Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by wyd on 01 Aug 2018
  • I've also considered them. I emailed the company concerning any smoke enhancing setting i.e. low smoke and high equivalent. The response I got was they do not do a smoke setting but they program In "swings" to cause more smoke. This supposedly causes more smoke than PID controllers that hold close temps. I was very interested in Grilla Grills until I read Amazon reviews. Most of the negative reviews are recent (2018). One concerned a fire hazard where a guys burn pot caught fire. I plan on doing some over night low and slow cooking and honestly this was a concern. Also it sounds like their great customer service basically left the guy hanging. I generally weigh more positive than negative reviews but fire hazards are HUGE concerns. This sucks because the Silverbac is probably in my top 3 grills I'm debating on! I'm currently strongly leaning towards the rec tec 700. Id rather spend a few hundred more for a grill I know will last and has outstanding reviews across the board. If I knew the grilla was solid I may consider otherwise. As of now i cant find a reason to not buy rec tec other than the price. And if I plan to have this grill for many many years then spending 1200 now is cheaper than spending 700 now then having to buy another in 3-5 years. Buy once cry once seems to apply to grills from what my research is finding.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Fires can happen on any brand of smoker.  They are rare, but they happen.  One of the things that was top of my list for a smoker is to have a firebox that the pellets drop into from above rather than enter through the firepot.  This is a much safer configuration in my opinion.  The original grilla had this, which is why it was on my list.  I bought a different pit though, and time will tell whether or not it was the right choice.  Definitely do your research and you will make the right choice for you.
    One of the reasons I bought my Louisiana LG900 was the fact that the pellets dropped into the fire pot.  I didn't sell the Grilla Grills at the time I was looking for pellet grills 2 years ago.  If I was buying now I do love the feature of the pellets dropping but I really think the price point of the Grilla Grills Silver Bac is a great deal and I might pull the trigger on one of those if I didn't have my LG900.  From reading it does seem like Grilla Grills has lots of good reviews overall.  Good luck with your search.  Very tough to pic out which grill to go with.
  • #17 by GatorDave on 01 Aug 2018
  • I've also considered them. I emailed the company concerning any smoke enhancing setting i.e. low smoke and high equivalent. The response I got was they do not do a smoke setting but they program In "swings" to cause more smoke. This supposedly causes more smoke than PID controllers that hold close temps. I was very interested in Grilla Grills until I read Amazon reviews. Most of the negative reviews are recent (2018). One concerned a fire hazard where a guys burn pot caught fire. I plan on doing some over night low and slow cooking and honestly this was a concern. Also it sounds like their great customer service basically left the guy hanging. I generally weigh more positive than negative reviews but fire hazards are HUGE concerns. This sucks because the Silverbac is probably in my top 3 grills I'm debating on! I'm currently strongly leaning towards the rec tec 700. Id rather spend a few hundred more for a grill I know will last and has outstanding reviews across the board. If I knew the grilla was solid I may consider otherwise. As of now i cant find a reason to not buy rec tec other than the price. And if I plan to have this grill for many many years then spending 1200 now is cheaper than spending 700 now then having to buy another in 3-5 years. Buy once cry once seems to apply to grills from what my research is finding.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Fires can happen on any brand of smoker.  They are rare, but they happen.  One of the things that was top of my list for a smoker is to have a firebox that the pellets drop into from above rather than enter through the firepot.  This is a much safer configuration in my opinion.  The original grilla had this, which is why it was on my list.  I bought a different pit though, and time will tell whether or not it was the right choice.  Definitely do your research and you will make the right choice for you.
    One of the reasons I bought my Louisiana LG900 was the fact that the pellets dropped into the fire pot.  I didn't sell the Grilla Grills at the time I was looking for pellet grills 2 years ago.  If I was buying now I do love the feature of the pellets dropping but I really think the price point of the Grilla Grills Silver Bac is a great deal and I might pull the trigger on one of those if I didn't have my LG900.  From reading it does seem like Grilla Grills has lots of good reviews overall.  Good luck with your search.  Very tough to pic out which grill to go with.

