Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Memphis Pro Pellet Consumption  (Read 1689 times)

Woody

• Using less gas.
Memphis Pro Pellet Consumption
« on: April 18, 2018, 02:45:43 PM »

Hi all.  I'm a new member and I've learned a lot on this forum.  After doing a ton of research I decided to get a Memphis Pro.  She's a beauty but I'm wondering what others experience with pellet consumption.  This last Sunday I did a 13lb Prime brisket which has been my best yet, but I used about 2lbs/hr of RecTec pellets which are mostly oak.  That was only the third time using the smoker so it's just developing the right seasoning.  My environment was in my garage with 35 degree Michigan temperatures.  Eric at Memphis tells me that I'm within normal range but it seems a little high to me so I thought I'd ask fellow owners.  Please chime in if you want to.

I've bought Lumberjack and Smokering pellets to experiment with next.  All 100% bags of oak, hickory, and cherry.

By the way, I roll my Memphis from my garage to pavers to deck.  I'm looking into putting larger tires on it to ease that process but the originals are attached with a small footprint bracket and it may not be easy.  If any of you have done this, please let me know.  Thank you

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Memphis Pro Pellet Consumption
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 03:08:02 PM »

Can't tell you my Pro's consumption .  It is less than my Traeger by a bunch.  Any pellet pit will consume more at higher temperatures..I can smoke 225º ish for a few hours and use about a quart of pellets. Get up in temps and the pellet consumption

accelerates - you can hear them rattling down the chute...  You didn't state cooking temperature and duration.

Bentley has competition wheels on his Pro, he may chime in..Others have gone from casters to wheels as well.I just don't recall who they were.

You have a fine pit there. Enjoy it!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 03:12:51 PM »

If that is normal, the new units burn a lot more then mine does...Maybe 2lbs/hr on 550°!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 03:22:21 PM »

Yeah, I think I am at about 1#/hr at 250 degree set temp.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 03:59:47 PM »

At 250°, I may burn 3/4 of a pound, but that is probably a high est.!  But the Elite did start to burn more at the higher ends then the Pro or Advantage!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 04:07:42 PM by Bentley »

Woody

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 07:32:49 PM »

Thanks all.  My temp was set at 275 for about 11 hours.  My math said that I burned about 2lbs/hr.  I accept that but it seems high.  I'll do more cooks with different pellets and see what happens.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »

Were you opening the lid frequently to mop or anything like that?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 12:27:25 PM »

So by your est., you went through 22 lbs?  I am assuming they are still 16lb hoppers?  You had to fill it with 6 more pounds before the cook was finished?

As I said, maybe the new models burn more.  I probably could have gone 20 hours at 275° with my Pro...

My temp was set at 275 for about 11 hours.  My math said that I burned about 2lbs/hr.

Woody

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 09:32:22 PM »

I topped the 16lb hoppers off after about 7 hours at 275 in 35 degree weather.  At that time the pellets were down into the lower half of the funnels and I estimate that I burned through 1/3 of the full hoppers in the next 3.5 hours.  I'm making guesses and this was my first real cook so there are many variables including my own possible mistakes, the pellets, new condition of the smoker, and others.  Regardless, I'm pretty sure that I used up about 2lbs/hr.

I'll try to do more accurate usage estimates with a scale and timed smokes in the next few weeks.

Canadian John

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 09:39:36 AM »

TIRES: No one has responded to Woody's request about tires.  He wants to make moving his pit easier to and from his garage.

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 10:40:44 AM »

You have a few options for making it roll easier. Looking at the pictures online of the Memphis Pro, it appears the unit comes with plate casters. The easiest solution would be finding the largest casters that has the same size mounting plate, or at least the same bolt pattern for the mounting plate. A slightly more complicated solution would be to mount a frame where the casters are now that extends further out under the shelves at each end and installing larger rubber tires to the new frame piece. Both, the tires and the casters, can be sourced from a place like McMaster-Carr. The frame for the tires would have to be custom fabricated though. The last option I can think of is dollies with large casters. The largest McMaster-Carr has are 3" so this may not be much help over what you already have.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Canadian John

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 09:31:25 AM »

Thanks to those who responded.

There may be an other options: One would be to have a frame work fabricated with wheels that the Pro sits on. The other would be to make the pathway, garage to patio, easier to traverse. IE: ramps or boards laid down over uneven ground.   :2cents:

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 03:38:02 PM »

My Pro is 16, but it is 8 years old, so maybe the news ones hold more.

As far as wheels, you either need to shell out the money for the competition or fabricate something from scratch, there is no middle ground!

Woody

• Using less gas.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 09:12:56 PM »

Thanks to all of you for putting effort into my questions.  My hopper is the new current style and holds 18 lbs, not the 16 that i wrongly suggested.  I continue to use the Memphis and have tried cooking several things including Costco sliced skinless pork belly which I talk about in the pork recipe section.  I wish I could do something great with these dang bellies that Costco waives under my nose every time I'm there.  Anyway...

I've used the grill about 6 times and all cooks have been above 275 degrees.  The ambient temps in my area have been 35 to 60 and I swear that I'm burning 2lbs/hr of these oak RecTec pellets.  The grill is working fine, no smoke is leaking badly, and the temps are correct in the grill so it is what it is.  I'll experiment more with other brands of pellets and try to do a more scientific study with a scale.  So far I have only guessed at this consumption rate.

As far as the wheels, I see the $400 competition setup and it's not worth that much to me but I appreciate the problem solving.  Rigging up a decent looking new bottom with larger wheels wouldn't be that tough.  The existing castors use an uncommon mounting plate which appears to be triangular and riveted in.  If I go to the effort of changing it I'll post it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 07:02:55 AM by Woody »

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 09:24:00 AM »

When you are ready to check the consumption rate for real, after you have it running at temp and had a couple oscillations above and below the set temp, fill the pellet bin to the top. Then run it for some period of time. Measure the amount of pellets it requires to fill it back up. That is the best way I have found.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up