Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Davy Crockett Internal Dimensions  (Read 5976 times)

jasonjax

• Using less gas.
Davy Crockett Internal Dimensions
« on: January 31, 2018, 02:18:20 PM »

Would someone mind sharing the real dimensions? I mean side to side and back to front. I can't find the info online readily, and also, grate size may not be actual size. IE: grate may have a half-inch on either side where the lip of a pan could still fit.

I am wondering if a full pan would fit in it which is basically 20"x12".

Much appreciated in advance seeing as I can't find one locally to go measure. :)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Davy Crockett Internal Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 03:04:45 PM »

Why not call the manufacturer?? May have to if no-one replies.

jstrand

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 03:13:44 PM »

Front to back is 12 3/4", side to side is 17 3/4". So unfortunately that pan won't fit.

jasonjax

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 05:02:57 PM »

Thanks for the quick response! Much appreciated. Now will have to figure out if I could get some pans that would fit.

TechMOGogy

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 05:13:04 PM »

I use a 1/2 pan in mine for almost everything
GMG DC, FEC100, PK360

lyork

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 06:09:37 PM »

Can you fit a packer brisket in one ?

RemoGaggi

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 06:25:45 PM »

I've done a small brisket in mine before with mixed results.  However, an annoying thing about the DC is the hot spots around the edges of the grate.  At least for me, the closer the meat is to the outer edge of the grate, the better chance it will get crispy, no matter how low I'm smoking. 
Mak 1-Star, GMG Davy Crockett, Weber WSM & Various Kettles

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 07:56:21 AM »

No packer briskets in a Davy...  that's it's main downfall...

As RemoGaggi was saying, while the internal dimensions of the Davy are just shy of 12.75x17.75", you really have to reduce the front to back dimension by at least 3 inches,  if you want to try and avoid the worst of the heat that rolls up around the edges of the drip tray...   So, your probably really looking at closer to 9x16" of space that's mostly void of any excessive heat... Having said that, I have cooked two racks of ribs on the main grate... you just have to be aware and understand that extra heat around the front/back.   

Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

jstrand

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 12:12:02 PM »

I did a 12 pound packer in mine. Turned out fine, no charred edges. Only thing I had to do was use a bowl under it at the beginning so it would fit lengthwise, after a while I removed the bowl. After it hit around 170 I did wrap in butcher paper for the remainder.

RemoGaggi

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 01:35:17 PM »

No packer briskets in a Davy...  that's it's main downfall...

As RemoGaggi was saying, while the internal dimensions of the Davy are just shy of 12.75x17.75", you really have to reduce the front to back dimension by at least 3 inches,  if you want to try and avoid the worst of the heat that rolls up around the edges of the drip tray...   So, your probably really looking at closer to 9x16" of space that's mostly void of any excessive heat... Having said that, I have cooked two racks of ribs on the main grate... you just have to be aware and understand that extra heat around the front/back.   

I guess, I'm not only one experiencing the crispy edges.  However, I went through all of our baking pans and found one that is about 15 x 10 x 2.5 inches tall.  It fits the DC and I'm thinking the next time I need to smoke a larger piece of meat, I'll try using the baking dish to protect the edges like JStrand did. 

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 03:01:21 PM »

you could probably rig up some tinfoil to place around the edges, to act as a heat shield...   

Not sure I've ever seen a 12 pound packer... but I suppose you cut off the thin end of a flat and maybe squeeze one in that was  originally larger than would normally fit.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

jstrand

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 03:27:11 PM »

you could probably rig up some tinfoil to place around the edges, to act as a heat shield...   

Not sure I've ever seen a 12 pound packer... but I suppose you cut off the thin end of a flat and maybe squeeze one in that was  originally larger than would normally fit.

Well I think it was around 15, but I trimmed away about 3 pounds of fat so in the end 12 pounds.

RemoGaggi

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 06:10:50 PM »

I found a 10x15 pan at Marshalls  for just $4.99 - I'll be trying out in the DC.  It's perfectly sized and I'm hopeful it will protect the edges of the meat from getting crispy. 

jstrand

• Using less gas.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 07:58:26 PM »

Nice. I have a 10x15 cooling rack I made into a second shelf per Old Daves design.
Hopefully it works for you.

RemoGaggi

• Using less gas.
Re: Davy Crockett Internal Dimensions - 2nd Rack
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 08:36:55 PM »

Since we're on the subject of 2nd racks, I found that this Mr. BBQ grill topper is a perfect size for the DC.  You can find this in a couple different brands, but it's the same thing and measures about 10.25 x15.25 after your done with the slight modification.  Hold the grate with some large pliers and then use large vise grips to grab the handle.  Bend it a couple of times and it will break right off.  Do the same for the other handle.  Then lay the grate down and flatten with a rubber mallet.  Add the legs and you're done.  I've made 2 of these and they slide in and out of the DC easily. 

With the handles removed and flattened with legs added:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up