Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New Memphis Pro....question and some observations  (Read 4534 times)

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Re: New Memphis Pro....question and some observations
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 07:57:47 AM »

Here is the “wall” so you can get a looksy rwalters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you!

rwalters

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 08:09:27 AM »

To rwalters: I believe Bar-B-Lew has both a MAK and a Memphis Elite.  You could PM him for similarities and differences.  Also Trooper has a MAK and a Memphis Advantage.  It is a big decision I realize and one has to think twice before pulling the trigger.  Unfortunately there is no perfect pit out there.  Each one has its own unique capabilities and quirks.  If you end up getting a Pro, Elite or Advantage you will not be disappointed.  The Advantage has a little more rack space than the Pro as it has 4 upper racks where the Pro has 3.  Might want to look at the Advantage - tho it pretty much has the same heat deflector as the Pro, might be a little tighter in the front.  I had an Advantage but sold it and got a Pro as the Pro is a better unit in my opinion. 

Z
Thanks, Z! Yes, I have spoken with Bar-B-Lew quite a bit. Will have to reach out to Trooper, thanks!  In my mind, Memphis has very few quirks! I am a visual person, that’s why I would love to see a well spread out biscuit test :)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 09:23:09 AM »

That drip pan looks a bit different than mine.  Maybe they have redesigned it a bit to help cooking on the edges.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 09:53:31 AM »

I thought glitchy posted a pic of a biscuit spread off his new Memphis here:  https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=2154.0

No?

I did, but I didn't really place them over the gaps...but fairly close to them. However, my teenager ate up all the biscuits thinking they were great (he even packed a couple in a bag to eat on his bus ride). If Deebo doesn't get to his test soon, I'll gladly cook up a couple packages for another test spreading them around more even further and getting the gaps too. I avoided the gaps because with all my past pellet grills there was a noticeable difference there...now I am curious to see exactly how much difference with the Pro. I've only done a couple real cooks, so still trying to learn a lot about my new pit.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

rwalters

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 10:09:41 AM »

I thought glitchy posted a pic of a biscuit spread off his new Memphis here:  https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=2154.0

No?
Hey sschorr- Yes, glitchy did the biscuit test, but as you can see, they were all directly over the heat diffuser:

And now with Bar-B-Lew stating that his older Memphis has a different diffuser design... and having been told by others with newer Memphis’ that the heat is pretty even (even over the open space), I would really like to see biscuits spread and cooked over the entire grate.  There is just something about the Memphis Elite that won’t allow me to stop thinking about it. Perhaps it’s the sheer size, as I have a large family and we also enjoy entertaining :)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 10:13:07 AM »

I am with you sschorr, it is not how I cook.  It is not at the temps I cook at (for the most part) and I am cooking big hunks of meat, not small pieces of dough.

Also, the original purpose of the biscuit test was somewhat of a rigged test by Larry.  One of the only times I thought he was not being objective in his testing.  Fast Eddy asked for the test because the PG cooked from the top down and he knew the bottoms of the biscuits would never get scorched -- just like he knew the bottoms of the biscuits would always get scorched along the edges of all other pellet pits.  A marketing ploy that benefited him -- and Larry sold his line of pits, so.....

rwalters

New Memphis Pro....question and some observations
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2018, 10:14:36 AM »

Is there a reason why folks would place food over the gaps?  I mean, even with my Camp Chef, there are gaps at the front and back of the drip pan to allow the heat/smoke from below.  In fact, I place a small water pan at the very back for some cooks where I want moisture - it also seems to help with controlling temp swings.  But cooking food over the gaps isn't something I would think I'd do on purpose.
Great question! I mentioned in another thread somewhere that I used to cook on a Traeger (years ago)... and yes, things were cooked much faster over the gap. Has Memphis figured out a way to minimize the temp difference?? I wanna know!  The reason I would cook over the gap goes back to having a large family and entertaining. I often load my cooking surface down when grilling for gatherings, or grilling entire meals for my family. Quite often, every square inch is needed.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:16:30 AM by rwalters »

rwalters

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 10:15:39 AM »

Heck then, you shoulda got a MAK 3 Star!   :P :P
Don’t think I didn’t consider... but on a cart that sucker is around $9k

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 10:18:30 AM »

Is there a reason why folks would place food over the gaps?  I mean, even with my Camp Chef, there are gaps at the front and back of the drip pan to allow the heat/smoke from below.  In fact, I place a small water pan at the very back for some cooks where I want moisture - it also seems to help with controlling temp swings.  But cooking food over the gaps isn't something I would think I'd do on purpose.
Great question! I mentioned in another thread somewhere that I used to cook on a Traeger (years ago)... and yes, things were cooked much faster over the gap. Has Memphis figured out a way to minimize the temp difference?? I wanna know!  The reason I would cook over the gap goes back to having a large family and entertaining. I often load my cooking surface down when grilling for gatherings, or grilling entire meals for my family. Quite often, every square inch is needed.

And you have no issues with the gap in the MAK?

rwalters

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 10:22:27 AM »

And you have no issues with the gap in the MAK?
MAK no longer has a gap. There are small vented openings, but not a wide open gap. The heat is very even front to back. There’s just times that I could really use a larger cooking surface.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2018, 10:35:07 AM »

Why not just get a second MAK?  That would give you enough room wouldn't it?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2018, 10:38:25 AM »

Even my older style MAK doesn't have a gap.  Unfortunately, I do not have a pic of the Memphis guts and I am out of town right now.

MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

rwalters

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2018, 10:50:35 AM »

Why not just get a second MAK?  That would give you enough room wouldn't it?
Assuming I had the room for a 2nd, that would do the trick...lol.  We moved last year, and as a result my cooking area shrunk.  I had 5 different cookers at the time and had to sell 3 of them.  I no longer have the room to let my cooking arsenal grow out of control... which according to my wife is a good thing  ::)

To be honest, I am kind of enjoying the simplicity of fewer cookers.  I love my MAK... all I am saying is there are times that I need a bit more grilling space.  My other cooker is a 26.75" Weber kettle.  Between the MAK and Weber, I can cook a mess of food!  Most of the time, I prefer to operate one cooker at a time, and that is where things can get a bit tight.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2018, 10:58:36 AM »

Now you have me curious rwalters, what are you cooking at 400 degrees on the very edges of your MAK?

rwalters

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2018, 11:08:44 AM »

Now you have me curious rwalters, what are you cooking at 400 degrees on the very edges of your MAK?
Almost all of my grilling.  When cooking for a large family (9 of us at home) and occasional entertaining, I more often than not use every square inch of cooking real estate.  Chicken parts, burgers, steak, sausage, etc.  Even bacon, that I typically cook at 325... I completely fill the top and bottom grate when we have others over.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up