Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Grilla Grill  (Read 9549 times)

GatorDave

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Grilla Grill
« on: June 03, 2018, 06:38:56 PM »

Does anyone here know anything about the Grilla Grill?  I'm kind of intrigued by it.  It has a lot of the features that I'm looking for at a great price.  It's kind of ugly, but that is neither here nor there.

texasbrew

• Using less gas.
  • Atascocita, Tx
Re: Grilla Grill
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:59:29 AM »

I was looking at the Grilla as well (to add additional cooking capacity).  It is roughly the same diameter as the Weber Kettle (22") but taller.  It seems to be a well built cooker but size didn't work for me.  I am actually considering their other offering (the Silverbac).

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 11:02:18 AM »

I think that a member, heffneil, has one.  You may have to PM him to make him aware of your interest in the Grilla line.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

GatorDave

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 11:18:54 AM »

I was looking at the Grilla as well (to add additional cooking capacity).  It is roughly the same diameter as the Weber Kettle (22") but taller.  It seems to be a well built cooker but size didn't work for me.  I am actually considering their other offering (the Silverbac).

There really isn't that much difference in size from the Silverbac to the Grilla.  I watched a video where they put the grate from the Grilla into the silverbac and it wasn't as big a difference as you would expect.  Definitely a difference, but smaller than I expected.  I like the fact that with the round construction, temps will be more even around the whole cook surface, also I like that the pellets drop into the firepot from above rather than coming in through the burn pot.  I feel that is a much safer route.  The only thing I don't like about it is that I think it's kind of ugly.

Oh and another question for you guys.  Is their statement that their programming of higher temp swings produces more smoke a true statement, or just good marketing to cover up the fact that they have wider temp swings.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 12:01:25 PM »

Oh and another question for you guys.  Is their statement that their programming of higher temp swings produces more smoke a true statement, or just good marketing to cover up the fact that they have wider temp swings.

It’s true.  If you designed a pellet delivery system to periodically deliver one or two pellets to precisely hold a temperature, you wouldn’t get much smoke.  But if you let the temperature fall a bit below the setting and then delivered a lot of pellets, they would smolder more and make a lot more smoke before burning.

Then, when they finally burned, they would overshoot the setting and the delivery system would wait until the temperature fell before delivering another pile of pellets.  During that waiting period it would probably have to drop a few pellets once in a while to keep the fire going.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

GatorDave

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 01:03:39 PM »

It’s true.  If you designed a pellet delivery system to periodically deliver one or two pellets to precisely hold a temperature, you wouldn’t get much smoke.  But if you let the temperature fall a bit below the setting and then delivered a lot of pellets, they would smolder more and make a lot more smoke before burning.

Then, when they finally burned, they would overshoot the setting and the delivery system would wait until the temperature fell before delivering another pile of pellets.  During that waiting period it would probably have to drop a few pellets once in a while to keep the fire going.

Well, that's another point in their favor.  I like the sound of that.  This whole pellet grill decision has been so hard.  Grrr.

southern_leo

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 03:23:22 AM »

I've also looked at them. I think they are good lookin grills personally. I wish more companies besides CC offered a sear box.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Plant175

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 11:03:54 PM »

I’m surprised we don’t hear more about these. I’m interested in one but not much feedback.

southern_leo

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 03:05:58 AM »

I've also considered them. I emailed the company concerning any smoke enhancing setting i.e. low smoke and high equivalent. The response I got was they do not do a smoke setting but they program In "swings" to cause more smoke. This supposedly causes more smoke than PID controllers that hold close temps. I was very interested in Grilla Grills until I read Amazon reviews. Most of the negative reviews are recent (2018). One concerned a fire hazard where a guys burn pot caught fire. I plan on doing some over night low and slow cooking and honestly this was a concern. Also it sounds like their great customer service basically left the guy hanging. I generally weigh more positive than negative reviews but fire hazards are HUGE concerns. This sucks because the Silverbac is probably in my top 3 grills I'm debating on! I'm currently strongly leaning towards the rec tec 700. Id rather spend a few hundred more for a grill I know will last and has outstanding reviews across the board. If I knew the grilla was solid I may consider otherwise. As of now i cant find a reason to not buy rec tec other than the price. And if I plan to have this grill for many many years then spending 1200 now is cheaper than spending 700 now then having to buy another in 3-5 years. Buy once cry once seems to apply to grills from what my research is finding.

GatorDave

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 05:11:38 AM »

I've also considered them. I emailed the company concerning any smoke enhancing setting i.e. low smoke and high equivalent. The response I got was they do not do a smoke setting but they program In "swings" to cause more smoke. This supposedly causes more smoke than PID controllers that hold close temps. I was very interested in Grilla Grills until I read Amazon reviews. Most of the negative reviews are recent (2018). One concerned a fire hazard where a guys burn pot caught fire. I plan on doing some over night low and slow cooking and honestly this was a concern. Also it sounds like their great customer service basically left the guy hanging. I generally weigh more positive than negative reviews but fire hazards are HUGE concerns. This sucks because the Silverbac is probably in my top 3 grills I'm debating on! I'm currently strongly leaning towards the rec tec 700. Id rather spend a few hundred more for a grill I know will last and has outstanding reviews across the board. If I knew the grilla was solid I may consider otherwise. As of now i cant find a reason to not buy rec tec other than the price. And if I plan to have this grill for many many years then spending 1200 now is cheaper than spending 700 now then having to buy another in 3-5 years. Buy once cry once seems to apply to grills from what my research is finding.

Fires can happen on any brand of smoker.  They are rare, but they happen.  One of the things that was top of my list for a smoker is to have a firebox that the pellets drop into from above rather than enter through the firepot.  This is a much safer configuration in my opinion.  The original grilla had this, which is why it was on my list.  I bought a different pit though, and time will tell whether or not it was the right choice.  Definitely do your research and you will make the right choice for you.

GatorDave

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 04:45:39 PM »

Where did you find Amazon reviews of them?  I tried to find them, but there are no Grillas on Amazon.

southern_leo

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 05:17:13 PM »

Where did you find Amazon reviews of them?  I tried to find them, but there are no Grillas on Amazon.
They don't sell them in Amazon but used to apparently. To find old Amazon ads just go to Google and type "grilla grill amazon" it will come up and you can still read the reviews

Plant175

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 10:24:52 PM »

I looked at their Facebook reviews which most were good.

Smeauxkin

• Using less gas.
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 11:10:51 PM »

I came reeeeeeaaal close to buying the Silverbac but ended up with the RT-590.  Rec Tec's reputation is what pushed me over. The Wi-pellet is nifty as well. I doubt you can go wrong with either. Also, my 8 year old daughter liked the horns and I trust her judgment.

cajunrph

• Lurker
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 11:41:20 AM »

There really isn't that much difference in size from the Silverbac to the Grilla.  I watched a video where they put the grate from the Grilla into the silverbac and it wasn't as big a difference as you would expect.  Definitely a difference, but smaller than I expected.  I like the fact that with the round construction, temps will be more even around the whole cook surface, also I like that the pellets drop into the firepot from above rather than coming in through the burn pot.  I feel that is a much safer route.  The only thing I don't like about it is that I think it's kind of ugly.

Just shy of 250 more sq inches on the Silverbac with the extra grill grates and the Grilla with it's extra grill grate.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up