Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hot flavored smoked pistachios  (Read 1424 times)

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
Hot flavored smoked pistachios
« on: May 27, 2018, 01:21:33 PM »

I make this a few times a year.  I buy 'stacios in 1.5 lb bags when on sale.  This time I did 6 lbs, got 18 cups of hot salty fire!

Spices:

6 tbs butter
6 tbs worshi sauce
7 tbs kosher salt
1 tbs + 1 tsp standard ghost pepper hot sauce, brand doesn't matter
5 tbs Smitties (a hot powder sauce I buy from Mad Hunky, it's about a 5 for heat)
3 tbs vinegar hot sauce (1/2 lg bottle Tabasco with 1/2 bottle of the vinegar hot sauce with the little yellow peppers, it's got a nice kick)
16 tbs green Tobasco
1/2 tsp death dust (yep, powder made from the hottest peppers on the planet, about 50 on a scale of 1-10 :'()

I lay the frog mats in my Yoder YS640 on both shelves and spread out the stacios, I can't really get any more than the 6 lbs in there. 
Smoke using Lumberjack MHC at 150 (lowest temp) for an hour, then bump to 200 for an hour.
Pour in a big bowl and put a fan on them and dry and mix for 3-4 hours.  Leave in bowl overnight, then bag them up! 

They are a great treat for xmas packages etc.   
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Hot flavored smoked pistachios
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 02:56:32 PM »

is death dust habanero or carolina reaper?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 05:28:45 PM »

I'm sure it's the hottest one in 2016.  It's uber hot.  It's the funny ugly ones with the bumps. Reaper or whatever the hottest in 2016.  A teeny bit on the wetted finger into your mouth is, well, an experience.  A friend had 3 bushes full, he dried then ground outside, fan blowing the fumes away, wearing a mask, goggles and a face shield.  And still he got bit bad.  I got 3 oz, and only have about 1/4 or less left.

It's the pure flame of xxxx :D
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 05:31:11 PM »

Yeah, the Carolina Reaper is a killer.  I've stopped at the Scorpion pepper.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1]   Go Up