Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Glitchy’s New Pro  (Read 3837 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Glitchy’s New Pro
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 10:13:56 AM »

Do you think a heat gun would speed up the process any or do you think it would make it more of a mess?

I think it being warmer would help but not sure of a heat gun...maybe a hair dryer.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 11:08:38 AM »

Let’s grease this puppy up a little:
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

glitchy

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 11:10:24 AM »

Then let’s learn the grill a little...looks pretty even to me
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Glitchy’s New Pro
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 11:10:27 AM »

That’ll do it! And look how evenly it cooked

Were any of those biscuits cooked over the edge of the drip pan? I have heard some say things cook quite a bit hotter at the very front of the grill grate where the heats rises, and I have heard others say that even at the front things still cook about the same. Would love to see biscuits at the very front.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:12:46 AM by rwalters »

glitchy

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 11:11:38 AM »

and let us not be wasteful

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 11:11:59 AM »

You will find it hotter if you place items where the drip pan does not exist.  I bet those few slices of bacon looked lost on that big grate.  Congrats on the new unit.  Looking forward to seeing your future cooks.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 11:23:50 AM »

You will find it hotter if you place items where the drip pan does not exist.  I bet those few slices of bacon looked lost on that big grate.  Congrats on the new unit.  Looking forward to seeing your future cooks.
What about at grilling temps. I have been told the heat is even when cooking over the “open space” up front, and I have been told it is not. What has your experience been (can’t remember if I have asked you this question before)?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 11:27:51 AM »

What about at grilling temps. I have been told the heat is even when cooking over the “open space” up front, and I have been told it is not. What has your experience been (can’t remember if I have asked you this question before)?

I have never measured it but it is hotter over the front.  I would suspect if the controller is at 450° it is much greater variance then if the controller is at 250°.  You can tell by the appearance of the food that it is hotter in those areas.

glitchy

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 11:29:07 AM »

When I started the bacon, 12 strips covered most of the drip pan. If laid out carefully, I probably could have gotten 14-16 on without goong past it, but I don’t think any more than that at the start. Only issue I saw doing bacon and biscuits was a few plus 45 spikes, never low though. I’m not really worried because it’s very gusty here today and there’s little seasoning on the grill yet and probably overshoot from open lid recovery.

It had already dropped 2 degrees while I was snapping the pic, so it recovered usually in about 3 mins, but I saw it do this 3 times.

glitchy

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »

I have never measured it but it is hotter over the front.  I would suspect if the controller is at 450° it is much greater variance then if the controller is at 250°.  You can tell by the appearance of the food that it is hotter in those areas.

You can tell from the bacon and biscuits that’s true. It has been for ever pellet grill I’ve ever had and I expect it as it makes sense to me where the air makes it up at first is going to be hotter, However, this grill is impressively even. FYI, the biscuits on the plate are in the layout they were on the grill.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:51:56 AM by glitchy »

old smoker

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 11:42:07 AM »

congratulations glitchy keep posting and enjoy
Jim

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 11:59:28 AM »

Welcome to the Show!

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy my 8 year old one!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 12:20:04 PM »

Welcome to the team!  I always love seeing a brand spanking new Pro out of the box.  Has been a while since mine as that clean.

A note on open flame cooking: make sure you are in Direct Flame Mode then chose LOW, MED, or MAX when using the direct flame insert.  Do not cook with the insert when you have it set at a certain temp.  Reason being when in one of the Direct Flame modes the auger runs at a set speed and it bypasses the RTD.  If you have it set at a temp the RTD will think the grill is too hot and will back down on pellet feed.  Does that make sense?

Z
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 02:23:02 PM by ZCZ »
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

glitchy

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2018, 12:21:55 PM »

Welcome to the Show!

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy my 8 year old one!

I really think I will. I have to add, watching your posts the past 2-3 years and seeing your spending habits was definitely a factor in my decision. You seem to only spend the extra when it makes a profound difference. I feel like I already see the difference, but that’s definitely an early call.

glitchy

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2018, 12:22:48 PM »

Welcome to the team!  I always love seeing a brand spanking new Pro out of the box.  Has been a while since mine as that clean.

A note on open flame cooking: make sure you are in OF-1, OF-2 or OF-3 when using the direct flame insert.  Do not cook with the insert when you have it set at a certain temp.  Reason being when in one of the Open Flame modes the auger runs at a set speed and it bypasses the RTD.  If you have it set at a temp the RTD will think the grill is too hot and will back down on pellet feed.  Does that make sense?

Z

Makes perfect sense. Thanks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up