Accessories & Essentials > Knives, Sharpeners, Cutting Boards & Mats

Wicked Edge Knive Sharpening System

(1/3) > >>

Old Smokey:
I mentioned in the other knife sharpening system thread that I was thinking about going with the Wicked Edge. I'm looking at the WE 120. The basic system is $375  ??? which is expensive enough but then you have to buy or build the base for it. WE cheapest base is $65. It comes with four different grit stones but if you want to buy the finer grit stones they are $70 each. That quickly adds up.

I'm thinking the Pro Pack II system might be a better way to go but that's $675. YIKES I'm usually a buy once cry once kind of guy but I'm having a hard time justifying a $675 knife sharpener.

What say you?

Old Smokey:
I got pretty good at free hand sharpening 40 years ago but it takes a lot of time to develop the muscle memory. I just don’t want to spend that much time.

pmillen:
Smokey, I'll loan you a diamond stone KME if you want to sharpen a couple of knives with it.  It doesn't clamp  narrow blades, like fillet knives, very well and I don't have the new clamp for small blades, like for pen knives or paring knives.

It'll sharpen most knives with a flat bevel to an edge like a scalpel.

Bar-B-Lew:
You can buy a lot of knives for that price.  I am usually like you and when I have my mind set on something I usually want something that is close to the best available within a price range I can afford and am comfortable spending.  Knives and knife sharpeners just don't make that list for me.  I hope you find what you are looking for at the price you wish to spend.  I am sure that those who do take care of quality knives will help you as best they can.

Lantern:
The same thread got a bee in my bonnet as well. I am a buy once cry once person AND I typically TRY to stop myself from buying something that'll need(or I'll want) to upgrade to the point I should have bought something else.

After saying that.... I am currently saving to pick up the gen 3 pro system. I've ALWAYS been terrible at sharpening knives even though I love and use VERY good knives. I have knives that have so many different angles that the KO I use just can't quite give me the consistent sharpness I want. .................and full disclosure, I'm a bit of a gadget head.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View