Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beef Cut for Hamburger?  (Read 559 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Beef Cut for Hamburger?
« on: February 25, 2018, 08:23:47 PM »

Does anyone who grinds their own beef for hamburger use something less expensive than chuck roast or brisket?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Beef Cut for Hamburger?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 08:42:03 PM »

I guess it depends on your area as to prices...I cant buy beef anymore and grind it for what I can buy ground beef for.  I used to love a Brisket, Sirloin and Skirt blend, but to have that blend now days...that is about a $6/lb. ground beef.  And around here 73/27 is about $3/lb.

To answer your question, the only time I grind mine anymore is special occasion, or when I go to RD and they have some nice deals on the gotta sell beef table...and then yes, it is at least less then the Chuck!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 08:58:56 PM »

Chuck is at least $3.50/# here and up to almost $6 in some places.  I believe my brother told me that briskets are slightly less than $3/# for packers at RD.  I will have to see what other cuts are less than $3/# there.  I may go next Friday.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

texasbrew

• Using less gas.
  • Atascocita, Tx
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 09:50:25 PM »

Chuck is at least $3.50/# here and up to almost $6 in some places.  I believe my brother told me that briskets are slightly less than $3/# for packers at RD.  I will have to see what other cuts are less than $3/# there.  I may go next Friday.
I think some places here in Texas grind shoulder clod for burgers but I have no idea how much it goes for.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 11:05:27 AM »

So far I've tried ribeye, NY strip, chuck, and tri-tip, but only when the price has been at or below the cost of ground beef in my area which hovers about $3.99/lb. Of them all, the wife likes the tri-tip above all else, which is good because the ribeye and strip has skyrocketed in my area. I regularly purchase unpeeled tri-tip at C&C for around $2.50-$3.00/lb.

The other reason I like to use fresh ground beef is that I can cook to the rare state I like without the fear of bacterial contamination.
PZ

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 11:45:12 AM »

Each week Kroger seems to put a particular cut on sale for 2.50 a pound. Sometimes Chuck. Other times sirloin, bottom round, etc. I usually buy a couple roasts of whatever is on sale to vac seal, freeze, then use later for various purposes. Have Kroger in your area?

Also, Gordon food service sells giant vac sealed whole cuts for decent prices if you wanted to grind alot in bulk.

I usually don't because I catch sales, but I would happily pay upwards of 7 dollars a pound for my own ground beef. The end result and especially texture is worth the extra price. For things like tacos or casseroles I may reach for one of my lesser blends, but honestly I think you will have a hard time going back to preground beef after having a fresh ground burger. The texture more than the flavor is what sets it apart.

If you are really trying to do it on the cheap alot of butchers will sell beef fat for next to nothing. You could grind that in with whatever cut you want, and get some good results. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:54:03 AM by Free Mr. Tony »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 12:17:15 PM »

Unfortunately, no Kroger or GFS in the area.  I will review what RD has to offer this weekend.  Looking forward to the meat grinder to arrive and give it a test spin with something.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 01:12:55 PM »

I see the RD where we are going tomorrow near Dullas Airport in Chantilly has Inside Top Round on sale for $2.79/lb.  I see the one in your neck of the woods does too!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 01:36:07 PM »

I see the RD where we are going tomorrow near Dullas Airport in Chantilly has Inside Top Round on sale for $2.79/lb.  I see the one in your neck of the woods does too!

If you eat a lot of chicken breasts, check to see if they have the boneless skinless for $0.99/# like they do here.  Have to buy a 40# box though.  I split it up with family.  Each side of the breast weighs about a pound - some big chickens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up