Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New Memphis Pro....question and some observations  (Read 4532 times)

jstrand

• Using less gas.
Re: New Memphis Pro....question and some observations
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 06:50:19 PM »

I have used Pit Boss and Lumberjack. It was my experience that the Lumberjacks are more ashy then the Pit Boss.

As far as damage during shipping. I worked at UPS during December helping my nephew who does deliveries. Didn't matter if a package is marked fragile or this way up or whatever it happens to say, it gets thrown around and laid in whatever position it will fit. Now I'm actually shocked when I receive something and the box is in really good condition. I also know why my shipment of sauces ended up breaking and being a total loss at the hub we were working out of.

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 06:56:29 PM »

This is what the grease pan's looked like after initial burn last night.

Did some bacon as suggested to get some grease in her. I used the same Pit Boss pellets.

Happened to pull some pulled pork out of the freezer I did a few months ago...took some of the Bacon....and slapped them on a xxxxxx frozen pizza

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 07:01:25 PM »

Put the pizza on the pit and used my new expensive bottle opener

Pizza’s looking pretty good

First weeknight quick meal on the Pro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 07:27:44 PM »

I did not notice ash on the drip tray this time.  I could not see ash on the food. Not sure if the grease already made all the difference or what but food looked fine and tasted great. Can't wait to do a long cook!

(Grease trays after cook...did not empty ash from last nights burn in)

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 09:11:06 PM »

I love the job it does on pizza.  Crusts come out perfect.  No need for an Uni.

Looks like you are up and RUNNING!

Pictures look fine a PC.  I post everything from my iPhone too.

I use Memphis pellets and never had an ash problem.  Not sure who makes them.

Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 10:28:12 PM »

haha...you should see the ash in my aluminum pans before it gets emptied sometime as it almost overflowing.  quit being so paranoid and have fun with your grill
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
New Memphis Pro....question and some observations
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 11:13:22 PM »

Deebo- Would you mind doing a simple experiment. I would love to see the evenness across the grates at 375-400° with biscuits. I know it’s been done, but I’d like to see the biscuits lined along the very front and back of the grate as well... the part of the grate that does not have a drip pan deflecting the heat. I really want to see for myself how evenly the Memphis cooks across the entire surface. If I were ever to pull the trigger on a Memphis, that is one thing I’d have to see first. If someone buys a Pro with roughly 430 sq” on the main grate but can’t use the the grate area without the deflector, that really cuts into total cooking area.  If you are able, thank you... if not, no worries.

Also, can’t remember... is this your one and only cooker?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:15:29 PM by rwalters »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 11:20:55 PM »

Let me save him the biscuits and you the time...They will not cook evenly.  So there you go, question answered.  There is a gap, just like there used to be on the MAK when I cooked on it, and those biscuits burnt.  It will not cook the same.  So why ask folks to do something the pit cant do?  You want and answer to does the Pro OR any cooker with a gap between the combustion chamber and the grates cook the same across the surface...I can tell you with 100% accuracy it does not!

Now you don't have to worry about spending money on a Pro since that is a Major concern!  Let me know when your MAK hits 600°!   :cool:

Deebo- Would you mind doing a simple experiment. I would love to see the evenness across the grates at 375-400° with biscuits. I know it’s been done, but I’d like to see the biscuits lined along the very front and back of the grate as well... the part of the grate that does not have a drip pan deflecting the heat. I really want to see for myself how evenly the Memphis cooks across the entire surface.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:24:49 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 11:38:08 PM »

rwalters, I will put that on the list for my review. I can guarantee it cooks hotter in the upper left corner. I had to move the bacon that was there.  I have an electric smoker....I just put the gas grill on the curb for the scrap guy. I am thinking about buying a 22 or 26 Webber Kettle to play around with.

Lew, I am on my way! This analyzing, testing, learning every thing about the Pro is a good time to me.  I am very happy with it. You were right...it is built extremely well. It is just plain impressive. I am sure an Elite is really, really impressive.

