Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Glitchy’s New Pro  (Read 3834 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Glitchy’s New Pro
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2018, 12:52:50 PM »

Hopefully, you get some good $ for the items you are selling to put back toward more meat to BBQ. ;D
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 01:00:02 PM »

Hopefully, you get some good $ for the items you are selling to put back toward more meat to BBQ. ;D

Probably more to replenish the life's savings I wiped to buy the Memphis :rotf: The meat is already in the grocery budget. You noticed that pretty quick since I had just saved my profile. Figured it was time to unpack a few boxes and hang some pictures since I plan on being here a while.

(I didn't really clear out my life savings, but did dent the emergency fund...isn't a grill upgrade an emergency situation?)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 01:01:33 PM by glitchy »
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2018, 02:29:38 PM »

Welcome to the team!  I always love seeing a brand spanking new Pro out of the box.  Has been a while since mine as that clean.

A note on open flame cooking: make sure you are in OF-1, OF-2 or OF-3 when using the direct flame insert.  Do not cook with the insert when you have it set at a certain temp.  Reason being when in one of the Open Flame modes the auger runs at a set speed and it bypasses the RTD.  If you have it set at a temp the RTD will think the grill is too hot and will back down on pellet feed.  Does that make sense?

Z

Makes perfect sense. Thanks.

I updated my previous post to say: "make sure you are in Direct Flame Mode then chose LOW, MED, or MAX when using the direct flame insert."  (I have the old controller with the OF1, OF2, OF3).  To get to Direct Flame run the temp selection up to 650, let go of the button then hit it one more time to get into one of the three DF modes.
Best way is to set the temp to 350 or so, once it gets to 350 enter one of the DF modes then open the hood.

NOTE: do not cook in DF mode with the hood closed.

The nice thing about DF (or OF mode on the old controller) is that you get to cook with the hood open.  Can cook meat to their desired internal temp then set them to the side while you finish others.

Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

glitchy

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2018, 02:52:44 PM »

I’m not a bacon freak like many, but pellet grill bacon has always been my favorite way to eat it. I try to cook bacon as the first thing on a new pit to get a little grease in it. Those stainless grates needed it for sure. Even the bacon wanted to stick.

As far as the open flame, the manual talks about heating it to 500 with the regular flavorizer, then swapping them out hot and changing the setting. Sounds like a little bit of a pain, do you all do it like that? Or just heat it up to 350-450 with the open flame flavorizer already on and then open lid and change modes?
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2018, 03:28:48 PM »

The grates shouldn't take too long to season. Just brush, wipe and if necessary oil. Once seasoned, ~ 6 cooks you'll be fine.

Direct flame: Just get the fire established. 300º would be fine*. Then swap for the direct flame insert. You can cook w/ the hood closed. Just don't leave it closed for a long time. You will find the pit temp to be low when cooking with the direct flame insert and the hood closed.. To clean off the DF insert raise the temp to max. " OF-3 ", to do a burn-off. Doesn't take long. Then brush it clean before swapping out for the EZ access insert and shutting down.

* It is nice to have a warmed up pit if you need to put food aside while flame grilling so you may want to take the temperature up before swapping the inserts.

glitchy

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2018, 08:39:24 PM »

Here’s the ribeye cook. I got as much crust as I wanted, but flipped them so many times I knocked all the seasoning off before it added much flavor. They were good, not great, but I blame the cook and not the grill.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:42:55 PM by glitchy »

glitchy

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2018, 08:48:29 PM »

The hopper has been filled to the brim with pecan and the 15 pound plus Prime brisket goes on before bed. Wish me luck, I’m hit and miss with brisket, especially packers. I’m a lot more consistent with the large flats...but at twice the price per pound went with the packer.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2018, 09:00:28 PM »

Nice work on the steaks.  Looking forward to seeing the brisket.  Are you going to make some burnt ends?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

glitchy

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2018, 09:04:20 PM »

Nice work on the steaks.  Looking forward to seeing the brisket.  Are you going to make some burnt ends?

Ive never made them before but considering it this time. This is the largest packer I’ve ever done by about 3 pounds, so it actually has a decent point to work with. The others haven’t been worth even trying.

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2018, 09:45:57 PM »

Man, those steaks look goooood! The Memphis’ searing ability is very impressive!

glitchy

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2018, 09:30:53 AM »

Having a little probe frustration this morning. Memphis says 167, Fireboard says 181, and themopop says 175...each in multiple spots consistently. I know which one I’m believing, but a little frustrating that Memphis seems that low and Fireboard is off too. Pretty sure the I ice and boil tested the Fireboard when I got it, maybe I have a bad probe and test with others. I’ll definitelay be doing that test with the Memphis probes soon.

Anyway, here’s what the brisket looks like this morning (apparently it looks better to those on the other side of the world...not sure what’s up with the flipped pic).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 03:05:34 PM by glitchy »

glitchy

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2018, 09:37:42 AM »

sschorr, give me a few mins with postings, I’m have a lot of problems with pics and have lost 10 mins of typing multiple times. So I first post my comments, then I edit and add the pics.

glitchy

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2018, 10:54:00 AM »

Holy point batman.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 03:02:02 PM by glitchy »

glitchy

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2018, 01:18:43 PM »

And decided to try this for the boss jr while the brisket is resting...gonna be a feast for lunch
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 03:01:28 PM by glitchy »

ZCZ

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2018, 02:26:54 PM »

To correct upside down or sideways pictures do this before posting: 1) go into your pictures and find the one you want to post. 2) rotate the picture 90 degrees even if it looks normal. 3) save the picture and exit the picture. 4) go back into the picture and rotate it to normal. 5) save the picture.
OK to post.
To correct a crooked picture in a post you have to delete it & repost after you have done the process above. I do the above process on my pictures I want to post & don’t have any issues. Pain in the butt but it works.
Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up