Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Ross77 on 07 Apr 2018
  • Not sure if this means anything but I recently bought a bag of Pit Boss Hickory and decided to compare the color to Lumberjack 100% hickory and some premium hardwood heating pellets.

I was kind of shocked at how light in color the Pit Boss pellets were. I know it’s a blend but the difference in color from Lumberjack is striking.
  • #2 by Darwin on 07 Apr 2018
  • I have noticed different colours from different manufacturers also.  Lumberjack includes the bark of the primary species of tree/wood.  Not sure about the others.  That may be the reason for the difference.
  • #3 by Bentley on 07 Apr 2018
  • Does the pressure as it is being extruded through the die have anything to do with the color?
  • #4 by chris becker on 08 Apr 2018
  • Hi all, for what it's worth the wood itself has a large part of its color. Some years the gamrain is tight some years the grain is loose. Making pellets also has a bunch to do with color. Newer dies make it easier to press and older dies make for a hotter die during production so it almost toasts the wood a tad darker. Sometimes we make our 100% hickory that is light in color and sometimes we make our 100% Hickory and it turns out darker! We never use bark, in our opinion bark burns quicker and leaves more ash. Honestly, color means nothing. We've seen the same dark and light in our new sweet maple. Taste no difference!
     Remember, wood is grown and NOT manufactured! Nature is NOT an exact science! Hope this helps.
    Smoke On
    Chris
  • #5 by Goosehunter51 on 08 Apr 2018
  • Thank you for the education Chris.  Always learning something new on here.
  • #6 by Ross77 on 08 Apr 2018
  • Good info, thanks Chris.

According to Pit Boss their Hickory pellets are 60% maple and 40% hickory.  A little misleading to just label the bag as hickory.
  • #7 by Kristin Meredith on 08 Apr 2018
  • Thanks Chris, always great when a manufacturer will take the time to provide information.
  • #8 by chris becker on 08 Apr 2018
  • My pleasure!
    Smoke On
    Chris
  • #9 by smokin soon on 08 Apr 2018
  • What gives some of them a shiny surface that others do not?
  • #10 by chris becker on 09 Apr 2018
  • smokin soon,
    That shiny surface is the Lignin that is is all wood. It releases out of the wood at high pressure and heat and is the pellets natural binder. When pushed through the finished side (cooler side) of the die in production the lignin solidifies and is what you see on the surface. All pellets have it. some or just more handled and dull the finish.
    Smoke On
    Chris
  • #11 by Michael_NW on 10 Apr 2018
  • Thank you, chris; love learning new things.
  • #12 by ScottWood on 10 Apr 2018
  • Thanks Chris.  This is been a very informative thread.
Pages:
Actions