tonight I tried to use my Daniel Boone and I started it up everything seemed normal.  After a while I saw there was no change in temperature.  I went outside and the fans were going, but no smoke and no heat which was odd.  I hadn't cleaned the firebox for a while so I did that.  It was full with ashes and some fresh pellets.  Cleaned it all out restarted it and the same result.  No heat, no smoke just the fan going.  Did my heating element go out?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 09:13:34 PM »

while the grill is off, throw a handful of pellets in the fire pot and light them on fire.  when you get a raging fire (5+ minutes), turn on your grill like you normally would.  once you see the fire will continue with the air feed and pellets dumping, put your difuser, drip pan, grates, etc back in the grill and everything should be fine to continue with a cook.  most likely, the ignitor rod is shot.  you could test it by turning on the grill and seeing if it starts to glow.  if it doesn't it is probably dead.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 09:59:28 PM »

I had a similar experience with my DC, except that the display code was FAL.  I found the display codes on the GMG site, failure to ignite.  I had previously vacuumed the fire pit clean and I guess the failure was due to no pellets in the pot.  I unplugged the unit and restarted the startup sequence and it started heating as it should.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/support/daniel-boone/

HTH someone. 

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 10:41:13 PM »

Sounds like it.  Clean it out, start it and hold your fingers on the glow plug.  If it is not hot in 10 seconds it is burnt out, or at least not working.  Use Lew's method till new one comes!

No heat, no smoke just the fan going.  Did my heating element go out?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Redapple

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 11:20:16 PM »

This has happened to me in the past, actually a few times. I agree this is more than likely to happen with ashes in the fire pot than not. I also agree with all said here, however, if getting ready for a cook, with no time to clean the pit before hand, I simply turn it off, and restart it. It always lit on the second try, once it took two tries.

I also agree that this could be the start of an igniter failure. If it is under warranty reach out to GMG for a replacement, if not, they are cheap enough to purchase.

Good Luck with it.

Bill

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 11:17:06 AM »

This has happened to me a couple of times on my Traeger - the hot rod went out. To continue your cook until you get your replacement, Bar-B-Lew's method works well. I like to use a propane torch on the pellets in the fire pot until it ignites with the cooker running - the fan helps get the pellets going. Usually takes less than a minute to get the pellets going.

I was so annoyed the first time the igniter went out that I simply started the cooker that way for months before I gave in and purchased another hot rod.
PZ

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 12:15:10 PM »

Just don't stick your fingers down by the hot rod after it's been working for a while...  ( I was trying to clean ash out of my firepot one day when if failed to start because it was so full of ash... ouch )
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Jon515

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 10:49:54 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I called GMG they are sending me a new element.  Apparently I have the old one that uninstalls from under the pellet hopper and the new one goes through the firebox.  Has anyone replaced one of these before?

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 09:54:03 AM »

Jon515 - Gmg has how- to information on youtube that should help you.

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 10:22:59 AM »

This got me to worrying.  Mine is a 2011 model and the original owner said he never changed the igniter so I figured now would be the time to order one.  Less than $17 with shipping and tax and now my original one will never go out thanks to having a spare.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 10:49:59 AM »

I've been using my Blazn for 18 months without an ignitor.  I bought the grill used w/o one and have never install one of the two that the prior owner gave me as part of the sale.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 02:45:37 PM »

Funny how that works...I bought a big screen in about 2009 I think it was, did not really research it.  It had a lamp, they were like $179, one went out under warranty, and again about 3 years later, long after warrantee was gone, so when I had to buy that replacement, I found a deal so bought 2...Move to VA, there is no such thing as lightning in Southern California, never dawned on surge protection...Bingo, lighting strike and they want $900 to repair a $1600 TV.  By by, extra lamp!

Less than $17 with shipping and tax and now my original one will never go out thanks to having a spare.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 03:50:35 PM »

There are two negatives to spare parts:

1/ Warranty may expire before installation or be reduced.

2/ Improved product. May have an old style part.

However, 1/ + 2/ may be offset by convince.
Pages: [1]   Go Up