Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flame out when dropping from 450 to 300 degrees  (Read 2899 times)

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Flame out when dropping from 450 to 300 degrees
« on: March 13, 2018, 04:53:55 PM »

If I change pit temp during a cook, it's typically to a higher temp, not lower.  With that said, in the last couple of months, I have twice found myself cooking (grilling) at 450, and then wanting to kick the temp down to 300 to cook something different that required the lower cooking temp.  Both times, I experienced a flame out.  Upon closer inspection, I found the firepot to be completely filled with unburned pellets.  It's almost as if the controller doesn't know how to properly bring the cooking chamber down in temp without suffocating the fire.

I am wondering if others (no matter the brand of pellet grill) have experienced this? 

I am going to email MAK and see what they have to say.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Flame out when dropping from 450 to 300 degrees
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 05:19:28 PM »

That has happened to me going from 200°-250° down to Smoke mode 2x in December and I blamed it on the cold temps.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

rwalters

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 05:22:52 PM »

That has happened to me going from 200°-250° down to Smoke mode 2x in December and I blamed it on the cold temps.
Interesting as that's a pretty small drop in temp.  Have you ever lost a fire on your Memphis when dropping temps?  As mentioned, it is very rare that I want to go down in temp during a cook , so it hasn't really been an issue up to this point.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 05:37:13 PM »

Interesting as that's a pretty small drop in temp.  Have you ever lost a fire on your Memphis when dropping temps?  As mentioned, it is very rare that I want to go down in temp during a cook , so it hasn't really been an issue up to this point.

Not that I can remember, but I also don't recall every taking temps down.  My Memphis problem was taking temps from a smoke range of 200-275 and moving above 350.  It would go about 50-100 degrees higher than controller setting.  They walked me through a setting change on the controller to manage that issue.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

tmb2735

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 06:08:56 PM »

I've had flame outs and some burn back in the auger tube when going down from high temps. Now I bring it down in increments and have no more problems. I bring it down to 250 before starting the shutdown cycle as well.

rwalters

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 06:15:45 PM »

I've had flame outs and some burn back in the auger tube when going down from high temps. Now I bring it down in increments and have no more problems. I bring it down to 250 before starting the shutdown cycle as well.
What brand/model of pellet cooker do you have?

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 06:43:57 PM »

Have you tried leaving the hood open to let heat escape? I’ve done this on both Traegers and GMG, but seems like I’ve always left hood open for a couple mins when dropping to speed up the change.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:36:42 PM by glitchy »
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 08:18:50 PM »

My JR has a built in 'cool down' feature the keeps the fan going to burn up any unused pellets.

When I do 420 deg pizza, I'll still dial it back slowly to about 200. Never been a problem.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

tmb2735

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 08:49:52 PM »

I had the flame outs and auger tube burn back on an old USA made Traeger. I could tell the auger tube burn back by seeing smoke come out of the pellet hopper. I currently have a Traeger Timberline 850 and kept the same process of dialing it down and opening the lid. Never had flame out or auger burn back on the Timberline. 

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 01:54:20 AM »

I've had one flame-out when dropping temps down from 400 down to smoke. I was burning off some of the previous day's cook due to not having the time to do it at the end of the cook. I think the controller starved the fire to drop the temp and caused the flame-out, then just kept piling more pellets into the pot.

I now drop the temp in 25 degree increments and haven't had any trouble.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

rwalters

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 10:18:04 AM »

Well, I spoke with MAK the other day. The current version of the controller software does not have reported flame out issues, and that is the version that I am running. With that said, I have spoken with a few other MAK owners, along with numerous other pellet grill owners, some right here on this forum. Not all, but the consensus seems to be this... any pellet grill, when cooking at a high temp and then wanting to drop the temp by a significant amount... it is best to make the change on the controller and then hold the lid open for a minute or so to quickly dump the heat from the high temp cook, allowing the pit temp to quickly come down to your new desired temp. Much less chance of losing your fire by doing this. From what I’ve gathered, this is not a brand specific issue but just the nature of pellet cookers.

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 02:35:02 AM »

Well, I spoke with MAK the other day. The current version of the controller software does not have reported flame out issues, and that is the version that I am running. With that said, I have spoken with a few other MAK owners, along with numerous other pellet grill owners, some right here on this forum. Not all, but the consensus seems to be this... any pellet grill, when cooking at a high temp and then wanting to drop the temp by a significant amount... it is best to make the change on the controller and then hold the lid open for a minute or so to quickly dump the heat from the high temp cook, allowing the pit temp to quickly come down to your new desired temp. Much less chance of losing your fire by doing this. From what I’ve gathered, this is not a brand specific issue but just the nature of pellet cookers.

Which makes a whole lot of sense, and I can live with that.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

wilpark

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 02:00:04 PM »

I am having the same issue with my GMG.  Could be the combustion not working properly. Going to get it middle of next week. See If this fixes the issue.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up