Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blackstone 28  (Read 3286 times)

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Blackstone 28
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 03:26:02 PM »

It is adjustable with the typical dials like a cheaper gas grill. No 'temp' markings, but about 90 degrees of adjustment with 4 or 5 hash marks as far as knob movement wise. It also has a regulator, but didn't notice that being adjustable.

However, this is where learning your 'grill' comes into play. Since it's mixing an adjustable flame with with a thick cold rolled steel top, I'm still learning what position is close to what temp and then what affect the wind and ambient temp will have in the equation. I didn't take notes, but I distinctly remember looking at 290's on 'low' in the left side of the cook zone to just over 500 on high in the very center rear. I'm not sure how close it was to peak temp because I turned down pretty quick since I was shooting for 350-400 or so at the time.

Right now, I'm calling the cook zone the back 2/3-3/4 of the surface, I think the front 1/4 is going to be the holding/warming zone at this point.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 04:57:09 PM »

I have the 36" and can concur that wind is a killer. I have been meaning to get some sheet metal and improvise a wind guard for years but haven't found my round to it. I have had times with all four burners on high and can't get hamburgers to sizzle because the wind is just robbing all the heat.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 11:01:52 AM »

I was just curious what temps were on low & high, if there was a discernable difference.  And how even they were across the surface on those settings!  Your comments pretty much answer that.

We have a Member who is doing a review of the smaller unit.  Not to let the cat out of the bag or steal his thunder, but he was having issues with low temperatures. 

I didn't take notes, but I distinctly remember looking at 290's on 'low' in the left side of the cook zone to just over 500 on high in the very center rear. I'm not sure how close it was to peak temp because I turned down pretty quick since I was shooting for 350-400 or so at the time.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 11:50:40 AM »

I want to gather more accurate data for my own knowledge on that, when I get the time to do it (busy time of year with kiddos), I'll post it up. I want to know how to cook better on it, so I want to know both low and high values across the grid after giving it time to stabilize. Not any attempt to upstage anyone, just want to share the knowledge since the interest in these griddles seems fairly high.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 03:08:20 PM »

The Big A has the 36in for $210 on Prime Day sale right now for those looking for one of these.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2018, 11:07:37 AM »

This is the "old" style.  The new design has a hole in the center of the back of the griddle and the drip tray hangs off the back. Supposedly this fixes the issue of grease dripping down the front leg.

Is that true for just the 28?  I've been seeing the 36 in several stores.  They have the front grease channel with a bead welded just to the left of the drip hole.  I thought that the bead must be their remedy for the problem.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 11:45:36 AM »

This is the "old" style.  The new design has a hole in the center of the back of the griddle and the drip tray hangs off the back. Supposedly this fixes the issue of grease dripping down the front leg.

Is that true for just the 28?  I've been seeing the 36 in several stores.  They have the front grease channel with a bead welded just to the left of the drip hole.  I thought that the bead must be their remedy for the problem.

The new 28 and 36 inch Blackstone both have the rear grease drain.

Any I have seen in stores by me are the old style, same as the 36 inch that I have.

The bead helps but doesn't stop all of the drips.
FE PG 1000

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 09:08:34 AM »

This is the "old" style.  The new design has a hole in the center of the back of the griddle and the drip tray hangs off the back. Supposedly this fixes the issue of grease dripping down the front leg.  For the style you have, many folks form an "L" shaped stiff wire that they hang in the grease channel down into the grease tray.  the grease follows the wire into the tray.

Figures that I drew the old just buying last week :( Mine does not have a hole either to hang a wire through into the catch pan.

Amazon has a grease slide attachment for it. Looks like it would work well. Why not just drill a hole in the trough and go with the tried and true wire in the hole..Easier to clean too.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Grease-Griddle-Blackstone-locking/dp/B078S2BW9N/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YC8NN0SE1V9EYJ4T8Y46

I see sschor beat me to it.

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 10:53:20 AM »

Just now seeing this, we use the heck out of the 17" one.
I tried the fixes to no avail, ours runs hot but man it makes great "griddle foods", hash browns and breakfast chow are right up there with a good ole greasy spoon. YUM.
Just have to watch it, at least ours anyway. I'm definitely buying 2 more 17" for flexibility cooking different things.
We grilled pineapple slices for our granddaughters birthday as well as toasted coconut for the ice cream, it worked perfectly.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 11:21:07 AM by yorkdude »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up