Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tube Smokers  (Read 2375 times)

GatorDave

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Tube Smokers
« on: June 13, 2018, 08:28:00 AM »

I'm just looking for some info on tube smokers from anyone who uses them.  I'm thinking of getting one, because I definitely prefer a fairly heavy smoke profile, but I'm a bit worried about the smoke generated by them.  Do they produce a good clean smoke, or is it kind of creasotie because it is just smoldering rather than really burning?  Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Tube Smokers
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 08:46:03 AM »

I tried the amazin square and tube about 4-5 years ago.  It doesn't burn as clean as the pellet smoker, but I don't recall getting billowing smoke either.  However, that may be because I had it in a grill that had a fan blowing and may have helped it a bit.  They were not very expensive back then.  Buy one and try it.  Worst case, maybe you use it just for cold smoking cheese.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

GatorDave

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 08:58:50 AM »

I tried the amazin square and tube about 4-5 years ago.  It doesn't burn as clean as the pellet smoker, but I don't recall getting billowing smoke either.  However, that may be because I had it in a grill that had a fan blowing and may have helped it a bit.  They were not very expensive back then.  Buy one and try it.  Worst case, maybe you use it just for cold smoking cheese.

Is the smoke flavor they add good, or is it that bitter flavor you get when someone didn't keep the fire stoked correctly?

Th3Batman86

• I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 10:01:42 AM »

I have a 12" tube, never got it to work correctly. Fire would just burn out.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 10:08:54 AM »

Is the smoke flavor they add good, or is it that bitter flavor you get when someone didn't keep the fire stoked correctly?

It wasn't good enough for me from what I recall which is probably why I have not used it in 4-5 years.  In fact, I just pulled them out of my Traeger XL where they were "stored" because I have not used that grill in about that long.

They are only $20.  Buy one and try it.  I think that is the only way you are going to find out.  I as able to keep it lit, but you need a small torch to hold the flame on the pellets to start it for a few minutes.  Then, blow out the fire and let it smolder for hours.  If your grill is sealed tight without a second fan blowing air throughout the grill, you may struggle to keep it lit if it can't get enough air.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 11:57:54 AM »

Do they produce a good clean smoke, or is it kind of creasotie because it is just smoldering rather than really burning?  Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

There was a bit of a discussion here.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 12:33:10 PM »

I don't like it. Always made the food smell and taste a bit camp fire/ash tray to me. Lot's of folks use em though.

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 12:42:36 PM »

I have an Amazin Tray and a 12" tube also another manufacturer or 2. I have found with the tube if you have some wood chips I like to add them in it helps keep it going. To light stand it on end and light the top you will need to hold the torch there for 3 to 5 minutes at least. I then will allow it to burn for another 5 or so before blowing out. When I put it in I have a ball of foil I put under the lit end to keep it up and it seems to stay burning. I had issues in my electric because it is sealed up so well, so I bought a cheap fish pump and ran the air tube in to pump more air in which helped a lot.

GatorDave

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 01:53:36 PM »

Do they produce a good clean smoke, or is it kind of creasotie because it is just smoldering rather than really burning?  Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

There was a bit of a discussion here.

Doh!!  I don't know how I missed that thread.  I looked and didn't see anything and then posted...lol.  Man getting old is tough.

Conumdrum

• I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 07:05:41 PM »

I have been using AMNPTS for 4 years.  Yes they 'can' be tough to keep lit. I have used it for my Yoder. my Weber, my ol' electric smoker tons of times.  I got it figured out.  Don't stuff the tube full of pellets.  When in the horizontal position there should be a 1/2" or so gap at the top all the way down for air space.  You don't need to pack it silly full.  Give it lots of fire using a small hobby butane torch (Lowes/HD) or a propane torch.  Let it burn for 3-5 min.  Blow it out and get the smoke.

It's a good product. 
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Mudflap

• Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 11:44:52 PM »

You could always try and make your own to see if you like it...I used a $5 ST water bottle.

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

TLK

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 07:03:08 AM »

I also like a heavier smoke profile and use a 12" tube.  As others mentioned, it takes a blow torch to get it going but I think it is worth the effort. 
YS640 Silver Spring, MD  Happy Wife - Happy Life!

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 07:38:45 AM »

I use a smoke tube by A-maze-n every time I smoke something.  I also use a propane torch for lighting.  It has stayed lit every time with the exception of when I used it in my Copperhead 5 vertical smoker.  But that was an issue with the smoker and not the smoke tube.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:40:59 AM by reubenray »
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 07:46:41 AM »

It has stayed lit every time with the exception of when I used it in my Copperhead 5 vertical smoker.  But that was an issue with the smoker and not the smoke tube.

I think that is because of the seal created by the lock on the door that probably doesn't allow for as much air circulation as in most other smokers.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 09:00:54 AM »

Has anyone tried liquid smoke applied to the meat at seasoning time?  There are different flavours available.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up