Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Kenmore Pellet Smoker  (Read 7510 times)

GatorDave

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Kenmore Pellet Smoker
« on: June 21, 2018, 08:31:33 AM »

What do you guys think of this thing? 

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-wood-pellet-smoker-grill-with-stainless-steel/p-A017254338?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4#

It's $360 with the 10% discount they are offering. 

It is an almost exact clone of the Silverbac minus the upgraded controller, storage cabinet, moved chimney, and some of the stainless.  I'm just wondering if the extras are worth the extra $350 to get the Silverbac.

Zgrills has one that is an exact copy of the Silverbac, except for the stainless and upgraded controller.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Kenmore Pellet Smoker
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 09:02:23 AM »

Give it a try if funds are tight for you knowing that you will get zero support from Sears.  I think worst case scenario, you may need to retrofit with a secondary market controller.  If you find that you like the flavor of cooking on a pellet grill, you can always upgrade to something more expensive later.  Doesn't look much different than a Traeger.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

GatorDave

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 09:22:34 AM »

I'm more of a get it right the first time kind of shopper, although I'm also a don't spend money I don't need to kind of shopper...lol.  I'm just curious if the upgrades on the Silverbac are worth twice the cost.  That being said, I'm leaning towards the original Grilla at this point anyhow.  I just can't seem to stop finding new pellet grills to consider though.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 10:14:15 AM »

I don't know if the new controller, stainless steel, storage cabinet and chimney relocation are worth the extra investment.  Grilla's market research must indicate that the majority of their prospective customers will think they are.

That's a lot of pit for $360.  If you decide to sell it you can probably get at least half of your money back, so you're risking, maybe, $180.  You may get support from Grilla, but you can always count on the Pellet Fan community.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:18:49 AM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

dk117

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 12:51:06 PM »

That's a lot of pit for $360.
+1 

This is priced like a cheap gasser.  This could get a lot of regular folks into Pellets.  I honestly don't think it's for us pelletfans, but this will most certainly raise our membership. 

DK

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 04:16:02 PM »

So who makes this for Kenmore?  Louisiana Grills?  Camp Chef?
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 04:31:04 PM »

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

GatorDave

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 05:08:43 PM »

I think it is whoever makes the Grilla Silverbac.  It is almost identical.  The Zgrills must also be made by the same place.  I'm curious whether that was Grilla's design or not.  Having your intellectual property stolen is one of the dangers of doing business over there.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 05:11:57 PM »

https://www.zgrills.com/

Just saw a Business Insider story online about their grills today.  Saw another one yesterday about a new Traeger tailgate grill too.  Lotsa press about pellet grills lately.  I liked being part of a smaller underground type community.  Not going to be a big fan if pellet grills go mainstream.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bobitis

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 06:45:59 PM »

I think it is whoever makes the Grilla Silverbac.  It is almost identical.  The Zgrills must also be made by the same place.  I'm curious whether that was Grilla's design or not.  Having your intellectual property stolen is one of the dangers of doing business over there.

Over there?

Click on the link I posted and the click on 'freegrill'. They're made 'here' and they've made pits for several different brands.
Pick one of their upper end units and they'll give you your money back after a few years. THAT'S impressive...

gkas

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 06:48:57 PM »

Who would buy ANYTHING from Sears???  ???
Rec Tec RT-700

Bobitis

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 07:11:53 PM »

I've bought a ton of stuff from Sears. Craftsman tools are guaranteed for life. Break a tool? Take it back and get a new one. No questions asked. My Dad bought each of us a Winchester model 70 single shot .22 rifle. While my friends are giddy shooting pop cans at 30 yards with their 10/22's, I'm picking twigs off of branches.

Sears is like any other retailer. They sell lottsa other peoples stuff.

GatorDave

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 07:52:44 PM »

Over there?

Click on the link I posted and the click on 'freegrill'. They're made 'here' and they've made pits for several different brands.
Pick one of their upper end units and they'll give you your money back after a few years. THAT'S impressive...

It says right on their site that they are made in China.  They say they are a proud American brand, but the grills are made in China.  I guarantee that the same company that produces the Grilla Silverbac also produces the Zgrill.  Whose design was it, I don't know, but they are basically identical grills.  As far as that Freegrill thing goes, the company would have to still be in business to get your money in five years.  I'm definitely not going to risk buying a grill I'm unsure of in the hopes that I'll get my money back down the road.

Bobitis

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 08:09:27 PM »

I justly stand corrected. Thank you for pointing out my lack of research beyond the 'headlines'.

Seriously... I do appreciate it.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 12:44:37 PM »

I just heard on the local news that Sears has filed for bankruptcy.  I don't have details but will sleuth around.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up