The pellets don't drop in on the Silverbac, only on the original Grilla.  I wound up going with the Smoke-N-Hot Outdoor Cooking Center.  It was, and still is a gamble, as there isn't much info on it out there.
  • #18 by Plant175 on 27 Dec 2018
  • Has anybody jumped on their Wednesday night live feed ? Each week you can ask some of the pro’s questions on grilling or smoking.
  • #19 by LowSlowJoe on 13 Mar 2019
  • Grilla Grills is now... the first Pellet Grill maker to offer a controller that works as a PID or , a traditional timed  on/off pellet feed setup.   They are touting this as the best of both worlds.

I personally think it's more marketing hype than real value, but hey, it is interesting that you could choose which to use on one of their grills in the new model year. 

If they had offered WiFi too, I might have bought a controller  to use on some other pellet grill I own, but without WiFi, it doesn't have enough appeal to me.
  • #20 by Bentley on 13 Mar 2019
  • I guess I am to arrogant, and a 3rd place finish at the American Royal open counts for nothing...but I though this site had all the Pro's that are needed?  Next time you ask the Pro's a question ask them one for me...what was their highest finish at the American Royal Open!

Has anybody jumped on their Wednesday night live feed ? Each week you can ask some of the pro’s questions on grilling or smoking.
  • #21 by LowSlowJoe on 14 Mar 2019
  • I was once paid to make some pulled pork, that makes me a pro. :)
  • #22 by dk117 on 14 Mar 2019
  • I was once paid to make some pulled pork, that makes me a pro. :)
    I cannot say I placed in the American Royal, nor ever competed in a real event but I did a catering gig once. 3 pork butts, 3 huge chuck roasts.  So I'm a pro too!   ;D

DK

PS  Plant175, it's all in good fun, but you do have some pro's here.   Especially our owners.
  • #23 by Kristin Meredith on 15 Mar 2019
  • I am sure that many other sites have a lot of very qualified cooks and pitmasters.  What always lurks in the back of my mind though, is that they are usually doing it as a business and so there are/maybe influences in their opinions or sites based on a monetary reason.

The membership of this site has some of the best cooks and pitmasters I have ever encountered.  The breath of knowledge and creativity is staggering -- and folks share unstintingly!!  If you pose a question, you usually get numerous replies and perspectives -- all from folks who are doing it from a love of cooking/grilling/bbqing/pelletcooking and no thought of any commercial benefit.  So you get a lot of different perspectives, tips and insights.  Something I don't feel any other site can offer!!!
  • #24 by pmillen on 15 Mar 2019
  • What always lurks in the back of my mind though, is that they are usually doing it as a business and so there are/maybe influences in their opinions or sites based on a monetary reason.

I share that thought.  I frequently see this kind of article on web sites or printed publications—"The Wham Gadget is the best XXXX made."  Then, on the following page, I find an ad for the Wham Gadget.  It seems reasonable that Wham Gadget will want to tell the public where to purchase their product, but most ads are just general information.  I always wonder if the ads generated the "Best XXXX" article.
  • #25 by Bentley on 15 Mar 2019
  • Wham Gadget...I like that one!  I have just renamed this!  Please don't sue me!

• #26 by GatorDave on 15 Mar 2019
  • Wham Gadget...I like that one!  I have just renamed this!  Please don't sue me!

That is one xxxx of a hairbrush.  Is that by Dyson? :rotf:
  • #27 by Bentley on 15 Mar 2019
  • If you can imagine, that was going to be a meat tenderizer!
  • #28 by cookingjnj on 15 Mar 2019
  • If you can imagine, that was going to be a meat tenderizer!

Wow, that gadget could tenderize a Chevrolet Bent!
  • #29 by Canadian John on 15 Mar 2019

•  I thought it was a back scratcher. Guess I was wrong.
  • #30 by Maynerd on 13 Aug 2019
  • So I'm considering a Grilla OG grill.  Talk me into or out of it please! :)
Pages:
Actions