Thank you Z! Definitely seems to be a great pizza oven! My kids and I will have fun with that.

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 11:42:14 PM »

Well, there ya have it. I figured as much but Bentley has plenty of experience cooking on these things. I will still have all kinds of good data to post.

rwalters

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 12:39:28 AM »

Let me save him the biscuits and you the time...They will not cook evenly.  So there you go, question answered.  There is a gap, just like there used to be on the MAK when I cooked on it, and those biscuits burnt.  It will not cook the same.  So why ask folks to do something the pit cant do?  You want and answer to does the Pro OR any cooker with a gap between the combustion chamber and the grates cook the same across the surface...I can tell you with 100% accuracy it does not!

Now you don't have to worry about spending money on a Pro since that is a Major concern!  Let me know when your MAK hits 600°!   :cool:

Deebo- Would you mind doing a simple experiment. I would love to see the evenness across the grates at 375-400° with biscuits. I know it’s been done, but I’d like to see the biscuits lined along the very front and back of the grate as well... the part of the grate that does not have a drip pan deflecting the heat. I really want to see for myself how evenly the Memphis cooks across the entire surface.
Sorry to have gotten under your skin with that question, Bentley. I know I have asked it before, and I know you have answered before. My hang up is:

1) I’ve heard different things from different Memphis owners. I’ve had more than one person tell me that the heat is pretty darn even left to right and front to back... even when cooking over the opening. They claim the way the heat deflector is engineered with a “wall” underneath, that the heat actually rises evenly.
2) I’ve never seen a biscuit test like I am hoping to see.

I love a lot about the Memphis, just trying to wrap my mind around every detail about it and it’s cooking characteristics.  I hope you don’t think I am knocking it or trying to stir up trouble with my question, because I am not.

And I know my MAK will never hit 600°... knew that when I bought it, lol.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:50:47 AM by rwalters »

rwalters

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 12:39:52 AM »

rwalters, I will put that on the list for my review. I can guarantee it cooks hotter in the upper left corner. I had to move the bacon that was there.  I have an electric smoker....I just put the gas grill on the curb for the scrap guy. I am thinking about buying a 22 or 26 Webber Kettle to play around with.

Lew, I am on my way! This analyzing, testing, learning every thing about the Pro is a good time to me.  I am very happy with it. You were right...it is built extremely well. It is just plain impressive. I am sure an Elite is really, really impressive.

Thank you Z! Definitely seems to be a great pizza oven! My kids and I will have fun with that.
Thanks, buddy!!

I have a 26” kettle and LOVE it!!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:47:24 AM by rwalters »

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 12:46:15 AM »

If you buy a kettle, bite the bullet and get the Performer with gas start. Otherwise, when you like the basic kettle, you’ll soon want to upgrade. Basically, fill a chimney full of coal, stick over the burner, run for 3-4 mins, turn off and wait 20 for chimney to do its work.

But enjoy the Memphis first!
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Deebo1133

• Using less gas.
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 06:58:57 AM »

Here is the “wall” so you can get a looksy rwalters.

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 07:42:47 AM »

To rwalters: I believe Bar-B-Lew has both a MAK and a Memphis Elite.  You could PM him for similarities and differences.  Also Trooper has a MAK and a Memphis Advantage.  It is a big decision I realize and one has to think twice before pulling the trigger.  Unfortunately there is no perfect pit out there.  Each one has its own unique capabilities and quirks.  If you end up getting a Pro, Elite or Advantage you will not be disappointed.  The Advantage has a little more rack space than the Pro as it has 4 upper racks where the Pro has 3.  Might want to look at the Advantage - tho it pretty much has the same heat deflector as the Pro, might be a little tighter in the front.  I had an Advantage but sold it and got a Pro as the Pro is a better unit in my opinion. 

Z
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:49:15 AM by ZCZ »
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up