Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the Memphis an elite smoker in the pellet genre?  (Read 1619 times)

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
Is the Memphis an elite smoker in the pellet genre?
« on: March 02, 2018, 08:28:06 AM »

I am really close to purchasing one of the top premium pellet grills and this is something I can’t seem to get a really good answer on through research and info available. I know the Memphis is top 2 if not top dog in the grilling, high heat, searing category but I want to make sure the Memphis pro is a plenty capable smoker. I want good bark, smoke rings, and good smoke flavor when I cook low and slow.  Also, is the Memphis a pain to clean ash on? I would also love to see some pics of different types of food arranged on the Memphis so I can get an idea of how useful the space and configuration is. Thank you!

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
Re: Is the Memphis an elite smoker in the pellet genre?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 09:19:22 AM »

Thank you. I have spoken w/Bar-B-Lew and he has been very helpful. I am just so torn I need more input so I am completely satisfied with my choice. I would love if he continues to throw his input in these threads ;)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 09:34:27 AM »

Pulled pork

NY Strip at ~600° over open flame insert

Pulled beef from smoked chuck roasts

Baby back ribs (I don't sauce)

Smoked mac and cheese

Smoked sausage

Smoked turkey breasts and pork loin
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 09:39:35 AM »

I am just so torn I need more input so I am completely satisfied with my choice.

You're possibly torn because you're considering other pits.  If so, which one(s).  Members here are likely able to help you differentiate between them.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 09:40:02 AM »

Pork shoulder put on grill frozen with no rub and cooked at 300°

Beef ribs

Chuck Roast Burnt Ends

Country Style Pork Ribs Burnt Ends

Beef Jerky
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 10:27:16 AM »

I know this doesn’t speak directly to your question, but will a new pellet cooker be used more for smoking or more for grilling... or evenly split?

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 10:29:21 AM »

Some good looking vittles right there! :bbq: :lick:
X2! Dang Bar-B-Lew!!! I vote you to cater my next Weight Watchers meeting...lol!!! Fantastic looking food :)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 10:41:28 AM »

Re cleaning; You would be hard pressed to find anything easier. With the split grates that are just slid to the side to access the one piece, easy to lift out heat deflector, the burn pot is exposed..Fly ash is mostly contained under the heat shield.. As stated above, no drip bucket- a major plus... I replaced the disposable aluminum pans with permanent steel baking pans.  You'll find the fly ash mixes with the grease  in the pans forming an easy to remove paste. :2cents:

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 10:44:46 AM »

I hope the pics help answer questions on different methods of cooking on a Memphis pellet grill.  Thanks for all the kind responses.  I thought pics would be better than my words in trying to explain whether it could smoke.  I will admit I only smoked on a gas grill with pellets or wood chips in a smoke box (Weber Summit had a built in box with separate burner).  I also had a vertical propane smoker and some other propane smokers for a bit too.  I never smoked on a stick burner or something with really heavy smoke so I don't miss a taste I never knew if you get what I mean.  I can't complain about anything that I have ever cooked on it.

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 11:02:59 AM »

I am just so torn I need more input so I am completely satisfied with my choice.

You're possibly torn because you're considering other pits.  If so, which one(s).  Members here are likely able to help you differentiate between them.

I don’t think they like you to compare another cooker in Said Manufacturers thread section. I posted about the other very recently.

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 11:08:52 AM »

I know this doesn’t speak directly to your question, but will a new pellet cooker be used more for smoking or more for grilling... or evenly split?

I am trying to have 1 device do both very well and my wife requires it to be push button and I need it to last a very long time. 

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 11:11:07 AM »

Re cleaning; You would be hard pressed to find anything easier. With the split grates that are just slid to the side to access the one piece, easy to lift out heat deflector, the burn pot is exposed..Fly ash is mostly contained under the heat shield.. As stated above, no drip bucket- a major plus... I replaced the disposable aluminum pans with permanent steel baking pans.  You'll find the fly ash mixes with the grease  in the pans forming an easy to remove paste. :2cents:

Thank you, very helpful.

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 11:12:47 AM »

Thanks Bar-B-Lew....you’ve been extremely helpful and I think this thread will be a great addition to the websites content because of everyone’s help.

Lantern

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 11:23:38 AM »

Depends on what elite is to you.

To me, an elite pellet cooker for smoking is the FEC 120. So, in that sense the answer would be no.

However, as you have seen in this thread ELITE food can be made on this level of cooker with little effort. And, IMO, all the cookers in its class can achieve the same with little differences here and there.

My advice is this. Get the cooker that you keep thinking about. There is no real WRONG or bad choice unless you want a unit that can make Napoli pizzas in 90 seconds. But, the one you keep thinking about WILL keep nagging at you if you don't buy it first even if the other unit does a fine job.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 11:38:45 AM »

Depends on what elite is to you.

To me, an elite pellet cooker for smoking is the FEC 120. So, in that sense the answer would be no.

However, as you have seen in this thread ELITE food can be made on this level of cooker with little effort. And, IMO, all the cookers in its class can achieve the same with little differences here and there.

My advice is this. Get the cooker that you keep thinking about. There is no real WRONG or bad choice unless you want a unit that can make Napoli pizzas in 90 seconds. But, the one you keep thinking about WILL keep nagging at you if you don't buy it first even if the other unit does a fine job.

Probably why I have a patio full of grills.  I was not aware of this type of forum when I made my first purchase, and not sure some of the options I have were even around then.  Your advise is very sound IMO especially if there are financial, space, or other constraints when making the decision.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 11:40:51 AM by Bar-B-Lew »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up