Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New Memphis Pro....question and some observations  (Read 4531 times)

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
New Memphis Pro....question and some observations
« on: March 20, 2018, 12:23:42 PM »

Thanks to all who helped me decide on a new pit and man did I get pointed in the right direction. I am working on a rental of mine now so don’t have a ton of time so I am just going to learn to post some pics here and I have a question. I plan on doing a very thorough review of the newest model Memphis in the near future to give back to the forum and help create some content on questions I had a hard time answering through research of info already available out there. Let’s see if we can get a few pics to post first.....Never saw one pic with the laser film on in my entire 3 months of research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Re: New Memphis Pro....question and some observations
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 12:29:32 PM »

Congrats on the new pit!
Welcome to the team!

Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 12:33:30 PM »

Great, now you've done it...I'm selling all my shares in Hearthland Products, LLC immediately 8) You obviously didn't read the laser film disclosure agreement on page 1297 of the manual.

...Glad to see you got your grill and finally are able to start assembling it, hope you love it!
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 12:37:20 PM »

Ok, looks like pics aren’t too badly sized looking on my iPhone....Look okay on PC etc sizewise?  The question I have(and I will get some pics when I get home) is about ash. I have a 20lb bag of Memphis Oak pellets and found a local supplier of Smokin Brothers pellets and picked up a 20lb bag of Hickory. I decided for the “burn off” or initial run that I would run a cheaper pellet and picked up a bag of Pit Boss competition blend. I warmed it up to 450 like the manual says then started my 45 minute timer. Once that was done I lifted the lid till it dropped to 390 just to see how recovery was and then shut it. Once it reached 450 again(didn’t take long at all) I shut it down and it went into its cool down. When it was all done I looked inside and I was shocked by the amount of ash and it was everywhere including up the front wall and on top of the flavorizer.  I am worried there would have been a lot of ash on my food had I been cooking.

I understand a couple things here....first off the grill is not seasoned at all yet. Will a seasoned grill help keep flying ash at bay that much better?  Or....is this a case of what you get with cheap pellets?  I did not read about Memphis owners complaining of sooty food coming out of their cookers so I am hoping one of these two things is the issue and that ash everywhere in a Memphis is not the norm.....?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 12:56:39 PM »

Pellets are gonna produce ash, plain and simple.  The ash is in my pro no doubt about it.  Do I see it above the drip tray?  If it is there, I don't see it, and I sure cant see it on the food.  OR, I have become so accustom to it I don't notice it...but I do not believe that is the case.  You all have seen the food that comes off my Pro.

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 01:03:26 PM »

I don't recall much if any on my food either and you saw quite a few pics in the threads to help you make your decision. 
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 01:12:28 PM »

Can’t wait to see you put this bad boy to use!!!!!

glitchy

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 02:06:32 PM »

Cook a package of bacon on it and give the ash a place to stick. All that bare metal you have nothing for it to do but float around and settle when it cools and the fan stops.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:31:23 PM by glitchy »
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 02:08:52 PM »

You will find the ash in the Pro is heavily concentrated BELOW the drip tray - very little in the cooking area. Bent is 100% right.

Laser film not posted: Why? It is about the only negative aspect of a Memphis. With so many high marks in performance and customer satisfaction, laser film is often forgotten.... It is in fact a good idea to start the story from the beginning, after removing from

the pallet, it's laser time... You'll love it!

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 02:35:10 PM »

Thank you all for the nice words!

As far as why posting the laser film.....I am a freak for the details....it is not meant to be positive or negative, just more info. I know some people could care less, I want to know everything when I am spending good money on anything.....So there is some more info for the next person that approaches major purchases like I do. 

Lew and Bentley, I know you guys posted many beautiful pics of awesome food and there never appeared to be any ash....That is why I was shocked at the amount of ash sitting on top of the drip tray and stuck to the front wall right up to the lid. It makes great sense that if I get some grease coating things in there that it would help that tremendously......but I am still curious if you guys see excessive ash out of cheaper pellets....or maybe the Pitt Boss pellets specifically?

glitchy

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 02:36:09 PM »

Laser film not posted: Why? It is about the only negative aspect of a Memphis. With so many high marks in performance and customer satisfaction, laser film is often forgotten....

I don't think I'll ever forget the laser film :( However, I'm close to forgiving them for using it or leaving it on for the consumer after cooking on mine multiple times.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 02:57:10 PM »

I need to look at mine one of these weekends as my last few cooks have been with Camp Chef cherry.  Prior to that, it was always cookinpellets perfect mix or hickory.  And, based on my experience with about 10 different types of pellets, some do leave more ash than others.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 03:16:23 PM »

Laser film not posted: Why? It is about the only negative aspect of a Memphis. With so many high marks in performance and customer satisfaction, laser film is often forgotten....

I don't think I'll ever forget the laser film :( However, I'm close to forgiving them for using it or leaving it on for the consumer after cooking on mine multiple times.

I actually consider the laser film a positive especially considering the number of these things that get shipped across the country. W/Free shipping pricing can be pretty darn competitive and if I can feel real warm and fuzzy that I can have one shipped and count on it not being damaged by time it gets to me that is a big plus. This is how it arrived....I was immediately concerned. I very carefully inspected it and there is no damage thankfully....due in large part to the tremendous engineering that went into their packaging. I know the laser film alone didn’t keep my grill from getting damaged but you could see rub marks on the film that would have been scratches on the pit if not for the film.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 04:03:50 PM »

Unless it effected performance I have never cared.  And it has not, so I just have no viable input for you.  I have never paid attention.  And I have to the best of my knowledge never used Pit Boss.

...but I am still curious if you guys see excessive ash out of cheaper pellets....or maybe the Pitt Boss pellets specifically?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

glitchy

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 05:00:01 PM »

I actually consider the laser film a positive especially considering the number of these things that get shipped across the country. W/Free shipping pricing can be pretty darn competitive and if I can feel real warm and fuzzy that I can have one shipped and count on it not being damaged by time it gets to me that is a big plus. This is how it arrived....I was immediately concerned. I very carefully inspected it and there is no damage thankfully....due in large part to the tremendous engineering that went into their packaging. I know the laser film alone didn’t keep my grill from getting damaged but you could see rub marks on the film that would have been scratches on the pit if not for the film.

I forget that sarcasm doesn’t present well on forums. I didn’t enjoy removing the film from mine, but was trying to say even though it’s a pretty sizeable pain, it’s probably worth it in the end. Your box was in horrible shape for being a pallet rider. Glad the baby inside was pristine.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up