Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke-N-Hot Grills  (Read 3048 times)

RanrocSmoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Smoke-N-Hot Grills
« on: June 21, 2018, 11:48:22 PM »

Hey all,

Does anyone know anything about Smoke-N-Hot grills? They have an impressive looking Outdoor Cooking Center (Amazon lists at over $2400 for 2nd Gen), and aside from the specs and video on the company's site (304 SS, 2 inch walls, 23 lb hopper, 1400+ sq inches, 180-650 degrees, looks like a Roanoke PID, 5 yr limited warranty)...does anyone know anything about the company, how long it's been around, have you seen one in action or how of an owner that is willing to share their thoughts on how well it cooks? Anyone hear of it being good/bad/mediocre?

I'm a little cautious about putting these on my short list, especially because their web site lists them as out of Dallas, but the owner's manual lists a Washington address for contact.

They also have an interesting "Kansas City Grill" coming out this August, and just based on the descriptions and pics I've seen, I'm really hoping to get some insight from anyone here before I start saving up my pennies.

Thanks!
-RRS
-----
Smoke-n-Hot Grills Eco
Weber Kettle

GatorDave

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Re: Smoke-N-Hot Grills
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 08:12:02 AM »

That is a nice looking unit.  Time to do some research.

GatorDave

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 08:33:48 AM »

Ugh.  You do realize that I just made a long winded speech about how I finally decided on a pellet grill, and you have now distracted me with another shiny thing.  Looking at their videos, this thing looks pretty impressive.  It kind of has everything I have been looking for.  Now it's just a matter of trying to figure out the construction quality of it.

GatorDave

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 08:43:29 AM »

Hey all,

I'm a little cautious about putting these on my short list, especially because their web site lists them as out of Dallas, but the owner's manual lists a Washington address for contact.

They also have an interesting "Kansas City Grill" coming out this August, and just based on the descriptions and pics I've seen, I'm really hoping to get some insight from anyone here before I start saving up my pennies.

Thanks!
-RRS

The address on their website is also a UPS Store, which is something to think about as well.  I'm going to guess that support for this grill might be tough sledding.

GatorDave

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 09:23:49 AM »

With a little further digging, their warranty is a bit scary.  They only cover parts that are returned to their factory and they deem them faulty.  If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like the grill owner would be responsible for shipping costs if Smoke-N-Hot deems them not faulty.  It also may mean that the grill owner pays for shipping regardless.  Maybe Kristen can do the legalese on statement below.

"Smoke-N-Hot Grills will repair or replace parts returned to Smoke-N-Hot Grills, freight prepaid, if the part(s) are found by Smoke-N-Hot Grills to be defective upon examination. Smoke-N-Hot Grills shall not be liable for transportation charges, labor costs, or export duties."

Either way, I'm not getting the warm fuzzies from their warranty.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 09:27:39 AM »

I don't understand what they are saying.  If they determine it is defective they will repair, but in the next sentence they say that they won't cover labor costs?  Makes no sense.

GatorDave

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 09:32:17 AM »

Yep, scary warranty.  It's a shame, because this pit looks to be exactly what I have been looking for.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 09:34:41 AM »

I remember the look from about four years ago when Bentley had some correspondence or conversation with them.  Hopefully, he'll comment, since I don't recall any details because I wasn't interested.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

slaga

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 11:04:26 AM »

I don't understand what they are saying.  If they determine it is defective they will repair, but in the next sentence they say that they won't cover labor costs?  Makes no sense.
I interpret that to mean the owner pays for shipping part(s) to them and prepays for the return shipment. The manufacturer will review the part(s) and if they find it/them faulty, they will replace the part(s) that the owner prepaid to return ship. The owner must remove and replace the part(s) or find someone else to do it on their own dime and pay for shipping in both directions.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 11:06:46 AM by slaga »
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 11:09:13 AM »

I’ve found that warranty and customer service are important with pellet smokers. Too many moving parts and electric components compared to a gas grill or stick burner. I’ve had a few minor issues and replacement parts were sent Priority Mail the same day I called or right away the next day.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

GatorDave

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 12:23:57 PM »

Ok, I have some more info on them.  The pits are built in China.  The company used to be in Washington, but has relocated twice since then, Oregon, and now Texas.  The pits are 100% 304 stainless except for the auger.  The control appears to be the same one that is used on the Blaz'n grills.  I may have to pull the trigger on this one even with some of the things that make me leery about it.  It is just that this one is the perfect grill for me.

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 12:46:10 PM »

For the price why not just buy a Mak or Memphis?  That’s too much money to spend on a little known product/company.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

GatorDave

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 01:34:35 PM »

For the price why not just buy a Mak or Memphis?  That’s too much money to spend on a little known product/company.

When I looked at the MAK's in person, there were so many parts in play to have to move and remove for cleaning.  It looked like a real pain in the rear end to me.  Also the price was  up beyond what I really hoping to spend.  Price wasn't a deal breaker, but it was in the con column.  Plus there was something else that turned me off of the MAK's, and for the life of me I can't remember what it was right now.  I just remember it was important at the time.  The Memphis grills were even more expensive than the MAK's.  Plus I read more than once that their efficiency caused them to create an even lower smoke profile than other grills.  I have also read the opposite of that, so I wasn't sure what to believe in that department.  Plus, if I was getting up into the price ranges of the Memphis, I could almost get into one of those Cookshack FEC100's.  I really liked those, but could not bring myself to spend that much.

I really like the design of this new pit, from the large cooking area, to the easy to clean firebox and cooking grates.  If you go to their website and watch the videos, it really is an impressive looking pit.  The questions about the company are the only thing holding me back.  I can get the pit for under $2000 delivered off of Amazon with a coupon I found.  It's just deciding how much of a gambler I am.  I can purchase a pit that I would be perfectly happy with, or I can gamble and get the pit that is exactly what I have been looking for all of this time.  It's just a matter of deciding which way to go, which brings me right back to the holding pattern I have been in all of this time. :(

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 02:11:57 PM »

They have youtube vids going back to 2014 so they have been around for a while. There really isn't much to go wrong with any of them, contoller, auger motor and fan. If it really is 304SS it will last a long time so you should not have any issues there. Most of the moving parts can be sourced economically as most use the same components.

I like the design, and foot print, be really nice if the dome was insulated, but it doesn't look like it is from some of the pictures. Not sure on the 2K price, for that coin I may loo at the Pits n Spits Mav 1250. It is only about 200 Sq in smaller cooking space, be nice if they gave rack dimensions on the Smoke n Hot.

GatorDave

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 02:15:52 PM »

They have youtube vids going back to 2014 so they have been around for a while. There really isn't much to go wrong with any of them, contoller, auger motor and fan. If it really is 304SS it will last a long time so you should not have any issues there. Most of the moving parts can be sourced economically as most use the same components.

I like the design, and foot print, be really nice if the dome was insulated, but it doesn't look like it is from some of the pictures. Not sure on the 2K price, for that coin I may loo at the Pits n Spits Mav 1250. It is only about 200 Sq in smaller cooking space, be nice if they gave rack dimensions on the Smoke n Hot.

It's 2" double walled.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up