Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Does any woodfired smoke flavor come through on pizza at 500+ degrees?  (Read 2976 times)

Woody

• Using less gas.

I'm wanting to try pizza on my Pro with my Superpeel, but I'm wondering if any smoke flavor gets to the pizza at those high temps? 

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog

it does if you cook a pizza from sams club at 350
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Woody

• Using less gas.

Does it help if you cook at 500+ and use a tube smoker?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog

Does it help if you cook at 500+ and use a tube smoker?

as previously said, too short of cook time to impact.

you could try the tube smoker with the pizza for 30 minutes before cooking the pizza and then 500 grill to finish
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Woody

• Using less gas.

I'm wanting to cook the pizza on the Memphis but it seems that my indoor convection oven would do as good of a job. 

Thanks for your input.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog

I'm wanting to cook the pizza on the Memphis but it seems that my indoor convection oven would do as good of a job. 

Thanks for your input.

I think the pizza on your memphis will be better than your oven.  What do you have to lose to give it a try?  Its not like your out hundreds of dollars to make a pizza on your grill and find out you didnt like it.

Woody

• Using less gas.

I'll give it a go and post my findings.  Great pics, thanks Gents.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John

A word of warning re high heat pizza/cooking. If the pit isn't clean, there will be a high heat burn-off going on during the cook that will impart a certain taste to the food.... I do my pizzas @ 650º in the Pro and enjoy the taste. There is always smoke burning

wood..  Just give it a try and see how it goes, making sure the pit doesn't have any nasties to burn off in the process.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.

I used a smoke tube to add smoke to a pizza I cooked at 550F for 8 minutes in my Memphis. The good news is that it work and added plenty of smoke flavor. The bad news is that it added smoke flavor to the pizza - some things are just not better with smoke flavor added. I think the real subtle difference you get in flavor by cooking on a pellet grill vs in a oven are plenty - no extra smoke is needed.

ZCZ

I have never made pizza from scratch but it seems to me when I cook frozen or Papa Murphy pizzas on my Pro the crust comes out so much better than that cooked in my kitchen oven.
Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

sharpstick

• Using less gas.
Re: Does any woodfired smoke flavor come through on pizza at 500+ degrees?
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 12:44:41 PM »

Gtsum2, would you mind posting the recipe for your crust? It looks fantastic. I am looking for a good pizza dough to try.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
SS
Have a Grillin Good Day!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 02:14:23 PM »

Curious...do you all think that most of the early pizzerias in the US that used wood and coal ever thought they added anything more then heat?   Would love to be able to go back to 1905 and ask!  Would be neat to beable to go back and say, I can hook up a gas flame in your oven and you can use it and see which they would pick?  No mess, no fuss, or did they really feel the coal heat added something!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:16:52 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Woody

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 09:24:34 PM »

I cooked a cheap Kroger brand frozen pizza at 400 just to get a baseline to set my expectations.  It was nothing special. 

I'm always wondering what makes the woodfired pizzas so good and to me it's a combination of 1) the perfect crust which Gtsum2 clearly has figured out,...and 2) the heat from above adds that perfect char to everything on top.

Next time I'll up my temp and let steel sit in the upper shelves and heat at 600 for 45 minutes, then try cooking the pie under that. 

ZCZ

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 10:05:56 PM »

Might be worth a try but I would be careful about adding things inside the grill that might hamper normal air flow & convection. Post some pictures. Be sure you do not block off the RTD.
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 10:21:26 PM »

Make sure you have the grease empty and no grease on the drip pan or that pizza will be on fire
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up