Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Well look what I just stumbled upon...  (Read 1611 times)

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Well look what I just stumbled upon...
« on: March 06, 2018, 07:14:22 PM »

From time to time, I love to just swing by one of my favorite grill stores and peruse the showroom floor!  Just so happens they are having a tent sale on a few of their older unsold inventory.  They have one Pro in 430 SS... a 2015 model... never cooked on. Although the 2015’s didn’t come with the same goodies that the newer models do (genie took, direct flame cover, etc), they said they’d be willing to throw those items in to the deal. Do not think that I was not tempted!!! Was told that it has been sitting out there for five days with no buyer yet… crazy!

WiPelletHead

• Mondovi WI
Re: Well look what I just stumbled upon...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 07:20:33 PM »

Careful, that might just follow you home.

Should make a great deal for some one!
FE PG 1000

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 07:25:19 PM »

if that was near me it may be on my patio right now...that is a steal
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 07:53:37 PM »

Sitting there for five days...most viewers don't know what they're looking at.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 07:55:31 PM »

I bet it is not there at the end of the week! To many Members sending emails to friends and family right now!    :pig:
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

rwalters

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 08:06:24 PM »

So after carefully looking this beauty over, I have a couple of questions for you Memphis owners:

1) The indirect setup is much different than my MAK. On the Memphis, there is a pretty large gap between the indirect pan and the front of the grill. The MAK does not have that. On the Memphis, when grilling something like chicken parts indirect, say at 450°, how much hotter do you find the front of the grill surface to be? Are you having to shuffle food around to promote even browning? Or can you use every square inch for grilling and get even cooking?

2) This question is in the context of reverse searing fatty cuts of meat. The grease management system is much different than my MAK. On the MAK the grease runoff gets nowhere near the fire pot. On the Memphis, the grease travels much closer to the raging fire on its way to the grease pans. This video has given me concern. Watching this video, for you Memphis owners, do you believe the ball of fire is due to a dirty grill or could it simply be the grease igniting on its way to the grease pans as it passes near the intense heat.

https://youtu.be/avs9xNyz21o

Just to lay it all out there on the table, I did call Urban Bonfire last year and discussed this video with them. They did tell me that they have had issues with grease fires when doing this type of reverse searing.

Would love to hear more from you fatty reverse sear kinda guys...

Always curious and always trying to learn
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 08:14:22 PM by rwalters »

rwalters

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 08:07:33 PM »

I know that most people have no clue about the crazy good deal they are walking by... heck, to most people it looks like one of those “pricey gas grills”...lol.

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 08:18:37 PM »

I’ll meet you in Colorado to transfer it and buy your dinner and reimburse your gas money 8)

That’s the deal I’m looking for, sucks it’s 1500 miles away.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 08:23:37 PM »

If you go over the drip pan it will be hotter.  I wouldn't recommend doing it at high heat with something greasy.

Well, I have had fires on both at high heat due to hot grease hitting a dirty drip pan.  I think the fire in the video is due to the same thing that I mention.  So, I think the combo of both will happen on any grill at that high of heat IMO.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 08:48:08 PM »

Have a 2010 model, so maybe things have change.  About a 3/4 inch gap in the front and the back, and just like a MAK, the gap is going to be hotter then no gap. I don't cook over the gap, so I have no idea.

The guy has the pit at 500° and has chicken fat dripping on it.  There is a possibility it might start a fire if enough grease is there.  I can tell you with 100% certainty that happen when I was cooking on the 2012 MAK, so if you are not paying attention to your cook, all these things can happen.

Hope that answers your questions...How much is the gap on the MAK?

1)On the Memphis, there is a pretty large gap between the indirect pan and the front of the grill. The MAK does not have that. On the Memphis, when grilling something like chicken parts indirect, say at 450°, how much hotter do you find the front of the grill surface to be? Are you having to shuffle food around to promote even browning? Or can you use every square inch for grilling and get even cooking?

2) On the Memphis, the grease travels much closer to the raging fire on its way to the grease pans.

rwalters

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 09:07:18 PM »

Have a 2010 model, so maybe things have change.  About a 3/4 inch gap in the front and the back, and just like a MAK, the gap is going to be hotter then no gap. I don't cook over the gap, so I have no idea.

The guy has the pit at 500° and has chicken fat dripping on it.  There is a possibility it might start a fire if enough grease is there.  I can tell you with 100% certainty that happen when I was cooking on the 2012 MAK, so if you are not paying attention to your cook, all these things can happen.

Hope that answers your questions...How much is the gap on the MAK?

1)On the Memphis, there is a pretty large gap between the indirect pan and the front of the grill. The MAK does not have that. On the Memphis, when grilling something like chicken parts indirect, say at 450°, how much hotter do you find the front of the grill surface to be? Are you having to shuffle food around to promote even browning? Or can you use every square inch for grilling and get even cooking?

2) On the Memphis, the grease travels much closer to the raging fire on its way to the grease pans.
There is no longer a gap on the MAK. It’s been completely redesigned. Here are a couple of pics of their redesigned Funnel Flame Zone pan. There is a grease channel that surround the perimeter of the cooker with small side vents all the way around. You can place food up to the very corners of the cooking grate with nothing dripping into the belly of the cooker and you can grill with extremely even heat front to back and side to side when you have the Flame Zone covers removed.  I’ve never seen anything like it.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:12:47 PM by rwalters »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 09:12:49 PM »

And this is a perfect example of why those Performance Tests on Pelletheads are obsolete...I convince Larry that we need to up date them and he up and dies on me!

rwalters

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 09:13:33 PM »

And this is a perfect example of why those Performance Tests on Pelletheads are obsolete...I convince Larry that we need to up date them and he up and dies on me!
:(

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 09:20:08 PM »

don't you cook on that mak that it is so clean

rwalters

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 09:22:33 PM »

don't you cook on that mak that it is so clean
...before pics, it is WELL seasoned buddy. Have a tri tip on it right now. TT salad for dinner tonight. Soooo good :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up