Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cast Iron Cookware  (Read 1283 times)

Soldier17

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Cast Iron Cookware
« on: February 22, 2018, 05:54:50 PM »

Does anyone use cast iron cookware on their smokers? I've seen recipes where smoked meat was added to a Dutch oven afterwards such as chili, but was curious about using the cookware on the smoker itself.

I recently was given some cast ironware so I'm looking to try some new recipes out on the grill.

Rec Tec RT-680

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Cast Iron Cookware
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 06:24:32 PM »

I've used CI in my smoker.  It gets covered with smoke which is difficult to remove without washing.  Washing is tough on seasoning.  I changed to washable containers.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 06:32:14 PM »

For sure. Skillets to griddles..Cast iron works well in all cooking environments I can think of.  If you are new to cast iron, there are certain things to look out for. It must be heated and cooled slowly, or it may warp or crack. It doesn't conduct heat well - that is correct. Slow to heat and holds on to it...  Rust could become an issue if not properly maintained. So clean, DRY, heat and oil lightly. Store in a dry environment in a way air is not trapped in it ,as in upside-down. .. Be prepared for some sticking food at first until the long process of seasoning has progressed enough to be effective.  Try not to cook anything acidic or that has water added at first as it will erode the seasoning.. I find that seasoned cast iron imparts flavours of its own in some foods.  Have fun!

Soldier17

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 06:55:35 PM »

Thank you both for the great information! I am really looking forward to trying out the new cookware and especially the new recipes.
Rec Tec RT-680

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 08:35:41 PM »

I have a couple cheap no name CI pans that I use in my grill for casseroles and roasted potatos.  The good stuff is used indoors or for Dutch oven coking. 

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 10:59:00 AM »

I have cooked cornbread in a cast iron skillet several times in my smoker.  Of course if it was cooked in the smoker it was better than the oven.  Our motorhome has only a convection oven and it gets the motorhome extremely hot when using it.  So I cook what I can in my Traeger Junior.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Canadian John

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 09:33:45 AM »

CASST IRON COOKWARE INFORMATION:  Old or new at it, have a look at;  "Southern Cast Iron" and " The Culinary Fanatic " - Jeffery B Rogers..These are excellent sources of information... Just be aware there is a lot of misleading cast iron

information out there that may end up generating discouragement. Too bad as cast iron is hard to beat and can can last for generations if maintained.

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 08:05:00 PM »

CASST IRON COOKWARE INFORMATION:  Old or new at it, have a look at;  "Southern Cast Iron" and " The Culinary Fanatic " - Jeffery B Rogers..These are excellent sources of information... Just be aware there is a lot of misleading cast iron

information out there that may end up generating discouragement. Too bad as cast iron is hard to beat and can can last for generations if maintained.
That guy has a serious collection of CI skillets.   :clap:

Canadian John

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 09:52:18 AM »

Darwin - That is called addiction.... And I thought my 30 pieces  was a collection.

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 12:06:24 PM »

Darwin - That is called addiction.... And I thought my 30 pieces  was a collection.
John, I know what you mean.  I have just under 20 pieces of CI camp ovens, dutch ovens and skillets.  I almost ordered a couple more the other night just because I like the Buffalo Nickle 10.25" skillet.   :help: 
I do differ with the guy in the link. Flax seed oil is my preferred oil for seasoning, I think it's a much better "finish".

Ralphie

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 09:54:32 PM »

cast iron is hard to beat and can can last for generations if maintained.

I have one cast iron skillet and use it regularly. It was my grandmother’s go-to skillet. It’s from the 1950’s at least and still in pristine condition.
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13
Pages: [1]   Go Up