Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone try non Memphis probes on their Memphis?  (Read 601 times)

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Anyone try non Memphis probes on their Memphis?
« on: March 16, 2018, 09:10:56 AM »

Just curious if anyone has tried this. The shipped my other 2 ground yesterday, so might be a while before I see them and have a collection of probes. See any risk in trying? You surely can hurt the board with a different probe can you?
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Anyone try non Memphis probes on their Memphis?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 10:17:05 AM »

I tried some Thermoworks probes from the Smoke and they did not work so well on the MAK.  If you have an remote thermometer system, try both.  Wad up some aluminum foil and place the probe from the Memphis grill on it to hold it in place.  Set the grill to 250° if the probe will withstand those temps.  Put your remote thermometer probe next to it.  See if you find a difference.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 11:07:28 AM »

Memphis probes are 1,000 ohms @ 32º. It the jack dimensions are the same it will work.... Compared to most other probes, the Memphis is extremely robust and should last for a very long time baring misuse.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 11:10:12 AM »

I would even test the Memphis probes when you get them.  Sometimes the manufacturer probes run hotter or colder than the remote probes.  I trust the accuracy of the Thermoworks probes that I have versus the grill probes in the controller.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 11:24:31 AM »

Not to go into a long drawn out story.. There is a way to test the probe readout vs the controller..Using the probe set centre grill and comparing the two readings.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 11:30:40 AM »

Not to go into a long drawn out story.. There is a way to test the probe readout vs the controller..Using the probe set centre grill and comparing the two readings.

That is a good test, but that doesn't prove that the probe is accurately reading because the controller probe is at a different spot.  that is why I would compare the probe plugged into the controller versus a Thermoworks remote probe at the same location.  i have experienced and have read other experiences where they used the probe temp plugged into the controller and thought the food temp was where they wanted it only to find that the Thermapen was +/- 5-10 degree difference.

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 11:48:18 AM »

I have two more Memphis probes on the way. I think all my other probes are the smaller plugs so I’ll just have to wait for them. I was going to ice water test and was even considering boiling a pot of water on the grill to test accuracy.

I have a fireboard as well to fall back on, I’m just hoping the Memphis are accurate so I don’t have to drag that out each time...and I’m assuming it won’t stick via magnet to my stainless steel. If I smoke multiple things at once before the probes show, I’ll just have to use it.

Thanks for all the input though...i just didn’t realize they were all the smaller plug on my 6 other brands (I don’t get rid of old stuff well when I upgrade).
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 12:09:51 PM »

The ice water and boiling water tests for the Memphis probes are good ideas in addition to comparing to your Fireboard.  Good luck and let us know how it works out either way.  I am curious to see if those probes are spot on.

Canadian John

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 10:02:56 AM »

The joys of a new pit..As long as the temperatures are constant just cook with it, be  it high or low. Ask almost any cook about adapting to a new oven. Cooking a certain food in the old oven may have required a different setting than the new one...For sure, no

matter what  the temperature is, heat distribution in the Memphis is extremely even. :2cents:
Pages: [1]   Go Up