Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does any woodfired smoke flavor come through on pizza at 500+ degrees?  (Read 2977 times)

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Does any woodfired smoke flavor come through on pizza at 500+ degrees?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 12:27:24 AM »

Gtsum2, would you mind posting the recipe for your crust? It looks fantastic. I am looking for a good pizza dough to try.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
SS

+1
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

tewharaunz

• Using less gas.
  • Charteris Bay, NZ
Re: Does any woodfired smoke flavor come through on pizza at 500+ degrees?
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 11:41:15 PM »

I have a Lil Tex with a GMG Pizza oven attachment and while you can't really taste the smoke, it definitely has an outdoor/wood-fired taste.

I run it on High and close the lid between pizzas. This gets the GMG pizza stone to max heat.

The "fast and hot" method is super quick (2 to 3 minutes) and works best with sparse toppings. 
Traeger Pro 22 Traeger Lil Tex w/ GMG Pizza oven insert GMG Davy Crocket

Woody

• Using less gas.

I've experimented a few times lately with pizza making and I've definately learned that at temps above 450, my biggest threat is bad smoke ruining the pie.  I've screwed that up on the pellet grill and in the oven.  In the oven, I've founds that when I place the pizza onto a hot stone, I need to take care to not let toppings or anything fall off during that hasty process or the smoke it makes ruins the pizza and stinks up the whole house.

Just writing this to clue others in who might make the same mistake.

I'm also working on making a good dough for my taste.  My hometown pizza was a chain called Pizza King in Indiana.  Their crust is thin and somewhat crispy with a bit of chew.  It's been difficult to copy the right style because I'm not even sure what it would be called.  I'm really impressed by gtbum2's dough but it's not what I'm looking for on this project.  It's fun experimenting though.

bregent

I've experimented a few times lately with pizza making and I've definately learned that at temps above 450, my biggest threat is bad smoke ruining the pie.  I've screwed that up on the pellet grill and in the oven.  In the oven, I've founds that when I place the pizza onto a hot stone, I need to take care to not let toppings or anything fall off during that hasty process or the smoke it makes ruins the pizza and stinks up the whole house.

Just writing this to clue others in who might make the same mistake.

I'm also working on making a good dough for my taste.  My hometown pizza was a chain called Pizza King in Indiana.  Their crust is thin and somewhat crispy with a bit of chew.  It's been difficult to copy the right style because I'm not even sure what it would be called.  I'm really impressed by gtbum2's dough but it's not what I'm looking for on this project.  It's fun experimenting though.

If it's from a pizza chain, there's a good chance somebody over at PMDC forum know's what style it is and can help you replicate it.

Woody

• Using less gas.

I'll look into that.  Thanks

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan

So, this formulation is really that easy to work with?    Usually when I go much about 60% Hydration, I find the dough so sticky that it's hard to work with.    Of course, I usually had been adding oil along with water, and recently learned that you pretty much have to include the oil as part of the hydration too, so my 60% hydration might actually be 1 or 2% higher due to oil.  Even so, at this point it just sort of blows my mind how a dough with 70% hydration could be easy to work with.

I'd probably shock you if I told you that a formulation that I had used last year , was roughly 55% hydration and the way it was opened was right straight out of the refrigerator. ( got this formulation and method from a guy who's family has been in the pizza business for nearly 50 years, currently still in business somewhere in New Jersey.     Of course he tells me 550F is the perfect temperature for pizza, that is where their ovens remain...

I'm still shocked at how many different ways there are to make a crust and how the methods/procedures used to make the dough are probably as critical as the actual amounts of ingredients used.

Dough recipe and work flow from “The elements of pizza” from Ken forkish. Developed for a home oven, so works quite well for 5-6 minute bakes at 550-600 degrees (neo pies without a blackstone or pizza oven)

70% HR (need that high so it doesn’t turn to cracker crust at those bake times)
2.6% sea salt
.3% IDY
500g 00 flour

This will make 3 pies. If you start at 7pm Friday night....Put 90-95 degree water in and add salt and swish around. Add IDY let hydrate a minute and swish around. Add flour and mix until dough is 80 degrees (1-2 minutes usually)

Cover and sit for 20 minutes. Take out and knead a few times and put in lightly oiled bowl covered for 2 hours at room temp.

Take out and ball folding back into itself and put on plate covered tightly with food wrap and into fridge. Take out 90-120 minutes before cooking Friday night or Saturday night. (It’s a 24-48 hour cold ferment dough)

Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640 - sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up